One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 3:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    That's an interesting statement. Why do you feel that way? Theoretically you can say that about any martial art.
    You are right. I think it is especially true of Chinese arts because certain training programs/exercises just take a long time to do. In today's day and age, most people can't dedicate 8 hours a day to training.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

And you other two ignorant cunts can go **** yourselves.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 3:15pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saying we dont take people who train at other schools means you probally suck. Its not being an ignorant ****, its called getting people to worship you and become cult like.

Who trains 8 hours a day? Even pro fighters dont do that.

If you need to train 8 hours a day in order to become proficient, the art sucks. Its not ignorance, its common sense.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Mr Mantis is commenting on this particular school but in general. And he has a point, in that if you were comparing the time it takes to be a virtuoso musician on one instrument and the commitment it takes to master that instrument many people (me included) as far as martial arts go have a limited amount of time to spend on it.

And that some teachers might consider it a waste of time if you're not going to take what they're showing you seriously.

Again on the surface that doesn;t appear to be the case with this school but Mr Mantis statement has some merit in general application.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't think that's necessarily true. I know one of the people I've sparred with is old school kung fu as is his instructor and I know he actively crosstrains in BJJ and suggests that his students crosstrain as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 4:03pm

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you were comparing the time it takes to be a virtuoso musician on one instrument and the commitment it takes to master that instrument many people (me included) as far as martial arts go have a limited amount of time to spend on it.
    That logic has never really made much sense to me. For instance of the musicians that I know, it is rare that they are only talented in the use of only one instrument, usually they have mastered at least two, and this is while they were in school studying other subjects or holding down a job. That is not to say that they wouldn't be better at using one instrument as compared to the other, but they are good at both nonetheless.

Or using another example a professor who has a PhD. in both physics and chemistry. He has, seemingly, mastered both of those fields of study, and he probably didn't have to devote eight hours of study to chemistry, and then another eight hours to physics each day.

So my question is: why is that martial arts differ from all other pursuits when it comes down to an individuals ability to master more than one at a time?

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can only train Kung Fu as it is very time consuming, maybe its teaching a lot of worthless crap? Maybe it gets too technical and flowery. Kind of like how DTT talks about the science in his WT, looking too deep into something simple like a punch.

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 4:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's another example or way of looking at it.

Elite athleates devote huge hours of their life to one sport.

That doesn't mean they can't excell at more than one sport but Tiger Woods ouldn't be Tiger if he tried to be an elite tennis player at the same time.

A nobel winning scientist has to devote himself to one field. If Einstein had devoted himself to physics and chemestry would he have been able to do what he did?

not saying this applies to any particaular martial art, just that the idea behind devoting yourself to one pursuit to achieve an super eliete level of accomplishment is not so absurd as it sounds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 4:38pm

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That doesn't mean they can't excell at more than one sport but Tiger Woods ouldn't be Tiger if he tried to be an elite tennis player at the same time.
    Ok, but what about Bo Jackson? he was talented at both Football and baseball. Would he have been better at one if he didn't practice the other? Probably, but he was better at both than most people in the world at that time so would it even matter?

A nobel winning scientist has to devote himself to one field. If Einstein had devoted himself to physics and chemestry would he have been able to do what he did?
    While Einstein wasn't a chemist, he was a brilliant mathematician, and I think his background in math helped him win that nobel prize in physics, wouldn't you agree?

I understand what you are saying, which I believe is along the lines of," A person would get better at a chosen art by specifically focusing only on that art." But I don't believe that training in multiple arts is necessarily counter productive, and can be, as with Einstein and his mathematics and physics background, symbiotic.

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 4:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to get grounded in symantec's, but saying Einstein was a great mathematician and physicist is like saying Wayne Gretzky was a great hockey player and athlete or any other athlete.

Mathematics was the tool pf physics you can't be good at physics with out math, But going to that example Einstein wasn;t a ground breaking mathematician, nor was he a noble winner for math.

And people like Bo Jackson are genetic freaks,

And Bo was never as good at Football as he was at baseball and would have had a longer and better career if he just stuck to one.

If you want to be an Olympic level wrestler, a violin virtuosu an ADCC winning BJJ champion you have to dedicate yourself almost exclusivly to those particular pursuits.

Personally I don't and have no problem in mixing everything up.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis

I don't know anything about this school and can not intelligently comment further.
    i do know a bit about this school, but nothing i'm going to repeat on a public forum.

i would suggest you check out some other schools that DO allow you to crosstrain. look at the upper-right corner of my post and you can see a review of my school.

if you want, i can also suggest some others.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast