Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 8:21pm

Style: Hawaiian Okinawan Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice against boxers?

I do kickboxing and today I was sparring with a friend of mine, who's starting out with martial arts, at the park. So I was helping him.

Then a boxer came and asked if he could spar with us, so I said yes. His jabs were fast and he had good head movement. I couldn't land any head shots, so I threw mostly bodyshots.

I was wondering if there's any drills I could do to hit boxers or guys that have good head movement? Because everything time I threw a head shot, he weaved to his right, leaving his body open, so I just kept throwing right hooks to his body. However, his jabs are also really fast and I ate most of em. So I was wondering if there are any drills I could do to better my jab defense? His jabs were really fast, but they weren't that powerful though, which is why I just threw body shots while eating his jabs.

Thanks for the replies.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 8:30pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming you were just boxing:

Turn your right hand in (assuming you're orthodox) to catch the jab on the palm of your hand while countering with your own jab.

Also an overhand right can counter a jab, as can moving ones hand to the right and counter jabbing.

To counter headmovement you can fake a jab or the like and see how they react, throw a fake every now and then and watch how they move, then fake again and hit them wherever they move to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 8:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I see. Yes, we were just boxing, cus I didn't have any shin guards. Also I am orthodox. I'll try practicing catching his jab with my right hand. I tried to fake jabbing, but to no avail. He had longer reach than me, so he just hit me with his jab when I faked mine. >_< His head movement really annoyed me. I remember trying the overhand right in our first round, but he jabbed then weaved to his right, right after. Lol, I remember landing left hooks to his head a couple times though. Thanks for the advice.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 8:41pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try stealing some of his headmovement game and weaving your way in to fight on the inside. Jab dont work on the inside :)

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Body/head combos. Jab to the head, cross to the body, hook to the head etc. etc.

I swear we're gonna make videos covering this kind of crap sooner or later.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 8:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's a boxing match, odds are the boxer is gonna beat you. It's what he trains for specifically. Just like if it was kickboxing, you'd prolly have a better chance. That being said, the above advice is very good (I always forget to counter with the jab after catching the jab).
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 8:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMM! Good advice! I remember I actually did that, but that only the last 10 secs of the final round. My friend said there was 10 secs left, and then he just rushed in throwing jabs. That pissed me off and I just moved to the right and threw a hard body shot. Then I closed in and threw a couple more. He couldn't hit me when I did that. Thanks for pointing that out. When I did it, I didn't really think of what I was doing, I was just angry and felt like unloading on him. Thanks for pointing that out.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 9:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i took boxing along with my TKD, and when i first started it was really really hard. Practice until you get used to the different types of body movements. Practice Practice Practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 9:59pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since he seemed to make a point of weaving to the right, an idea worth trying could have been getting him to weave with a feint or something, then catching him with an uppercut while his head was down. Happened to me once in a sparring match, so unless we're talking about different situations that could have been viable to an extent.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, a lot of people move in a pattern rather than intelligently. If you can catch the pattern, you can attack it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast