resident sick ****

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do troll Aikido IRL?

I thought this was pretty funny. It's not as incredible as Annatrocity choking out an Aikido guy at a party repeately but still funny.

I have practiced Aikido for nearly three years now and I have always had a hard time explaining to others what I practice without completely humiliating myself.
    Today we had a slow day in class and my teacher asked me to show him how you practice Aikido.

I responded that a classroom setting is neither ideal nor appropriate to perform Aikido, however, the rest of the class built off of that topic and poked fun at it. They would draw "chi balls" on the board and ask if the creators of Dragon Ball Z invented Aikido. However, I still refused to show them because I felt that it was not appropriate for the setting and situation and that my demonstrating it to them under their demand was simply a way for me to feel better about myself--to prove to myself that Aikido is not just a philosophy based upon Utopian ideals, but an actual martial art.

In the end, the teacher never took control of the situation and it seemed like nothing was to be gained from the rest of the time in class, so I decided to show them an Aikido technique. Shihonage.

Now, since I'm a 6'4 person who cannot bend using his legs because of surgery and I was to perform Shihonage on my willing 5'7 teacher, I'm sure you can figure out what happens next: he rolls out and I'm completely embarrassed.

After that I tried to explain that it was simply my poor performance that resulted in that and not the art itself. In the end, most of the time in RELIGION class in this CATHOLIC HIGH school was spent insulting an art of peace and degrading my dignity.

Regardless if I perform or not, I get the same treatment whenever people ask about Aikido. Is it a "real" martial art or just a philosophy with theories on combat. And after each one I keep feeling that I must "prove" the art to them--that if I had the skill and power to prove it I might retain some of my dignity in admitting to practice this wonderful art.

At my age, when all we think about are the scientific results and how badly you can hurt someone, practicing Aikido is very difficult on a social level. I almost would prefer to take another martial art just so that I can retain some dignity and get a little respect for my hard work. Ego trip I know, but when your a 6'4 eighteen year-old, admitting to practice in a completely "self-defense" martial art is social suicide.

What are your thoughts on this? Have any of you felt this way--this doubt and humiliation when you attempt to explain or demonstrate the art that you spend years practicing?
    http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...pic.php?t=9913
    カンフー

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:08pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really hate aikido don't you?

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:11pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a work, except for the part at the start where you said "I have practiced Aikido for nearly three years now and I have always had a hard time explaining to others what I practice without completely humiliating myself".

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by debul937
    You really hate aikido don't you?
    No I really enjoyed class today.
    カンフー

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:21pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it's a love-hate relationship?

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three years and you still don't know how to punch someone in the face and throw them. Shouldn't that worry you at least a little bit?
    カンフー

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by debul937
    So it's a love-hate relationship?
    Sort of. It's like a kyokushin practioner who is embarrased of his Wado ryu karate counterpart.
    カンフー

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:29pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Sort of. It's like a kyokushin practioner who is embarrased of his Wado ryu karate counterpart.
    Just post a video all ready. So your art is the Kyukushin of Aikido? Please...

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally you changed your style field to Tomiki. It took me 5 minutes to find out that Shodokan and Tomiki were the same thing.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    Just post a video all ready. So your art is the Kyukushin of Aikido? Please...
    I refuse to post that video anymore. Just look at you tube.
    カンフー
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast