Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 3:29am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminati
    I'd prefer to be in better shape when I begin the program, thats all.
    I echo getting into the MT program as soon as possible. Trying to "get into better shape" is an extremely subjective concept, that prevents a lot of people from ever getting into the gym. I would recommend starting as soon as you can, and believe me when I say the fitness will take care of itself.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 3:34am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding whether or not it's worth getting "in shape" before beginning - I think you should do it. The thing to remember, however, is that you don't need much conditioning before you begin. Limit yourself, at the absolute most, to one month of preparation before beginning martial arts classes.

Don't mentally build up MT classes as some amazing challenge; just do it and you'll see.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 7:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    I echo getting into the MT program as soon as possible. Trying to "get into better shape" is an extremely subjective concept, that prevents a lot of people from ever getting into the gym. I would recommend starting as soon as you can, and believe me when I say the fitness will take care of itself.
    Yeah, I heard the training was pretty intense which is why I wanted to do cardio training prior to it. Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 9:54am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd prefer to be in better shape when I begin the program, thats all.
    Personally I think this is a good idea, I trained some basic conditioning before starting Muay Thai, and now I'm glad I did (else I'd have been killed).

Regarding damage: Personally I think thaiboxing conditioning and training is some of the toughest you can get, but this also means it's what toptunes your body the most, sure your body may **** over at some times (it has for me), but I doubt you should expect major stuff like broken limbs.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have mixed feelings regarding "getting in shape" before going to an MA class. If you are extremelly overweight or have had a condition that has limited your cardio in the past (asthma, allergies), then MAYBE it's a good idea.

On the other hand, going to the gym before joining a martial art class (MT in your case), that may become a mental barrier that will stop your from starting martial arts. You can get caught up in a "I'm not ready mentality" for months on end, never quite making the jump into martial arts.

I'm not sure about your physical conditioning. Assuming you have bad cardio, if you are skinny/slim, then just jump into the MT classes. If you are/feel overweight, then spend some time doing cardio before going there. Only you know the answer.

You can actually just go and check it out and asses your personal situation. Just because you are doing MT (or any other martial arts) that doesn't mean you cannot do anything else.

If you find the classes too challenging, then just take a break (a few weeks) to work your cardio, and then come back, or just cut your classes in half (again using your spare time to work on your cardio or simply to rest as your body gets accostumed).

A good instructor is not going to work you out beyond your abilities. He will push you TO YOUR LIMITS, but he will also be listening to your performance. It's not going to be a death march or something.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 2:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    I have mixed feelings regarding "getting in shape" before going to an MA class. If you are extremelly overweight or have had a condition that has limited your cardio in the past (asthma, allergies), then MAYBE it's a good idea.

On the other hand, going to the gym before joining a martial art class (MT in your case), that may become a mental barrier that will stop your from starting martial arts. You can get caught up in a "I'm not ready mentality" for months on end, never quite making the jump into martial arts.

I'm not sure about your physical conditioning. Assuming you have bad cardio, if you are skinny/slim, then just jump into the MT classes. If you are/feel overweight, then spend some time doing cardio before going there. Only you know the answer.

You can actually just go and check it out and asses your personal situation. Just because you are doing MT (or any other martial arts) that doesn't mean you cannot do anything else.

If you find the classes too challenging, then just take a break (a few weeks) to work your cardio, and then come back, or just cut your classes in half (again using your spare time to work on your cardio or simply to rest as your body gets accostumed).

A good instructor is not going to work you out beyond your abilities. He will push you TO YOUR LIMITS, but he will also be listening to your performance. It's not going to be a death march or something.
    Yeah, I have to drop about 15 lbs or so hence I don't feel like I will be able to keep up. That is why I felt that I needed the few months to get my cardio in check.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 6:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I have to drop about 15 lbs or so hence I don't feel like I will be able to keep up. That is why I felt that I needed the few months to get my cardio in check.
    Your endurance for muay thai and bjj will suck pretty much no matter what. If your goal is to not look like an idiot when you step into class on your first day you WILL fail, period. You will suck and you will get exhausted. That's just how it works when you first start out. The class will get you in shape. That's one of the main reasons people go in the first place.

Now, I'm not discouraging you from working out, since general fitness is always a good thing, but don't think you need to prepare for a martial arts class. The class itself is preparation. The idea of going to a martial arts class to look good in the martial arts class is stupid.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 10:11am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can pass a pretty basic fitness test, Jog 1 mile, do 20 pushups, do 20 situps, do 50 jumping jacks then you are ready to start taking classes. You'll get exhausted for the first few weeks, You'll gas 15 minutes into class pretty often, but that's the point. Plenty of people at the gym I train at are a bit on the hefty side right now and some of them gas pretty quick, but they're all rapidly improving. If you've been hitting the gym pretty regularly for the last couple of months you'll be fine. Jump in there and start training.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 11:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found it VERY hard on the feet. Practically everyone at camp had blisters on the big toe and balls of their feet for the first couple of weeks.
    This is assuming you are training barefoot.

Depending on how much rope you have jumped in the past I would try to get a head start on that stuff, it can be hard on the feet/shins.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joest
    I found it VERY hard on the feet. Practically everyone at camp had blisters on the big toe and balls of their feet for the first couple of weeks.
    This is assuming you are training barefoot.

Depending on how much rope you have jumped in the past I would try to get a head start on that stuff, it can be hard on the feet/shins.
    Yeah thats fine as long as there is no long-term harm to my knees or other parts of the body.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast