Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 8:01pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jack Dempsey's Championhip Boxing

Here is the link to Dempsey's Championship boxing if anyone is interested. It's dated but still a worth a look. It is a pdf file so you can download it and print it if you want.

http://www.freecirclefighting.com/

click on the archive tab and look for the pdf reference.

The book is a really good look at old school boxing, the chapter on shovel hooks and uppercuts is well worth reading.

I"m not going to hang around as my head is not really all with it right now. I just found out my grandson does NOT have cystic fribosis!!! Up until today it has been a very SUCK week.

It is good to share good news.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's good to hear good news. Mazel tov.

And thanks for the link; it may have been posted before, but I somehow missed it. So it hasn't been a total loss. ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 10:08pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same here. Either way, thanks to both posters of this, it sounds like it'll come in handy.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That book is not anywhere near as dated as you seem to suggest.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 8:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    That book is not anywhere near as dated as you seem to suggest.
    Yes, and no. While the content is good the vocabulary and illustrations are quaint. Also, the lead jolt is not as common of a punch nowadays. I think the book is great that is why I posted the link. I also think chap, fellow, swell should be reintroduced to the bullshido lexicon.

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 1:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Yes, and no. While the content is good the vocabulary and illustrations are quaint. Also, the lead jolt is not as common of a punch nowadays. I think the book is great that is why I posted the link. I also think chap, fellow, swell should be reintroduced to the bullshido lexicon.
    That lingo was corny even when Dempsey wrote the book. He did that on purpose as a joke.. :smile:

Yes, the "lead jolt" isn't used as much nowadays. I'm not convinced this is a good thing. I mean, when you commit to extending your arm, you open yourself up anyway. So, if you are going to expose a leak by committing, why not make it a good attack while you are at it?

I understand the need for feinting and setups, but there is a difference between a non-telegraphic decent punch thrown which doesn't work by itself and the flicky **** and/or stiff arm distance gauges you see more of today. It's almost as if boxing's jab is devolving back to pre-Jim Corbett days.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    ATTN TOM KAGAN

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 6:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. If you watch the strikers in the UFC you see more of the types of punches Dempsey was talking about. Also the book was written to a large degree to be about fist fighting and not boxing, where committing to power punching is much more important. I wonder what he would have thought about punchers like George Foreman (either time) or the early Mike Tyson. Dempsey was a big fan of shovel hooks and uppercuts as well as the jolt and at least according to his book invented the bob and weave. He also seemed to hold the jab in disdain.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 6:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trivia: Bruce Lee relied this book quite a bit. 'xcept he changed the stance so the strong side was forward, so your straight lead would be just as powerful as it can be.

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 7:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joest
    Trivia: Bruce Lee relied this book quite a bit. 'xcept he changed the stance so the strong side was forward, so your straight lead would be just as powerful as it can be.

I call Bullshido.

Please provide your references for making this kind of claim.

There are reasons why any practitioner might want to put their power side forward. However, making that hand's punch stronger is absolutely without question false.

ATTN TOM KAGAN

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 7:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    I call Bullshido.

Please provide your references for making this kind of claim.

There are reasons why any practitioner might want to put their power side forward. However, making that hand's punch stronger is absolutely without question false.
    Actually he's right.

BL did reference this book heavily and went but went with the "strong side foward" mentality. This is because he believed the lead hand would strike more often and had the potential to do more damage.

And reread what he posted. He didn't say it made the punching and stronger he said it would make as strong as it could be so your strongest weapon would be the one attacking more often.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast