222023 Bullies, 4169 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I admit that I know next to nothing regarding treatment of injuries so I'm confused. Some people say ice, others heat packs. Are they used to treat the same family of injuries?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 2:51pm

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ice usually the first 48 hrs. Warmth -in moderation!- after that is good for pain.

This might be a real effing bummer, but here goes:

Buddy of mine in California hurt his shoulder this Fall; sounded like he strained his deltoid, but it was probably rotator cuff. He'd rest until it felt better, then go back to the gym and do "a little" exercise--- and F- it up again. I'm far away and wasn't getting the blow-by-blow, so I couldn't bitch him out in a timely manner.

He took leave over Xmas, and 'cause he didn't feel like driving down here where he used to live, or out to any relatives, he sat around for two weeks playing Xbox obsessively. Then he started getting what sounded like carpal tunnel in his lower arm-- tingling, burning, numbness. He'd injured his right shoulder and video controller is all right hand, so he was still overstimulating the injury.

You didn't say if it was right shoulder or left, but careful anyways.

Rest. Ice and/or Heat. Elevate when resting so your arm's not just "hanging", use an armrest or pillow. Judicious use of anti-inflammatories (i.e. don't eat ibuprofen until you have a bleeding ulcer). VERY light massage might help. Consider heat on your neck, if you've torqued your trapezius too-- sounds like maybe you did.

See what your Doc thinks of gay bionic devices like this--

http://shop.nhl.com/sm-tru-fit-neopr...i-1333180.html

Good luck!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 5:34pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I know, ice and anti-inflammatories are generally recommended, along with a sling.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 6:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    As far as I know, ice and anti-inflammatories are generally recommended, along with a sling.
    All my injuries - shoulders, knees, groin, etc. that is the same advice. I've been explicitly told not to use heat. Heat is ok for tight muscles, but for injuries the whole game is keeping inflammation to a minimum, especially at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 7:42pm

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    I admit that I know next to nothing regarding treatment of injuries so I'm confused. Some people say ice, others heat packs. Are they used to treat the same family of injuries?
    Quick answer, yes, what they said. No heat until all initial swelling and inflammation has subsided.

ICE: Vasoconstricts, so it decreases circulation and migration of fluid into the affected area. Helpful with fresh muscle injuries to decrease swelling and prevent more swelling & pain. Has an anti-inflammatory effect because it slows swelling and counters heat- two parts of the mechanism of inflammation.
    Good for new injuries, good for most injuries with swelling. May be bad for injures where there is torn muscle fibers, as it will cause them to further contract. Too much cold/overdoing ice, generally bad due to diminishing circulation.

HEAT: Vasodilates; increases circulation, increases fluid in the area. Can help healing by increasing circulation. Good for pain control with torn muscles. Bad for new injuries, or injuries where there is still edema/swelling, as it brings in more fluid and can increase pain and swelling. "Throbbing" is usually a sign of this. Once the initial reaction has subsided, heat is good for circulation and may speed recovery.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 7:55pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FWIW, I have injured my shoulder just from swimming...

If you are icing, never do it for more than 20 minutes. http://www.google.com/search?q=hunting's+response

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 6:30am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm just totally resting it now until I see the Doc
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thought I'd continue this thread rather than start a new one. I too received an injury froma dodgy Judo throw. In this case, I was fighting to stay upright and brought my opponent down on top of me. My knee made a lovely popping sound and that was that. Doctor says I've damaged my medial meniscus (shock absorber of some sort apparently). Anyway, I can walk fine but I can't run (or take any impact for that matter) nor can my knee take any sideways or twisting pressure.

Grappling's out for the time being and so is running obviously. I'm biking and using the rowing machine for cardio but weights are a problem. Since I can't even pick up proper weights I'm just doing bodyweight for the time being. Any good overall, core exercises that don't involve heavy weight (squats etc.) or impact (burpees etc.)?
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 2:45pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard
    Thought I'd continue this thread rather than start a new one. I too received an injury froma dodgy Judo throw. In this case, I was fighting to stay upright and brought my opponent down on top of me. My knee made a lovely popping sound and that was that. Doctor says I've damaged my medial meniscus (shock absorber of some sort apparently). Anyway, I can walk fine but I can't run (or take any impact for that matter) nor can my knee take any sideways or twisting pressure.

Grappling's out for the time being and so is running obviously. I'm biking and using the rowing machine for cardio but weights are a problem. Since I can't even pick up proper weights I'm just doing bodyweight for the time being. Any good overall, core exercises that don't involve heavy weight (squats etc.) or impact (burpees etc.)?
    **** on a stick, must be the English weather. Sounds very similar to my current knee issues, have a look at my training log (Blog the Dog).

I think you're right about the cycling, it's about the only way I find I can give my legs a decent workout at the moment.

Did you get a physio referral?

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 4:02pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are concerned about Dynamic Flexibility, I'd avoid Cycling. Doing cycling tends to shorten the strech reflex, and should be avoided. Read about it

www.stadion.com/question_stretching.html

tons of useful info there. If you aren't worried about flexibility so much, though, go ahead, it's a nice way to pass time and get fit.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast