• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 12:05pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Author of Philosophy of Fighting: Morals and Motivations of the Modern Warrior Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started doing MMA after 30 and it felt fine. But you gotta know what you're getting into. Watch an event a few times before getting involved. Make sure they have ring doctors, responsible refereeing, fair match ups, etc. Also, make sure you go to the doctor, tell him what you plan on doing, and make sure you're body can handle it.

As for how old is too old, I feel that the upper real limit for taking punches to the head is 45...and that's pushing it. Most guys are done getting their jello shook by 40. But you can still compete in grappling into your 50's.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 12:42pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't start training with the intention to compete in NHB MMA events until 30. But I have trained wrestling/boxing/kickboxing for 25/10/6 years respectively. I'd say coming from no training what so ever you'd be at a disadvantage but really nothing is impossible. There are plenty of guys in say the UFC who are pretty "new" to MMA and are in the late 20's to early 30's. As to the odd of going far and being a world champ I'd have to agree that the odds go down dramaticaly the older you get. But you'll only go as far as you want. I'd love to fight in the UFC but I also have a resposibility to my family to bring home the bacon on a regular and reliable basis so I a doubtfull I'll ever quit my carreer to be a full time fighter. And in todays MMA environment more and more fighters are true proffesional fighters. I mean that's all they do it train and fight. So I know I am limiting myself but it's acceptable for me.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 10:41am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure i read that Rich Franklin didn't start training for MMA until he was in his late twenties and he was a world champ by (i think) 32. He's a big inspiration for me, although i'm not sure how much fighting experience he had prior to this

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 4:31am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible to go 'pro' though?

Even with MMA's rising popularity?

I just want to have enough fights where i can open up a school without feeling like a poser.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 6:12am

Style: Muay Thai, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i started training just a little over a year ago (24 at the time) but have been training on and off this year mainly because of school and work... i hate it when life gets in the way of fun.

i'd like to at least get a few amateur fights. 1 professional fight would be great if possible.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 8:38am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think its pretty much a case by case basis by individual. Some guys could train just a little and be ready at 35, some guys could train for years and never be ready.

In general though, healing is a bitch the older you get...
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 8:56am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are uninjured and have no medical problems, then pick the oldest still competing MMA fighter you can find. If you are younger than them, then you aren't too old.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 9:39am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Randy is 43?! Wow just wow kudos to him still fighting and winning while other guys his age are hurting their backs mowing the fucking lawns. He is the John Glenn of fighting, going in to fucking space while his peers are having trouble venturing out to the store. I love it when people stare impossible in the face and laugh. BTW does anyone know how old Ken Shamrock is?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 12:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kracker
    Randy is 43?! Wow just wow kudos to him still fighting and winning while other guys his age are hurting their backs mowing the fucking lawns. He is the John Glenn of fighting, going in to fucking space while his peers are having trouble venturing out to the store. I love it when people stare impossible in the face and laugh. BTW does anyone know how old Ken Shamrock is?
    Dan Severn is 50. He fought seven times this year, three times in February alone, losing only once.

He truly is a beast.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 1:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm on the down hill side of 40 and I'd like to get an amateur MMA fight in under my belt if I can get this sub-arachnoid cyst removed from my frontal lobe. I don't know about professional fights, though. Even at the bush league level, most of the fighters are in their late teens and early twenties and have way more time to train than I do.

Randy and Dan are full-time proffesional fighters that have training and experience back from when they were teenagers, so I don't know if you can really compare them to somone just starting out training in an MA in their 30s or even someone who has done an MA for a long time, but is in their late 30s or 40s and hasn't competed in a long time. Even though I started TKD when I was 15, I haven't trained for competition since my wife found out about this cyst when I was 28 and made me hang it up (truth to tell, I was strongly considering hanging it up anyway because I wasn't having much fun competing when I had to worry about dying in the ring), so I am far from being in shape for competition and I've found that at my age it takes a hell of a lot more work to get back into shape than it did when I was in my 20s.
    Last edited by TEA; 6/29/2007 1:23pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast