Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and 'set jealousy' is super, super gh3y. Not happy-silly gay, but fully expressed Freddy Mercury dressed-as-a-pvc-clad-nun gh3y.

You should not let this **** bother you. The very fact that it's not obvious that any 'dominance anxiety' you have with these more junior students could not be resolved by you simply kicking their asses in a hard sparring session makes me doubt the culture of your school and make me wonder if the 'secret baji form' you were recently shown wasn't just some **** your teacher made up to pacify a couple of long term students who are obviously anxious about being the 'golden boys' and think that knowing a form other people don't know will somehow establish this position.

Harsh but fair. Harsh but fair.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 4:35pm

Style: Mei Hua Chuan/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Please excuse my butting in. I am not t3h awesome entrepeneur. I am not yet a zillionaire. But if this is the first business that you've owned (even jointly) and have responsibility for operating, it is my humble experience, and that of any_even vaguely succesful_ (as in, not out of business within a year or two) business owner that I know, that starting your own business expecting it to be less time consuming or arduous than a regular job is not realistic.

Please reconsider your time estimates.
    I have to agree a 100%, when I started my business I was working 16/18 hour days untill it took off and I was able to get more help and cut my hours back, it all depends on what you'll do but the first few months/years are gonna take alot of hard work.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 7:05pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and 'set jealousy' is super, super gh3y. Not happy-silly gay, but fully expressed Freddy Mercury dressed-as-a-pvc-clad-nun gh3y.

You should not let this **** bother you. The very fact that it's not obvious that any 'dominance anxiety' you have with these more junior students could not be resolved by you simply kicking their asses in a hard sparring session makes me doubt the culture of your school and make me wonder if the 'secret baji form' you were recently shown wasn't just some **** your teacher made up to pacify a couple of long term students who are obviously anxious about being the 'golden boys' and think that knowing a form other people don't know will somehow establish this position.

Yes set jealousy is super gh3y as you described. I don't really give it that much thought at all, I was actually looking forward to being done with learning new sets and just focusing on techniques and application against resistance. The new Baji set isn't "super secret" we've known about it for almost a year now (although I did say recently which was a bad choice of wording). I have no reason to believe it is being made up to appease us in some way. When our instructor first told us about the set he said it in such a manner that seemed to indicate that he thought we already knew about it, and when we questioned him about starting the set 3 weeks ago he seemed surprised that we didn't already know it.

We are far from his "golden boys" which he reminds us of regularly, apparently he had students in the past that showed much more talent than either of us but they moved away.
    Nor do I care if I am or not, I gave up that kind of ego years ago when I first started Muay Thai and BJJ.

I don't have any "dominance anxiety" as you stated above, although the senior student might. And you are right that problem could be resolved with sparring session, which might happen if the junior keeps pushing the senior on the issue.

I fully expect that when I go into business for myself that it will be a lot of work, but once eveything is in place I expect the amount of work to drop considerably (at least that's what I hope). I am basing this on my current experience, at my current job one other employee and myself do about 70% of all the work while the owner's wife does about 27% and the owner does about 3%. Even with things running like that I am pretty much done with all my work by about 3 pm at the latest. ( Hence the reason you will find me posting on Bullshido throughout the day) :smile:

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 7:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

As usual Cullion is more direct but, this is where I was headed.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 4:18am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74

We are far from his "golden boys" which he reminds us of regularly, apparently he had students in the past that showed much more talent than either of us but they moved away.
    Hopefully, this is just a motivational tool. I really dislike teachers who say this type of crap. I also wonder how much of it is because of your percieved arrogance.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 2:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Hopefully, this is just a motivational tool. I really dislike teachers who say this type of crap. I also wonder how much of it is because of your percieved arrogance.
    I have equated it to a motivational tool, it usually comes up when he feels we are not putting in enough effort that day. Arrogance? Did I come off as arrogant? That was not my intent, IMO I have been far from arrogant with the given situation, but perhaps it is time I write a self criticism.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 4:59pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    I have equated it to a motivational tool, it usually comes up when he feels we are not putting in enough effort that day. Arrogance? Did I come off as arrogant? That was not my intent, IMO I have been far from arrogant with the given situation, but perhaps it is time I write a self criticism.
    No not on the forum towards your teacher. If you guys have started questioning his teaching methods, he may feel you are being arrogant.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 6:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    No not on the forum towards your teacher. If you guys have started questioning his teaching methods, he may feel you are being arrogant.
    Ahh, I understand, that is something I will start taking into account when speaking with him, I definitely don't want to come off as sounding arrogant or disrespectful to my teacher.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456