staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kung Fu Training Time & Difficulty

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...42&postcount=6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by alumeta
    ...he told me that they as a rule do not let people who practice other MA train with them!! What does that supposed to mean? Is that an insecurity of that particular school, or is it a common practice for kung fu?
    It's a common practice. If you are learning kung fu, you don't have time for anything else anyway.

I don't know anything about this school and can not intelligently comment further.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...3&postcount=11

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    That's an interesting statement. Why do you feel that way? Theoretically you can say that about any martial art.
    You are right. I think it is especially true of Chinese arts because certain training programs/exercises just take a long time to do. In today's day and age, most people can't dedicate 8 hours a day to training.
    Ming Loyalist suggested we start a thread here about these interesting posts by Mr. Mantis.
    I think it is a good idea.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 6:49pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I used to take it for granted, in my kung fu days, that I'd have to keep learning well into old age, and that I wouldn't be seriously badass for a number of years.
    However there are 2 problems with this.
    The first is that your entire training regime is based on a single article of faith - the faith that one day all these exercises will give you such incredible sensitivity and speed that you'll be undefeatable.
    The second is that even if the first was true, this is the real world, we need results a little faster than that, whatever our reasons for training.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 7:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As we know, the CMAs have many exercise programs that are indicated to be done in a certain way. Some are comprised of certain movements that are done as reps before moving on to the next movement. Some are a set of different movements that just comprise a long sequence of movements. Some exercises should be done many times a day. Though, I have only come across those that require once, twice and three times per day. I've seen exercises that can take from 5 minutes to those that take an hour and a half.

These are what I consider "strength" exercises, whether they are internal or external in primary focus or intent. I would consider the strength portion of a day's workout to be the bare minimum. So, if you did not have the time that day to do a full workout, you should at least do that. I would also suggest working in a weight program as well.

Then you have the other portions of training that should be practiced daily which includes form practice, sparring, working drills, both solo and with a partner all for empty hand and whatever weapon or weapons the person is focusing on at the time.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you all suggesting that sparring time should be equal to practicing forms and at every class?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 8:08pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you think with modern strength and flexibility training techniques, that CMA can be learned somewhat non-traditionally in order to progress a student faster? I am not knowledgeable enough to answer such a question... :P

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 8:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CanucKyokushin
    Are you all suggesting that sparring time should be equal to practicing forms and at every class?
    Yeah, don't troll here.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one thing about TCMA training is that you are expected to do quite a bit of different types of training, especially once you have been practicing for a couple of years seriously.

in my school, we have chi kung training, stancework (both static and moving), line drills, conditioning drills (both partnered and solo), sparring, padwork, bagwork, and both hand forms and weapons forms. oh and lion dance (which is super hard and can help with generation of short range power.)

to train in all of this can be very time consuming, and there are people who excell in certain areas and not in others.

i am hoping that in this thread we can talk about the various types of training and what we feel makes it worthwhile.

we can also discuss weightlifting and roadwork and compare them to TCMA strength and endurance building excercises. those of us who use both can say why.

i don't have time to post a lot right now but will come back with more...
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 8:16pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm of the opinion that forms are unnecessarily long and complex. The order of movements doesn't matter, does it? So why not just break them down, take the parts you think you need to retain the essence of your art, and just integrate those parts into drilling, padwork and sparring?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 8:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    Do you think with modern strength and flexibility training techniques, that CMA can be learned somewhat non-traditionally in order to progress a student faster? I am not knowledgeable enough to answer such a question... :P
    IMO yes. My former GM said that weight training is safer now why keep all old methods.

Now, before traditionalists lay into this statement please listen.

Not all methods can be or should be replaced. I personally feel many of the advancement we have made in weight training negate years of stance training and forms endurance. Yet, you need forms (not hundreds) to work on balance and isolated muscles that weight lifting may not affect.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 8:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    I'm of the opinion that forms are unnecessarily long and complex.
    In some cases I agree.

The order of movements doesn't matter, does it?
    No.

So why not just break them down, take the parts you think you need to retain the essence of your art, and just integrate those parts into drilling, padwork and sparring?
    Good school do exactly what you propose.

Tell us what kung fu schools you have seen or practiced. This isn't an insult or challenge.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast