Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 6:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Derren Brown could give Chris Guardian a hard time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdJf-rTVFo
    Last edited by DCS; 2/19/2007 6:41am at .

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 8:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as no one names their rabid pit bull "Chi," I think you're safe from Chi attacks...see if you can get on Dillman's email list and then email everyone on the list, post the challenge on their website, etc. Just wait for someone in his camp to acknowledge your challenge so everyone can talk about why they don't want $1,000.

That said, I'd trying to move you with my chi (knowing it's impossible) just for the chance at the $1,000...there's always a slight chance that you'll faint from something medical while I'm waving my hands around in front of your chest...
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "You are considered in Hong Kong to be the most sophisticated master of wing chun kung fu..." - just who the **** is D.B. telling that to?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    I think Derren Brown could give Chris Guardian a hard time.
    DCS, you make an excellent point. Whilst Derren freely admits everything he does is a trick, an illusion or brainwashing (no, seriously), he's frighteningly potent. Messiah, The Seance, The Heist... three very good reasons why Derren Brown probably could, if he so desired, make a "chi-blast" work.
    Of course, it would have absolutely nothing to do with chi, much like the current no-touch horseshit, chi-ballers and the like.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For discussion sake:

We have people like Brown who have chi blast skills. He explain his abilities, basically, with psichology, deception, brainwashing.... nothing supernatural, but not everybody can or know how to do it. He uses his skills for entertainment/show/people amusement and earns well deserved money and fame doing it.

But, guys in different times, places and cultures could have developed/learned the same skills (i don't think Brown is the first guy on Earth with these kind of abilities), and atributed these skills to God/s, to chi or to the Force (tm). These people have their own agenda, be it propagate religious doctrine, scare the **** out of potential agressors, defeating their enemies, fame, social recognition, power, money or all together.

The problem is: what Brown does is "real"?. If it is "real" doesn't matter how you name it. As a punch to the face hurts, doesn't matter if it's a karate one or a boxing one, a no touch one could be also "real", if it's done by a british illusionist, a jesusland preacher or a chinese martial artist (if all of them have the same skills) is not relevant.
    Last edited by DCS; 2/20/2007 10:43am at .

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 11:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DCS,

Excellent points, and sort of where I was going.
    The Heist is an excellent example... Brown picked the most suggestible subjects (as I'm sure flim-flam artists, Evangelical fakers et al do), groomed them to perform certain actions, to see a certain uniform and emblem as an enemy, gave them an inflated sense of power coupled with a removal of inhibitions and put them in a situation where they couldn't resist their programming. Chilling, frankly.
    By use of ritual, visualisation and the expectation of an event, I'm pretty sure that a suggestible person could be primed to perform as required when told "I'm going to knock you out without touching you".
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    By use of ritual, visualisation and the expectation of an event, I'm pretty sure that a suggestible person could be primed to perform as required when told "I'm going to knock you out without touching you".
    Actually I've found that the sentence
    "I'm going to touch you without knocking you out" tends to make people, especially young beautiful women much more cooperative...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 12:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 1:24pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    For discussion sake:
    The problem is: what Brown does is "real"?. If it is "real" doesn't matter how you name it. As a punch to the face hurts, doesn't matter if it's a karate one or a boxing one, a no touch one could be also "real", if it's done by a british illusionist, a jesusland preacher or a chinese martial artist (if all of them have the same skills) is not relevant.
    Of course two different things can have the same result, which is "real" in either way, but there is loads of difference between claiming the cause to be Chi, or mere suggestion. So I don't entirely agree with your karate/boxing analogy since it is pretty much the same thing causing the same result. Which is different from claiming to do a no-touch-ko using chi, when it in fact is suggestion, no matter what one claims to be the cause.

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 8:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not counting my shitty analogy, can we push the thing a bit more?

If these things can be done, why not incorporate training in deception, suggestion, brainwashing and "headology" into your martial arts regime.

Remember, as A. C. Clarke said: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Now seriously: Everybody should read this:

http://franklinpapers.org/franklin/y...ol=42&page=115
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast