Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 10:41pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey all,

I hate to dig up an old thread but I wanted to update all those that contributed to my inquiries. I decided to dive into muay thai training and postpone the gym stuff indefinately. The cardio involved in my training is intense and rewarding! I've been with my MT gym for about a month now and absolutely adore everything I've learned so far.

Thanks to all that answered and responded in this thread!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 9:36am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your next homework assignment is to start watching and applying KidSpatula & AnnaTrocity's instructional video clips.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2007 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    Your next homework assignment is to start watching and applying KidSpatula & AnnaTrocity's instructional video clips.....
    lol already way ahead of you on that one

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 5:03am

Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Little) Thread-Resurrection: Just to let you know I used the search function and read through all this.

On Friday I visited my former Pencak Silat-school to maybe enroll again. We did a little sparring or rather we stupidly struck each other. All in all, the training is sub par and a waste of time. At least, now I know that I won't be missing anything.

Now I think about starting doing Muay Thai once a week (my curriculum doesn't allow any more), but I'm a little bit concerned about bruises. I'm doing boxing and last week I started Judo and BJJ which I'm enjoying very much. However, after the Silat-training my body felt pretty sore. Lower legs, my right knee, arms (from a stupid *ing *un-drill) and my chest still hurts a little when I take a deep breath in. I think I will be fit enough for tomorrows training but I'm wondering what I have to expect from Muay Thai with its knees and elbows. I would'nt like it if I had to pause Judo and BJJ regulary because of an annoying ache.

To be more clear: how does (light) sparring look like in Muay Thai?
    Last edited by wrapper; 5/20/2007 10:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 7:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wrapper
    (Little) Thread-Resurrection: Just to let you know I used the search function and read through all this.

On Friday I visited my former Pencak Silat-school to maybe enroll again. We did a little sparring or rather we stupidly struck each other. All in all, the training is sub par and a waste of time. At least, now I know that I won't be missing anything.

Now I think about starting doing Muay Thai once a week (my curriculum doesn't allow any more), but I'm a little bit concerned about bruises. I'm doing boxing and last week I started Judo and BJJ which I'm enjoying very much. However, after the Silat-training my body felt pretty sore. Lower legs, my right knee, arms (from a stupid *ing *un-drill) and my chest still hurts a little when I take a deep breath in. I think I will be fit enough for tomorrows training but I'm wondering what I have to expect from Muay Thai with its knees and elbows. I would'nt like it if I had to pause Judo and BJJ regulary because of an annoying ache.

To be more clear: how does (light) sparring look like in Muay Thai?
    I didn't find that my elbows would get too sore from pad drills or even bagwork. I made sure that I started slow and my technique was right before I went full force on the pads / bag in order to ensure minimal injury. The knees / shins were a bit more sensitive for me .. and I guess it just takes continual conditioning to truly achieve strength with minimal pain. I mean yea it will hurt initially .. but give it a few weeks and you'll notice that you can throw harder with less pain. This should provide incentive for you to continue your training and an indication that your conditioning is going according to plan..

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 2:56pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminati
    Hey guys,

I wanted to know how intense is the beginner muay thai striking training? Should I be prepared for bruised knees and is there long-term health effects from such training with the heavy bags?

Thanks

Most beginner classes that I know of (I have only trained at one school mine you), are pretty easy. You just get hurt because you are not used to using your body that way, and some people go all out right away (most guys seem to, I did) to make up for lack of technique, so you will likely get quite tired too. They need to keep training fairly easy to appeal to the broadest amount of people and pay the bills. There are some really intense schools out there and trainers, but finding a real muay thai school with an Ajarn or a Thai as an owner/instructor it not common (at least in canada, though I doubt the US is much better).
    Last edited by Eldarbong; 5/22/2007 3:02pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 5:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    Most beginner classes that I know of (I have only trained at one school mine you), are pretty easy. You just get hurt because you are not used to using your body that way, and some people go all out right away (most guys seem to, I did) to make up for lack of technique, so you will likely get quite tired too. They need to keep training fairly easy to appeal to the broadest amount of people and pay the bills. There are some really intense schools out there and trainers, but finding a real muay thai school with an Ajarn or a Thai as an owner/instructor it not common (at least in canada, though I doubt the US is much better).
    Hmm .. I think there are a a few Ajarn's here in Canada. My Kru is a certified Kru under Ajarn Suchart .. and I also know people who have trained with Ajarn Phady Khan out in Cambridge, Ontario. I don't assume that if you live in a fairly large city that you will have a lot of trouble finding a Kru that is certified or has trained under an Ajarn in Canada.

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 6:02pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminati
    Hmm .. I think there are a a few Ajarn's here in Canada. My Kru is a certified Kru under Ajarn Suchart .. and I also know people who have trained with Ajarn Phady Khan out in Cambridge, Ontario. I don't assume that if you live in a fairly large city that you will have a lot of trouble finding a Kru that is certified or has trained under an Ajarn in Canada.
    I live in a small town, the closest Ajarn to me is Mike Myles in Alberta, and the only other one I know of is Siam no.1 in Toronto (I can't remember the owner's name, but he is thai, and Clifton Brown trains out of there).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 7:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    I live in a small town, the closest Ajarn to me is Mike Myles in Alberta, and the only other one I know of is Siam no.1 in Toronto (I can't remember the owner's name, but he is thai, and Clifton Brown trains out of there).
    Siam No. 1 is Ajarn Suchart. You can't find many Kru's that are certified under an Ajarn though? I mean it may not be instruction directly under an Ajarn but its still quality teaching speaking from experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123