T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 3:10pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glad2bhere

Matt is correct that the "Ryu-Ha" system is Japanese. So from the standpoint of claiming to a portion of a "ryu" this gentlman is most likely full of beans.
    dude...my name's not matt. :laughing7

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 3:13pm

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry. Bad attention to detail on my part.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 5:06pm

Style: TKD ITF, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thenaks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    If it's similar to HKD or TKD it's NOT Sipalgi. The forms in Kuk Sool Won are supposedly similar in style to Sipalgi, but that's only thing of all that should be similar. DerAuslander108 is a SPG practitioner. He could probably help you out.

Also Ryu is JAPANESE. That should be a HUGE red flag. Maybe good stuff, but not SPG.

edit: some of the Romanization in that list you posted is terrible. Where is that from?
    The sipalki students say that the "Ryu" is because when Yoo Soo Nam first introduced the art here in Argentina, nobody knew about korean martial arts, but they where familiar with Karate and japanese martial arts. So he added the Ryu to Ion Bi...

The list is from the .pdf that I posted on my first post.

Iin my Very Very humble opinion, I PERSONALLY do not believe this guy in Argentina is the heritor or leader of some extant faction of Korean practice. My guess--- and it is ONLY a guess--- is that this fella probably studied something including bits and piece from a lot of places, came to Argentina and is using the same approach to martial training as might be found in the practice of traditional SIPALKI. In this way I think it would be more accurate to say that he practicing a SIPALKI-like system or practicing in a SIPALKI fashion. Honestly I don't think he actually teaches SIPALKI. But thats just my opinion. "The opinions of this contributor do not reflect those of this station or the broadcasting network in general."
    That's exactly what I thought
    Last edited by Blues-man; 2/18/2007 5:08pm at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 6:53pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ryu means the same thing in Korean as it does in Japanese. The Hanja is the same, the pronounciation is the same.

The Argentinian Sibpalki that I have seen does seem to be a Guksulwon variant, and not actual Korean kung fu. It definitely looks nothing like the 18G I practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 10:14am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you review the list of items at the beginning of the thread? These weapons don't seem to jive very well with those I had in mind for the "18 methods". Might you be willing to list the items you re familiar with in your practice for comparison? Thoughts? Comments?

BTW: In reviewing the various clips at the beginning of the thread may I say that the SIPALKI demonstrated there has a very distinct "Kuk Sool" flavor replete with high aerial and acrobatic kicking. Nothing wrong with this as it is all good and takes time and dedication to develop such skills. My point is only that if one is going to invoke the term "SIPALKI" that it helps to make clear that one is doing something either the same or different from what was originally practiced in that approach, yes? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Last edited by glad2bhere; 2/22/2007 10:24am at .

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 4:17pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sibpalgi is an overall term. There is no concrete set of 18 techniques.

The term 18 Martial Techniques is actually one found in CMA, as well as the Japanese bugei. Different schools placed different emphasis on set of weapons and skills. Due to the Chinese emphasis in Korea, Sibpalgi also became a catch all term for any Korean kung fu.

The list of 18 techniques that I learned jive pretty much with the Muyaedobotongji with a few exceptions, ie. Ssangjulgon instead of the flail. It should also be noted that I have not learned all of the 18 techniques yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 4:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Sibpalgi is an overall term. There is no concrete set of 18 techniques.

The term 18 Martial Techniques is actually one found in CMA, as well as the Japanese bugei. Different schools placed different emphasis on set of weapons and skills. Due to the Chinese emphasis in Korea, Sibpalgi also became a catch all term for any Korean kung fu.

The list of 18 techniques that I learned jive pretty much with the Muyaedobotongji with a few exceptions, ie. Ssangjulgon instead of the flail. It should also be noted that I have not learned all of the 18 techniques yet.
    Do you know if the korean sipalki is a modern reconstruction or if it have a traceable lineage back to ancient korea?

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 5:04pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, no Sibpalgi has a connection to ancient Korea. It dates back to the Yi Dynasty. The Muyaedobotongji itself is only about 250 years old. One system of Sibpalgi may have roots that go back past the Occupation as well as modern reconstruction and/or innovations. Due to the CMA influence, some systems of Sibpalgi may have taken in large amounts of material from Shaolin Long Fist, Northern Mantis, or even Bagua.

Let me re-iterate that there is NO ONE SIBPALGI. It's a catch all term, not a style itself.

Traditional KMA were never organized in a Ryuha system designed to pass on one set of locked in techniques. Rather, styles evolved to match the times and conflict, and had various influences, be they Chinese, Japanese, or native Korean. You can have the Sibpalgi of one school or association, and it can be very different from the 18G of another association. One thing that tends to remain standard is that it will retain a more CMA flavor than the post-Occupation Budo influenced arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 6:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    First off, no Sibpalgi has a connection to ancient Korea. It dates back to the Yi Dynasty. The Muyaedobotongji itself is only about 250 years old. One system of Sibpalgi may have roots that go back past the Occupation as well as modern reconstruction and/or innovations. Due to the CMA influence, some systems of Sibpalgi may have taken in large amounts of material from Shaolin Long Fist, Northern Mantis, or even Bagua.

Let me re-iterate that there is NO ONE SIBPALGI. It's a catch all term, not a style itself.

Traditional KMA were never organized in a Ryuha system designed to pass on one set of locked in techniques. Rather, styles evolved to match the times and conflict, and had various influences, be they Chinese, Japanese, or native Korean. You can have the Sibpalgi of one school or association, and it can be very different from the 18G of another association. One thing that tends to remain standard is that it will retain a more CMA flavor than the post-Occupation Budo influenced arts.
    Another question...
    You know anything about Kim Kwang Suk? He supposedly learned Shippalgi in secret during the occupation.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 7:00pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry. The only Kim Kwangsuk I remember was a rock musician who killed himself a bit back.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 12/22/2007 10:36am at .
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast