Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 11:44am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Beginner to striking training

Hey guys,

I wanted to know how intense is the beginner muay thai striking training? Should I be prepared for bruised knees and is there long-term health effects from such training with the heavy bags?

Thanks

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 11:54am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Contrary to what a lot of dorks say most muay thai classes are not anything paticularly harsh on the body, it's going to be tiring but you're not very likely to damage your body unless you get into the territory of training to long, to hard, and to fast.

Your body will adapt given time and it will give you signals (weird pains) before it breaks down on you.

As for what to expect, you'll hit pads and you'll hit bags and you'll spar and probably the last item on the list is where you're most likely to get banked up because to one degree or another thats the point, but even then it's not to bad :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah my initial plan is to keep conditioning my body with cardio and light weight training at the gym for 2 months before I dive into muay thai training. I have little experience with martial arts but I wanted to try something effective for self-defense purposes and keep my body fit. I was just a little worried in terms of the whole damage factor onto the system. Thanks for the reply!

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 2:15pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Working cardio and weights is a good idea, as you'll be able to learn and make progress much more quickly if you're already in decent shape. It probably isn't necessary for you to actually lift weights; bodyweight would probably be okay - but if you're doing it, then great.

Starting out in martial arts is like starting out in an exercise routine; it will be tiring at first and tempting to quit (perhaps) but after a month or so you should not only see results, but you should also be enjoying yourself.

In movies and whatnot Muay Thai is portrayed as a brutal art that will destroy your body with its harsh training. In reality, as Kat said, the worst you'll have is working a heavy bag, some pads, and light to hard sparring.

Best of luck, and have fun!
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How the hell is your primary style MMA if you have little experience with martial arts?

And yeah, to repeat what's been said, unless you're fighting pro in Thailand every week, you won't get much damage to the body. Sparring isn't an all out fight, it's just a training tool to test what you've been learning in an alive environment.

Most of any damage I've ever received was because of being stupid, not because of the training itself.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 5:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    How the hell is your primary style MMA if you have little experience with martial arts?

And yeah, to repeat what's been said, unless you're fighting pro in Thailand every week, you won't get much damage to the body. Sparring isn't an all out fight, it's just a training tool to test what you've been learning in an alive environment.

Most of any damage I've ever received was because of being stupid, not because of the training itself.
    Well the site forced me to choose a primary style, and the option I'm going to choose at my gym will be BJJ and MT .. hence the MMA. I figured I'd put that in without having to modify and/or create a new user once I begin training...I'm sorry that it offended u lol!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminati
    Well the site forced me to choose a primary style, and the option I'm going to choose at my gym will be BJJ and MT .. hence the MMA. I figured I'd put that in without having to modify and/or create a new user once I begin training...I'm sorry that it offended u lol!
    Well if you're not doing MMA, then you should put "BJJ/MT" in your style field.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Well if you're not doing MMA, then you should put "BJJ/MT" in your style field.
    imaginary +rep. I wish more people got that.

OP - I say skip the "gym, then MA" plan. Don't worry about not being ready. Just jump in there.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 5:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeing MMA in a style field usually is a sign for me to not listen to whoever is talking, unless they have a "fighter" tag up there as well.

And I agree with Jon. The school will get you in the shape you need to be.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 6:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd prefer to be in better shape when I begin the program, thats all.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast