Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SEMI-MODERATED: Iranian Club Swinging Clip (Related Exercises Are Also Welcome)

While looking for clips on club swinging exercises and Indian/Iranian wrestling, I ran into this clip. Notice the size of those wooden... those puppies must weight 30lbs or more (or according to http://www.pahlavani.com , they may be up to 60lbs.)

I have to homemade clubs (sand-filled plastic bats) that weight around 10lbs each. ****, doing that non-stop is a bitch. My forearms and hands got worked out in a manner very different from other exercises I've done after 2 minutes. It really gives a new perspective on these folks doing that stuff with those moster-clubs. :confused1

Also, notice the guy doing the ab/leg twist thing while joggling the heavy wooden shields. By the size of wooden things, I would estimate each weights about 30lbs or so.

Some of the folks in this clip seem to be in their 40's and 50's. Old, tough folks like those can put most younger men to shame.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 8:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by srichards
    For those of you who haven't watched it yet, I'll give you the rundown so you don't have to waste your time.

Old men doing the exact same shoulder movement over and over, spinning really quickly and throwing heavy clubs in the air and catching them.

Oh, and what looks like boot-scooting

Cool Iranian/Indian grunge music though.
    which is what makes it impressive and inspirational since most quote-and-quote athletes half their age wouldn't be able do the same thing over and over with 30lbs clubs for a minute without having a cramp in their shoulders and forearms. :viking:

Being fit even in old age, and the documentation of traditional/obscure martial arts and physical conditioning is part of what this site is about, and of this specific forum in particular... me think.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/16/2007 8:05pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 8:14pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was Impressed. El Macho, the bats you have, are they the same old normal wiffle-ball bats you can buy at any store?

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 8:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by debul937
    I was Impressed. El Macho, the bats you have, are they the same old normal wiffle-ball bats you can buy at any store?
    Yep, the same plastic bats you can buy at Target (mine were for $5 each). I filled them up with sand and weight about 10+ lbs. I'm currently making one with concrete, which I estimate will be about 25lbs - If I add lead pieces at the bottom, that puppy will be about 30lbs (I don't think more than that will be stable enough unless I add a metal rod in between for strenght.)

I know I have some links somewhere on how to make your own contraptions where you can even add 5lbs weight plates at the end of them. Pretty cool... I'll send you the links since I think I have them bookmarked at my office PC.

But do they do anything else besides the one same shoulder movement? I mean, yeah. I wouldn't be able to do that either. But isn't it just like constantly doing bicep curls, and so in a few years time, you can bicep curl massive amounts of weight. Then its all "blah blah, you couldn't curl this much weight at my age" but really, where has it got you? Massive biceps...and that's about it.
    Uhmmm, dude, this is just one aspect of training. This only one part of their tradition, which they also combine with modern training methodologies. I'd suggest you read a little bit about Iranian wrestlers in Greco comps.

Those indian/iranian men would have have some mad shoulder and forearm strength...but what of the chest, back and legs? Do they actually do other movements? I'm sure there would be more, but that's the way the video puts it
    Exactly. It's a highlight of indian club training. Try swinging those things, and it will hit everything, not just the shoulders. Really, you should give it a try. It hits the shoulders, grip, forearms, the muscles and tendons within your hands and wrist, your upper pecs, and your abdominals.

You can't swing those things and remain stable without activelly engaging the core muscles and your lower back. Don't take my word for it. Build yourself a pair of clubs and swing them as they do and in inner circle motions for 3 minutes, and let me know how your core feel after ;)

For the record, club training is a highly respected approach to physical training. It's not a gimmick or a curiosity.

And for the record, what exactly is the martial art that they're doing?
    Pahlavan Wrestling, which is similar to Pehlwan wrestling as done in India. I just posted several clips of that here (the last clip shows a dude going for a standing kimura):

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51395

There is another thread somewhere with a clip on Mongolian wrestling, which looks like a mix of greco and no-gi judo, or something like that. Central Asian wrestlers have had a long tradition of wrestling, and Indian and Iranian wrestlers were successful in competing in greco tournaments during the first half of the 20th century.

These cultures have been doing real stuff while the west have been immersing itself into the realm of chi-blast and the "too deadly to spar" crap. Since this site is about real martial arts, and everything related to aliveness and sparring, the practice and the history of it, it makes sense to bring these traditions into the light.

I know I have some clips of Iranian and Uzbek wrestlers in one of my spare hard drives. I'll put them in youtube as soon as I can find them. Past and present folk traditions of wrestling have been a topic discussed here several times.

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 9:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    srichards, this is the thread on Mongolian Wrestling I was refering to:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ight=mongolian

Quote Originally Posted by debul937
    I don't want to derail much, but anyways... these are my sand-filled bats AKA "ghetto bells"; I originally intended the "ghetto bells" as a replacement for sledge hammer workouts. Currently, I'm using those and other club swinging exercises in conjunction with my #1 CoC gripper and dumbbells with 2" thick bars. These are old clips I made showing how I initially used them (I got the idea from this tutorial in grapplearts.com on combat grip training.)

lateral wrist levering : http://youtube.com/watch?v=jlspJAZZcNo
    frontal/medial wrist levering : http://youtube.com/watch?v=VqTFzj661q0

There was a discussion about them and club training in general here: here.

Also, this an ongoing thread on grip conditioning, which includes a link for making stuff, including clubbells and kettlebells : http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49729

-- customized sledge hammers :)
    http://www.bigsteel.iwarp.com/Articl...mmerIdeas.html

-- plate loading club bells
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejoandbryce/makestuff.html

Enjoy ;)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/16/2007 9:20pm at .

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, don't need much space for those. Plus I'm sure swinging the clubs are very good for rotator cuff, elbow, wrist etc. A good prehab for the whole arm me thinks!

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 5:09am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/makeindian.html

It's downright simple to attain such legendary training equipment. I use 2 8 pound bats made from plastic straight bats I purchased in the toy section at Wal Mart. They came complete as a set of 1 bat and a plastic baseball, and they costed 2 dollars apiece, I about stole 'em, just so I didn't have to pay. You paid 5 dollars each for yours, I would've **** my pants. All I did was cut an x in the bottom of the handle, shove a funnel in, and fill with sand, then duct tape over. Can't find a use for the plastic balls though. Check this link out too for some gada goodness.

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/macgada.html

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 1:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/makeindian.html

It's downright simple to attain such legendary training equipment. I use 2 8 pound bats made from plastic straight bats I purchased in the toy section at Wal Mart. They came complete as a set of 1 bat and a plastic baseball, and they costed 2 dollars apiece, I about stole 'em, just so I didn't have to pay. You paid 5 dollars each for yours, I would've **** my pants. All I did was cut an x in the bottom of the handle, shove a funnel in, and fill with sand, then duct tape over. Can't find a use for the plastic balls though. Check this link out too for some gada goodness.

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/macgada.html
    From the "gada" URL:

We will be making the Gada on the left the one on the right is made from weight plates and is very heavy at 40lbs. There are two collars at the bottom of the plates to secure them for swinging.
    Is that how those things are a called? Collars? I've been going to Home Depot searching for those, but can't find them in the plumbing section, and when I try to ask for help, the dumbfucks don't know what those things are. :mad:

I like the bowling bowl approach to make a gada. Never though of it. I just wonder if the 3 gas pipe is strong enough (I guess it is.) I would go for a 1" or above with a wooden dowel core, or filled with sand (personal preference.)

In the meantime, my new project in the making... The Monster 2" Thick Plate Loading Club/Gada Thingie (that's a related thread on grip conditioning, btw).

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...8&postcount=50

At some point, we may have to create a new thread or merge the existing grip conditioning threads, depending on how much new information we accumulate.

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 7:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

READ THIS OR BE CASTRATED BY FIRE CUPPING!!!

Some of your posts have been moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53287

Please keep this thread exclusively for Indian Club Swinging (or related exercises).

Comedy is always welcome, so long as it's related to the topic at hand (or has pics of hot chicks in it) AND it doesn't go out of hand.

People shouldn't have to navigate through 10 comedy posts to find one of value.

Thanks... bitches. :pottytrai
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/03/2007 7:05pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 7:17pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Macho, didn't the Iron Sheik use those during his WWF days? That's my joke entry.

I've seen these used for training by the traditional Indian wrestlers and from what I saw they also helped with your range of motion and having strength from awkward angles.

By the way, when the hell are you coming to ARMA, we are going to start doing pankration sparing just about every weekend if we get enough people interested. If you are interested there is some video on the yahoo arma south florida webpage.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast