Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 8:27pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the bag in video one is a little light for you.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're legs seem a bit stiff. Try to keep them more springy so you can spring into and out of your punches more.

You also lean forward too much. Try to keep your back a little straighter and not lean into the target so much. Leaning like that hinders your mobility and makes you more susceptible to a lot of attacks (it's also harder to flow your kicks and punches together).

You're also forgetting about your feet when you throw punches and kicks together. You throw a punch combination and then just kind of toss your leg up, instead of stepping for the kick and making the pivot. This is making you pretty off balanced and cuttsing off a lot of the power in your kick. It's also pretty easy to knock someone over when they kick like that.

Another thing you should look out for is ending a combination and staying on one place. You don'w want to be done and still be right in front of your opponent. End a combination and circle out (I tend to push off on them when I do this and stay ready to intercept an attack as I go). I think it can also be a good idea to throw something as you move away like a jab or lead leg kick of some sort. Just don't go too far. One habit you can get into with that (that I've kind of picked up and really regret) is giving them too much space to pull themselves together and get some momentum. Having to fight against someone's forward momentum gained from a few feet of space after throwing a tiring combination can be pretty troublesome (this is one of the things that really fucked with me in my last fight).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 8:48pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also your hip and shoulder are turning in a disjointed manner, probably because you're over reaching. They should turn the same. I generally tell people to pretend that there's a pin from their hip to their shoulder to attach the two.

You'll find that if you turn them at the same time to the same degree that you can throw combinations much quicker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 8:49pm

Style: Karazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    the bag in video one is a little light for you.
    All we have is that one and another one that is tied at the top and bottom, but it is at an angle. I use the latter one for knees, uppercuts and when I'm trying to swing with just power. I try to keep the swinging of the other one to a minimum by circling it the best I can but you see how well that works.
    Last edited by G-low; 2/16/2007 9:02pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 9:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thx Kid and Anna, you both open my eyes to things I obviously didn't know before. I'll try to work on 'em.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 12:19am

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it would help you to vary your combinations a bit more. You're ending your punch-kick combos with a kick. Try following up with punches after your kicks. You will appreciate the results; kicks have more distance than punches so you can start with a kick and punch as you step in.

You also drop your hands with your kicks and telegraph your kicks with your hands. You can hold your hands to the side of your forehead while you kick, this will correct that problem. Also, try to focus on not moving your hands while throwing the kicks.

Yeah, some people on this forum say you're okay if you drop your hands during a kick. I think you are okay with that as long as your positioning an timing are good. I like to have my hands up to throw follow up punches. Of course you never know when someone really good at angles will get the drop on you with that hand by your waist.

Don't forget to concentrate on withdrawing your leg (fast) after the kick. This has to be fast too so you can move, follow up with more attacks, and so you basically don't get knocked on your ass.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 12:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one thing for me about throwing the hand back and opening up my guard when throwing a kick is that it makes it much easier to turn my shoulder into the kick, allowing for better rotation.

Oh yeah, on withdrawing the leg... that was one thing I didn't mention. The way in which you're kicking makes it so you have to pull the leg back. What you should be doing is penetrating with the hips so that when you kick, the feedback from the target is what sends your leg back instead of having to retract. I think this also requires you to stiffen your leg a bit more on impact.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 12:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's an example of a penetrating kick. Notice how far Buakaw's hip and shoulder turn over, so much so that his pelvis is almost pointed towards the ground by the time the kick finishes. Also notice the stiffness of the kicking leg on impact, making it hit like a baseball bat and requiring no retraction of the leg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 12:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'preciate it guys (and gals) I'm getting some really helpful info. BTW, when I get home I plan to train at Houston Metro Fight Club. There are a few people on TXMMA that say it is a good school, just wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with them.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12