25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 12:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See that's why I don't like the statement "MMA striking looks slopy"

There's a reason why it looks the way it does due to the inclusion of different ranges and techniques.

If TNA practioners want to find ways to incorporate their particular style into MMA they need to undersatnd that it's not sloppy striking but different and once they understand the dynamic of why MMA fighters fight the way they do look at their own techniques and forms and fins the applications that fit that dynamic.

AND

The adapt the training methodology to turn this from theory to practice.

Hole in one.

Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 2:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??

What happened is form fairies ( I was one) do this:

Which is fine for health, strength, and flexibility. The problem is, many say hey this is SD.
    Yet, you never spar and meditate in these stances for days on end. That is what most people think is kung fu.

This is made up wu-shu bullshit. The sooner people make the distinction, the sooner we get off using this as an example of what TCMA can do.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Yes i do.

Are you asking if I am saying that the old clip the guys are standing in Cat stance when they spar?
    I thought you were saying it was Crane, but it looked to me like Cat. It doesn't matter, though. As you say, the point is that you could try it in sparring.

My point though was I never use this stance in sparing but I am going to try and mix it in with the Muat Thai stance and see if I can use it to screw people up and through a quick front kick off my lead leg when they think I am going to do a roundhouse.
    We used it often, as part of awase kumite. It's supposed to protect the groin, and allow for quick lead leg, rib and groin kicks, but it's hard to get stable. I think the years required to get it workable could be better spent.

But I'd be interested to see you try it, particularly as Fu Tai Chi seems to spend most of its time in Cat Stance.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 3:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We'll see, my theory right now is that cat stance is good for throwing a lead front kick from close range.

But I wouldn't stay in that stance too long as we also do take downs and the closeness of the feet make it easy to be double legged.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We'll see, my theory right now is that cat stance is good for throwing a lead front kick from close range.

But I wouldn't stay in that stance too long as we also do take downs and the closeness of the feet make it easy to be double legged.
    It's great for all lead kicks, except the high ones. Having all of your weight on your back leg (while having this leg bent) leaves your front leg free, with plenty of opportunity to swivel.

But, yeah, it's a disaster as far as groundfighting (or anything else). We were taught to have entire sparring sessions in nekuwashi dachi - I reckon you should just drop in, kick, maybe switch stance a couple of times, then get out.

Video please.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 3:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfuownsyou
    This is made up wu-shu bullshit. The sooner people make the distinction, the sooner we get off using this as an example of what TCMA can do.

I said

That is what most people think is kung fu.
    Sounds like, in this rare instance, we are on the same page.

Achievements:
    Your first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 5:04pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See that's why I don't like the statement "MMA striking looks slopy"

There's a reason why it looks the way it does due to the inclusion of different ranges and techniques.

If TNA practioners want to find ways to incorporate their particular style into MMA they need to undersatnd that it's not sloppy striking but different and once they understand the dynamic of why MMA fighters fight the way they do look at their own techniques and forms and fins the applications that fit that dynamic.

AND

The adapt the training methodology to turn this from theory to practice.
    I said most MMA fighters look sloppy because they are. The good ones (in the UFC at least, which I follow the most) include Lidell, GSP, and Silva (and now Cro Cop) who have a whole different level of precision than most people who throw punchers in there. People don't explode when they strike, don't recoil fast, and don't use their hips. Those that do tend to win, a lot.

"The reason it looks the way that it does" is because the majority of the people there have less than 10 years of experience (especially with striking) and it takes a good long while to master it.

Btw, when I mean good striking, I am not talking verses a static bag with a flowery move. I am talking a nice backfist, jab, hook, etc, ridgehand, etc, all of which exist in TMA, and all of which should be able to look clean, crisp and have power and speed against a moving, fighting opponent.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 5:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again I don't agree with idea of their striking being "Sloppy" The term implies a lack of strategy, planing or technique. What a lot of people don't understand is that - especially for grapplers, striking is a means o a different end than a striker.

Randy Coture has "sloppy" striking, yet it works perfectly with his style which is to get in close, use punches to open them up, slam and GnP them to victory.

saying that he's a "sloppy" striker while is true from a purely technical point of view is wrong in the MMA scheme of things.

In MMA strikes are not just for knocking people out but for baiting and setting up takedowns and submisions.

This CSW Erik Paulson vid demonstreates this beautifully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYtwzQO876Y

Achievements:
    Your first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 6:18pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sloppiness does not imply a lack of skill or purpose, but it does imply poor(er) technique, with resulting less power, speed, etc. Randy Couture has amazing grappling and ground and pound, but he would be a better fighter if his strikes were more of a threat to his opponent directly.

Personally, I believe any strike thrown should either be 1) a fake, or 2) meant to hurt you. Striking to setup grappling follows under example 1, but many of the fakes MMA fighters use are still "sloppy," ie obvious that they are faking.

Finally, I fight from a self-defense perspective, and grappling, while great one on one, is NOT a primary strategy for self-defense, especially in 2+ on 1 situations. Grappling is great, everyone should know it some extent and be able to defend against it well, but you got to put people down rapidly, and that is what striking is for (even sleepers can take too long in a street fight).

Hole in one.

Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 7:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Sounds like, in this rare instance, we are on the same page.
    :5huh: We haven't had much of any history for us to be on any page. All of 2006 I wasn't allowed to post here and most of 2005 we seldomly exchanged any comments.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast