Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 11:50pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by metarat
    Oke, Is it Fake?? is a pro, but here I'll kibbutz in again.

Dude, are you like single, not buying a house, and not handcuffed to a job in your new town? If so I would definitely consider moving back, if you'd be happy and can live in good style. Isn't this guy essentially a lineage-holder in Baiji?

If I was still a batchelor I'd move to L.A. (which I don't like) in a heartbeat to study with my teacher; but with wife and three kids and house- NFW. Can't give'em as good a life in Cally, so I'm stuck.

But even if you "only" have three years, you could get far. Far enough to put the beat-down on "new shifus", or just be so obviously (you & maybe Senior) superior that it doesn't matter if a LARP'er or two hangs out a shingle.

And, maybe, kinda sounds LIKE, if you do build up a good school, then 3 years is a very flexible thing that may not come to pass. Be confident, let events come to/be caused by you instead of worrying about what someone else is doing. You've already started a lot of events in motion, you may be more in the driver's seat than you think.

Jeezus I sound like a fortune cookie! Time for a beer. Bye.
    Married, presently handcuffed to my job (but I'm working on that part), wife wants a house and a kid this year. Good news is she wants those things in Columbus, so it's really the job situation that is tying me down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 11:08am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Married, presently handcuffed to my job (but I'm working on that part), wife wants a house and a kid this year. Good news is she wants those things in Columbus, so it's really the job situation that is tying me down.
    She . . . KNOWS . . . you will be livin' la vida Baiji if you go back to Columbus, and she STILL wants to go back?!? Truly, a pearl of great price!

Job hunt! And, ah, buy her something sparkly-- I go to the big gem & mineral show out here yearly and stock up on (affordable) precious stones and trinkets for the year, so at any given time I can appear wonderful and thoughtful without having to put too much thought into it.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 11:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She . . . KNOWS . . . you will be livin' la vida Baiji if you go back to Columbus, and she STILL wants to go back?!? Truly, a pearl of great price!

Job hunt! And, ah, buy her something sparkly-- I go to the big gem & mineral show out here yearly and stock up on (affordable) precious stones and trinkets for the year, so at any given time I can appear wonderful and thoughtful without having to put too much thought into it.
    Been job hunting for awhile now, thinking of going into business for myself with my KF brother and his wife, but right now we are running into the problem of actually having the capital to get things going and are still currently working on a business plan to get things off the ground.

My wife has always been pretty cool with the amount of time I spend at the gym, but of course as soon as baby is in the picture her attitude will most definitely change.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 12:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure you think on this long and hard. Money and business **** up friendships. Trust me on this.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 2:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Make sure you think on this long and hard. Money and business **** up friendships. Trust me on this.
    You are correct, definitely going over everything with a fine tooth comb before making any final decisions.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 3:56pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are correct, definitely going over everything with a fine tooth comb before making any final decisions.
    Good.

I'll tell my story one day. It involved friends, who I no longer speak with because of, money and business.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 3:48am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The man with the picture of The Man is the Man!

And- starting your own business will take ALL your time. Haven't done it myself but I know people. Or I used to-- never see them now.

If you are going to be baby-making AND trying to make a Baiji disciple of yourself, maybe you could find a nice, steady gubberment paycheck for a few years? You don't sound just around the corner from retirement, so you maybe have some years to play with careers.

I started making babies at about 43; you really don't want too arduous a work schedule for the first couple years, as you will be awake at night a lot . . . .

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 3:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The man with the picture of The Man is the Man!

And- starting your own business will take ALL your time. Haven't done it myself but I know people. Or I used to-- never see them now.

If you are going to be baby-making AND trying to make a Baiji disciple of yourself, maybe you could find a nice, steady gubberment paycheck for a few years? You don't sound just around the corner from retirement, so you maybe have some years to play with careers.

I started making babies at about 43; you really don't want too arduous a work schedule for the first couple years, as you will be awake at night a lot . . . .
    Yeah it sounds like I am going to have a lot on my plate. The big thing is the new business. Fortunately if it gets off the ground it will be the kind of job where primarily everything will be handled and done for the day by 3 or 4 pm. Which will leave plenty of time in the evening to train. But we'll see.

On the training side, I went to a session on Wednesday and saw a glimmer of hope with the junior students and watched them get deftly dashed only 30 minutes later. One of the junior students (the one who is rushing through all the sets, and antognizing the senior student with his off cuff remarks) asked about sparring. I found this encouraging and thought maybe this guy is starting to straighten out his thinking in regards to his training.

Then only a short while later the senior student and myself started learning a new Baji set, (a set that up to this point none of the Master's previous students has learned, and until only recently the senior student and myself did not know existed). As soon as we learned the first portion of the set and proceeded to practice it, the junior student immediately went to the master and asked to start learning it, even though he has not yet finished the set he is currently on or completely remembers the previous sets without assistance. Once again, just as I thought maybe he was taking training more seriously, he revealed his true nature.

As far as asking to spar, he only directed his requests at the senior student and did so several times. It left me wondering in retrospect if perhaps he was subtley challenging the senior student's skills (I have not voiced this opinion to the senior student, I see no reason to start any internal conflicts) . Or is he only asking to the senior student becuase of the fact that he is the senior student? Only time will tell I suppose.
    Last edited by Ronin.74; 3/03/2007 3:18pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 3:44pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Then only a short while later the senior student and myself started learning a new Baji set, (a set that up to this point none of the Master's previous students has learned, and until only recently the senior student and myself did not know existed). As soon as we learned the first portion of the set and proceeded to practice it, the junior student immediately went to the master and asked to start learning it, even though he has not yet finished the set he is currently on or completely remembers the previous sets without assistance. Once again, just as I thought maybe he was taking training more seriously, he revealed his true nature.
    I know this is a type of venting thread which is good. I wouldn't worry about this to much. I actually did the same thing before, it was my turn to learn bagua and xingyi. I would needle the instructor about learning material early.

He made me wait until he saw my dedication. I learned a ton of the first year that probably should've been spread over 2-3 years. I also spent 5 hours a day 4-5 days a week at the school. Also, when I recieved a key (this all happened before I opened my own school), me and 5 buddies would go in once or twice a week on our own.

So, give it some time and perspective. Junior students are alway jealous and want new material regardless of where they are at. I know I did. It is up to the instructor to put a stop to this behavior.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/03/2007 3:47pm at .

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it sounds like I am going to have a lot on my plate. The big thing is the new business. Fortunately if it gets off the ground it will be the kind of job where primarily everything will be handled and done for the day by 3 or 4 pm. Which will leave plenty of time in the evening to train. But we'll see.
    Please excuse my butting in. I am not t3h awesome entrepeneur. I am not yet a zillionaire. But if this is the first business that you've owned (even jointly) and have responsibility for operating, it is my humble experience, and that of any_even vaguely succesful_ (as in, not out of business within a year or two) business owner that I know, that starting your own business expecting it to be less time consuming or arduous than a regular job is not realistic.

Please reconsider your time estimates.
    Last edited by Cullion; 3/03/2007 4:20pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast