Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Team Combat Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Combat Judo is a school run by Mark Staniszewski, a Judo sandan and a BJJ Black belt under Joe Moreira and Mike Acuri, a Judo nidan and a BJJ blue belt. As well as other instuctors from Judo sandans to BJJ purples and above.

The school has changed to having a separate BJJ (Gi and No Gi) and Judo classes, but neither the BJJ classes ignoring takedowns and the judo classes ignoring submissions.

The school is quasi traditional, meaning we'll bow in and out but after that it's very much a gym like atmosphere. With people joking around and making fun of each other. During the randori you have two types of people: the guy who lets the new guy work, and the guy who makes the new guy work. I personally like the class alot, one of my favorite things is that we do start standing.

Mark Staniszewski's Competition record from nationallyranked.com

Combat Judo at our 1st MMA event
    http://www.google.com/videoplay\?doc...22955178656353

The gym added a MMA class 2 days a week, Monday and Wednesday at 7pm, the class is run by either Adam Schortz who has an extensive MMA and combat sport background or Mark Staniszewski. The class includes padwork, takedowns to submission or ground and pound and sparring.

There is also a dedicated No gi Judo/wrestling class Tuesday and Thursdays 7pm to 8pm before the judo class and a Muay Thai class Fridays at 7pm run by Adam Schortz who trains and competes under Kru Aziz from Sitan Gym in Astoria.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 11/30/2010 6:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 1:22pm

Style: BJJ and Westernized TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a look at your schools web site. It looks really good. I like the fact that Judo people are allowing BJJ to influence them. I hate it when the old guys stubbornly resist the influence of BJJ. Judo as a style may be changing since the older instructors will be replaced by younger ones. As you probably know msot of the techniques in BJJ are already in Judo.

Is 75 a month really a good deal? The Judo school in my area is 20 a month. I checked into it a while back and decided not to attend because it was more of traditional school and I hate being thrown much.

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 11:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The place is relatively small, but there are two or three main instructors, plus several other skilled black belts. They're very willing to help you, plus the atmosphere is ideal. There are no egos whatsoever. I felt completely comfortable within minutes of walking through the door. They teach how to perform techniques with a gi on, plus how to perform the same move if you're not wearing a gi. They make training as alive and realistic as possible. As for equipment, Judo doesn't require much in terms of equipment. They have your typical mats, plus crash mats. That's really all you could ever need.

I've recommended this school to many people. Great school, extremely affordable, great atmosphere and most importantly, highly skilled instructors. This is a great style by itself, or to mix in with another style, especially BJJ. BJJ guys are notoriously lacking in the takedown department. This fills in any gaps that BJJ might have by teaching how to get the fight to the ground and remain in a dominant position rather than just pulling guard.

Posted On:
    5/18/2007 11:18pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There should be more of this in Judo. Emphasis on matwork and standing 50/50. Just enough tradition to keep it Judo and a good atmosphere during training. This is basically my Dojo in Worcester (minus the BJJ) if clubs keep on going this road I think Judo has MORE than a bright future in MMA and the Martial World as a whole. Judo is evolving!

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 2:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo,bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I play at an excellent judo club (club Olympia in Kitchener Ontario ) and am lucky enough to have a sensei that is not only an international,olympic,and nation champion and olympic coach, but is very much a "ground guy" when it comes to judo. I think that sport judo doesn't have enough emphasis on ground work...enter bjj. It's all judo to me baby!!! The present membership at my club is $80/month for a potential four classes a week...all taught by my sensei.....I consider this to be an excellent deal. I am also a fan of bjj,for it's mat time on the ground...but again, I look at it as an excellent extension of my judo experience. They are both excellent grappling arts and I think that you definately need both the standing and the ground games-for sure!

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Combat Judo Team recently competed in our first MMA event. The highlight video is in the original message.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 2:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Combat Judo moved they're not longer at the Broadway location.. We're now at 14 Central Ave. just a little further down by Sunrise Hwy(27).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 10:08pm

Style: Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Right Mixture

The Membership is constantly growing and growing. The Members are committed to perfection and the Instructors have a wealth of knowledge to share. It is by far one of the best programs that I have ever been involved in. Strong Tachiwaza and Strong Newaza. Come prepared for a Workout.

Training is Believing.

Train Hard, Stay Safe,
    Good Luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 12:56pm

Style: Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

An Unexpected Guest "The Terror"

So during Judo class last night guess who just decides to show up and teach. The UFC Welterweight Champ Matt "The Terror" Serra. One of the Sensei's at Combat Judo Academy is really good friends with The Champ and apparently they worked out a deal where he is going to oversee the BJJ training at our school.

I trained at Serra's Academy for a short time before TUF and the eventual Welterweight Championship. At the time I was just a beginner and didn't get to see him that much as a White Belt. So this was a real welcomed surprise.

From what I understand he lives really close by and he said that he would be stopping by often. I am looking forward to that.

Train Hard, Stay Safe,
    Good Luck

Combat Judo Academy
    Serra BJJ

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 3:48am

Style: Wrestling, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by knuckle dragger
    I checked into it a while back and decided not to attend because it was more of traditional school and I hate being thrown much.
    Then you should consider taking up another hobby, nancy.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast