Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 9:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude. I have SOOOO many complaints with Bullshido but it totally has the best collection of smileys.

lol.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:17am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignoring the issue of multi-man, as was asked (and I agree it can be a cluster-flop of a situation to discuss, let alone deal with), I definitely think grappling has a place on the street. Not BJJ point grappling, with nice armbars and kimuras, but throws (complete with follow through "slams"), standing arm locks, chokes, etc are all quite effective.

Hell, police officers have to rely ton these techniques to avoid excessive force. The obviously work.

However, I still think few thinks are as time efficient as a punch to the face/kick to the knee. But sometimes you don't want or don't have the angle for that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, I moved this out of the training thread because, you guys were getting technique specific (hip throws and multiple attackers).

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you CMA guys get a Guojia Anquan Bu section? I would like to see some of the Lock -> Throw techniques of SC. I'm looking at you Omar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 6:29pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually i would say that some stand up grapples and throws are more effiecient than the old punch to the face/ kick to the knee. depends on the situation and the outcome that you require.... certainly in the case of pre-emption strike to face kick to knee is good, but how often is that the course of a fight (pre-emption) If you are grabbed at the outset (read clinch not wrist grab please) control and lock of a joint coupled with throw can be a good option.

It is far better to be versed in multiple ranges than to rely on one. Personally my ground game is not crash hot though it is sufficient for the str33t (whatever that is). i prefer striking and locking/tripping.... and even more so i prefer avoiding...

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 6:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Can you CMA guys get a Guojia Anquan Bu section? I would like to see some of the Lock -> Throw techniques of SC. I'm looking at you Omar.
    Why not start the thread yourself. I may clean up the Piquan thread a little more and make it a sticky. I'll discuss it with RM.

This place is a work in progress.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 6:50pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason

However, I still think few thinks are as time efficient as a punch to the face/kick to the knee. But sometimes you don't want or don't have the angle for that.
    When you say a kick to the knee, what exactly are you referring to? Thai style round kicks? Front kick to kneecap? Either?

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Starting Over... Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to spend a little time on this and then go back to work. There may be follow up later.

I used to agree with many of the things said on this thread, in theory. Then I learned some and more importantly, I applied my actual real life experience to theory. Hence Praxis.

If you are going to be a street fighter, and I mean a street fighter not a one dimensional bar fighter, grappling training is essenstial

If you are going to deal with multiple attackers, grappling training is essential.

If you are going to be ONE of the Multiple Attackers, grappling training is essential.

Reasons:

1) If you dont want to go to the ground, you need to train to throw people and train to not be thrown on the fucking ground

2) If you do go to the ground you want to break the hold and get up.

3) If you are forced to go to the ground you want to win there.

4) If you get thrown on the hard ass pavement mayhaps you better be up on your breakfalls and not blowing that part of your training off because you know that "stuff" already.

5) If you deal with multiple attackers, one is going to grab you so his friends can beat on you. How do avoid this? Learn to fucking grapple.

6) At the end of every streetfight the authorities arrive. If you are still there guess what? The cops are going to grapple you and take you to jail. Wish to avoid this? Learn to grapple.

7) When you get to jail and you dont want to give up your fruitcup and your sugar packets guess what? Your fighting in a small place. Learn to grapple.

8) When you got to get with a bunch of your friends and deal with some shitbag that has it comming he's gonna run. Learn to grapple. then he wont get away.

9) They brought a stick. Close the gap. Learn to grapple. Stick is useless. See Dog Brothers for more reference.

10) Do I really need a reason number 10?

Streetfighting needs grappling. Period

Grappling is part of a complete balanced breakfest. I dont care what kind. To be a good fighter, sport or street, you must train all ranges.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/21/2007 1:45am at .

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 8:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    When you say a kick to the knee, what exactly are you referring to? Thai style round kicks? Front kick to kneecap? Either?
    Depends on the angle. Ideally, if I want to completely disable/cripple someone, it would be a side kick at a 45-degree angle assuming the target is open. Front kicks aren't as effective, but a Thai round kick can also work, although it's easier to counter.

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 8:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa
    I'm going to spend a little time on this and then go back to work. There may be follow up later.

I used to agree with many of the things said on this thread, in theory. Then I learned some and more importantly, I applied my actual real life experience to theory. Hence Praxis.

If you are going to be a street fighter, and I mean a street fighter not a one dimensional bar fighter, grappling training is essenstial

If you are going to deal with multiple attackers, grappling training is essential.

If you are going to be ONE of the Multiple Attackers, grappling training is essential.

Reasons:

1) If you dont want to go to the ground, you need to train to throw people and train to not be thrown on the fucking ground

2) If you do go to the ground you want to break the hold and get up.

3) If you are forced to go to the ground you want to win there.

4) If you get thrown on the hard ass pavement mayhaps you better be up on your breakfalls and not blowing that part of your training off because you know that "stuff" already.

5) If you deal with multiple attackers, one is going to grab you so his friends can beat on you. How do avoid this? Learn to fucking grapple.

6) At the end of every streetfight the authorities arrive. If you are still there guess what? The cops are going to grapple you and take you to jail. Wish to avoid this? Learn to grapple.

7) When you get to jail and you dont want to give up your fruitcup and your sugar packets guess what? Your fighting in a small place. Learn to grapple.

8) When you got to get with a bunch of your friends and deal with some shitbag that has it comming he's gonna run. Learn to grapple. then he wont get away.

9) They brought a stick. Close the gap. Learn to grapple. Stick is useless. See Dog Brothers for more reference.

10) Do I really need a reason number 10?

Streetfighting needs grappling. Period

Grappling is part of a complete balanced breakfest. I dont care what kind. To be a good fighter, sport or street, you must train all ranges.
    I, and most others, never said grappling training wasn't neccesary. My position is quite the opposite really. Rather I said using my grappling as my primary method of streetfighting is not a smart move, and that as a general policy I would rather punch someone than armbar them.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/21/2007 1:47am at .
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast