Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 10:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, MT, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vinton, VA - Optimum Martial Arts

James Collie is the instructor at OMA. He has a good size training area per the amount of students. There is an abundance of matting and traning gear. He has some weights, heavy bags, focus mits, gloves, headgear, escrima sticks. rubber knives and guns.He teaches Karate and I believe he used to teach TKD. What I did was called a fight class.
    "Self Defense for the Street, Western Boxing, American Kickboxing, Submission grappling." This class cost me 65.00 / month for 1-1hr. class a week. We worked more on striking with the focus mits than anything else. Most of the grappling we did was to avoid going down or protect yourself when you got taken down. We would also do a lot of sprawling. We also did the Kali. I also enjoyed doing gun work there. I would bring my unloaded Glock into class and get a lesson on fast his knive could be! There is also a cross fitness training class that guarentees you will lose x-amount of pounds in x-amount of time. About the only complaint I have is he would let it get very hot in the summer time. Usually the fight class would consist of me and one other guy about my size which worked out great. Overall it was a relaxed & friendly atmosphere. My only reason for leaving is instead of having one 30 yo teaching everything I will have 3 seperate instructors for three seperate arts at the new school I'm attending.
    Last edited by BubbaBuck; 2/19/2007 8:36pm at . Reason: Adding some more imformation because DeBul937 said my reviews sucked.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 8:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, one more thing I should have added was that we did a lot of acting, role playing for reality effect. He was a big Tony Blauer fan.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 11:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaBuck
    This class cost me 65.00 / month for 1-1hr. class a week.
    How could you have learned anything of any real value in 1-hour a week workout? That's a rather silly concept unless you're having to pay more for additional hours.

I also enjoyed doing gun work there. I would bring my unloaded Glock into class
    Why would you need to bring a real gun? Who are you, phil elmore?

Usually the fight class would consist of me and one other guy about my size which worked out great.
    Any real benefit in training is derived from squaring off against individuals that are larger than yourself.

Oh yeah, one more thing I should have added was that we did a lot of acting, role playing for reality effect. He was a big Tony Blauer fan.
    Tony Blauers a Canadian.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 9:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How could you have learned anything of any real value in 1-hour a week workout? That's a rather silly concept unless you're having to pay more for additional hours.
    Agreed. 1 hr. is not enough. More hrs. = more cash.

Why would you need to bring a real gun? Who are you, phil elmore?
    Because you should practice with the gun that you carry so if you have to use it you are farmiliar with it. No, I am not Phil Elmore.

Any real benefit in training is derived from squaring off against individuals that are larger than yourself.
    That would be true if I was only to get in a real fight with people larger than myself. I agree that it is good to train with larger people but it is even better to train with different size, shape, and variety of people.

Tony Blauers a Canadian.
    So.