Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 1:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Left Jab

Watched Ali in one of his early fights on TV and revamped my doing and teaching of jabs. I have a good left jab, thanks to Kajukenbo and Kyokushin bbs who took the time, thanks guys, I've kept a lot of people off me and bloodied a few too aggressive noses and lips.

Anyway Ali lifts his back leg and leans in while whip-sticking the jab - really getting his body into it. Kajukenbo got me speed (mirror speed drills) and Kyokushin got me footwork of moving the left foot forward six inches with the punch, setting up more punches or grabbing the neck for knee strikes and such. And Shorei Ryu Kempo taught lifting the back leg to help put the body into the punch, but that was more of a lower sliding-the-weight-in and body center forward - common in many Japanese karate styles.

When Ali does it he looks kinda like a teeter totter. His body weight is off balance toward his opponent and it's done with real commitment and the weight kept much higher than I've ever seen. He sometimes is on his toes. No wonder why his jabs were so effective. I've been trying to imitate this move and it's given me a much more powerful strike.

The problem is that this move does leave one unbalanced. Ali's left leg is sometimes all the way straight and he's almost falls toward the opponent. Because he was a super skilled very coordinated human, he usually recovered fast enough to avoid getting hurt from using a *vulnerable* position. A position that most people might be left open to uppercuts or whatever.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 3:27am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man, telling yourself "I'm going to fight like ali" can either be super awesome or super dangerous.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 3:38am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Angelo Dundee said that Ali used to drive him crazy from a technical standpoint. There are a lot of things he could get away with because of his natural ability.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 5:32am

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    Angelo Dundee said that Ali used to drive him crazy from a technical standpoint. There are a lot of things he could get away with because of his natural ability.
    You can say that again!

Notice how Ali keeps his hands WAY down near his waist. Also note his god like hand speed about 1:56 (edit: 3:07 here) in the clip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYZ2x1XF0Hg

No mere mortal can do this.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it's the weight from the fall that gave his punches power?
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 10:25am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people I've heard describe their jab say they step forward a bit then throw the jab as they lift their back leg up to shuffle it forward. What's the general opinion on pushing off of the back leg while throwing the jab and then shuffling the rear leg up as you retract the jab? I've noticed when I throw the jab that way it makes my stance a bit longer which makes it easier for me to throw kicks. The downside I've run into is that when I throw the jab that way and follow it up with a cross I don't get the same kind of range on the cross. Any other opinions on that?

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 5:25pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    So it's the weight from the fall that gave his punches power?
    Check out the Jack Dempsey thread in this forum. There is a link to a downloadable copy of his book there. Some very good reading on how to thow a power left.

:bully:

The bull is doing it right. Notice the step with the lead leg and the weight shift while throwing the punch.

Hit something, be happy.:boxing:

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Most people I've heard describe their jab say they step forward a bit then throw the jab as they lift their back leg up to shuffle it forward.
    Push forward with your back foot, sending the weight of your body forward while lifting your lead foot slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    What's the general opinion on pushing off of the back leg while throwing the jab and then shuffling the rear leg up as you retract the jab? I've noticed when I throw the jab that way it makes my stance a bit longer which makes it easier for me to throw kicks. The downside I've run into is that when I throw the jab that way and follow it up with a cross I don't get the same kind of range on the cross. Any other opinions on that?
    I use different footwork when I throw a jab or a jab/rear round kick. If I throw a jab, I pop forward and back, bouncing on the lead foot a bit. If I throw a jab/rear round kick, I make the 45 degree step which throws off my jab a bit, but sets up the kick. When throwing punch combinations I try to keep my legs shoulder width apart (now wider, no narrower) to maintain mobility (punches flow easier from that stance, in my opinion).

Also, it sounds like you're probably overstepping on the jab. As it was taught to me by my boxing coach, you should barely be making much of a step. More, lifting your foot slightly enough so that you can move. One of the things my boxing coaches had to pound into my head was making the step without really bringing my foot off the ground and making it a subtle motion.

Bleep bleep blip bloop... Now I'm starting to remember all the things I do now that my boxing coach would be yelling at me for ::toothy3: :
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 9:24am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. I'll have to troubleshoot my jab a little more with that in mind. See if I can smooth the step out some.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to be a skilled fighter to carry your hands low and get away with it.
    As far as the left jab goes, that is probably mt best punch. Kiddo gave you the right advice..you'll feel the energy generate from your back foot on up if you throw a stiff jab properly.
    Personally, I think it is one of the best weapons a fighter can have. Keeps your opponent off balance and makes him hesitant to try and come in on you.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast