223544 Bullies, 3729 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about screaming that you have AIDS? Worked for one girl i know.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoushutiger
    1. Foward thrust kick
    2.chop block
    3. armbar
    4. ability to grapple, like how to grab. I guess I'll call it basic grab.
    5. "soft" palm blocks
    6. puching? like strait up punch, hammer, etc.
    7. basic takedowns
    8. roundhouse kick
    9. rear kick (if you see a attacker behind you, a good one of these to the groin will prevent the whole fight lol)
    10. basic, small joint locks, such as wrist.
    go ahead and hate if you want, but thats what I came up with in two minutes.
    Uhmm, what? Como??? I'm not sure what you meant by that, but grappling = grabbing how-to.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor
    Why would that be important? On one shoulder the backpack would be easier to steal and the uneven weight distribution would interfere with fighting and might fall off. Or, is the point that you can take off the pack easier on one shoulder?
    The later... but more important than that, you don't want to give your opponent an easy-to-grab handle on you from where he can grab/toss you around, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    1. jab
    2. evasive footwork
    3. sprawl
    4. some form of hip throw and/or osoto
    5. bridge
    i take it this is the more serious half of your entry. ;) i notice you don't have a lot of striking techniques there. is that intentional, to emphasize "getting out" of a fight situation rather than continuing it? is it just your personal preference? i see how all of those could be used to momentarily thwart an attacker, whether he was trying to strike or grab you, and get out from under an attacker if they happened to tackle you. i like your five, anyway.
    I can't believe you didn't take my poop-fling-fu seriously :) But yeah, if it's strictly S/D, I like an emphasis in keeping an attacker at bay.

In an act of robbery, all that **** goes out of the window, and the best thing is to give them your wallet (even if you have a weapon) and walk away uninjured. Leave the heroics to SuperMan or The Punisher. But I think (at least for men), these type of S/D scenarios are the exception rather than the rule.

I don't have any hard statistics, but most S/D scenarios (for men anyways) involve some haymaker idiot stirring **** at a bar or a parking lot, for instance. Keeping the distance while throwing some decent jabs will deter most people... and if you are lucky, may give them the impression you know how to fight. That can give you a mental edge over them. If you can keep it like that for a few seconds, chances are the situation will difuse itself.

BTW, by "decent jab" I mean something solid, maybe not perfect but that looks solid and educated to the uneducated, pedestrian masses. In these kind of situations, impressions are everything. When **** hits the fan and someone wants to stir **** with you, the last thing you want is to look like a punching bag. You want to look like you have balls, AND that you KNOW how to back them up.

Also, from a legal point of view, you don't want to **** somebody unless you really have to. If you can keep your distance and act defensively in front of witnesses (even if you can flatten the other guy's nose with some solid jabs), it's all in your favor. My motto is not to scalate **** unless there is no other choice.

I mentioned bridging in #5, but even then, I have my hesitations (see above). I can explain someone the value of it, but that doesn't mean this person will know what to do if he is taken to the ground. I don't see how the basics of ground fighting (in this case, escaping and going back to standing) can be explained and instructed in a casual manner.

That's why I mentioned sprawling and some form of basic throwing in #3 and #4. Funny thing is that I taught some bastardized o-goshi's, seoi's and osotos to one of my sisters back in middle school, which she was able to use it a couple of times on dudes who tried to be too "fresh". I actually had to admonish her later because she got into the habit of throwing the **** out of people.

The concepts are quite simple, easy to understand and relatively easy to execute on people that have no clue about what's going on. It doesn't have to be perfect, it can be sloppy, but if it can surprise your average opponent and get him off you and buy you a few seconds, then it's good enough.

Talking about women, things are trickier for them. They need far more training in grappling than a man would (since most assault would be of the sexual kind.) It is impossible to effectively teach the basics of it to anyone in a casual manner.

So I'm sure my list won't work for women at all.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 10:49am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would that be important? On one shoulder the backpack would be easier to steal and the uneven weight distribution would interfere with fighting and might fall off. Or, is the point that you can take off the pack easier on one shoulder?
    Yes, a bag would be easier to steal this way, but was thinking more along the lines of an attack. A backpack is a great grip for someone to grab you with and control you from behind...especially if it is on both shoulders and won't come off easily. Also, a backpack is a good barrier between you and a knife. Not, that I advocate fighting a guy with a knife, because I don't. BUT, if left with no choice, a bag is a decent bit of barrier/blocking tool against a knife slash or attack. It is quickly removed when it is on one shoulder instead of two.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 2/15/2007 11:25am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 11:05am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not necessarily in order:

1. Monkey Steals Peach, otherwise known as grab, twist, and pull
    2. Knee (crotch, thigh/knee)
    3. Rear Elbow (Solar Plexus, Gut)
    4. Foot Stomp (target the tiny bones near the front of the foot)
    5. Breaking Grip (wrist grabs, bear hugs from rear, etc...)
    6. Forward thrust kick
    7. Head Butt
    8. Some basic sweep (grappling) in case of mount
    9. How to push (basic balance breaking)
    10. Low knee kicks

In self defense you want to get the hell away from someone, this breaks down to freeing yourself from their hold and making space to get away. I am not certain of the eye gouges effectiveness as it could open yourself up to other grasps. It is not far fetched to assume a much stronger opponent. The most effective techniques, IMO, are the knee kicks and groin grab.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 12:01pm

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NasalInfection
    Not necessarily in order:

1. Monkey Steals Peach, otherwise known as grab, twist, and pull
    Yeah, that works, like, all the time. I seen it on TV.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 1:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by viator
    You've never been grabbed by your peaches have you.

I have... by some sort of manual laborer too... them bitches were swoll up for like a week, it sucked.

However that did not stop me from choking him out. (And beating him some while he was unconscious)

But admittedly I am a trained individual with a moderate threshold for pain.

I think against the average joe, the ball squeeze would be effective. (Though it does open you up to take some punishment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 1:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are being assaulted sexually, the peach grab will give you the room needed to run, or at least space to perform some other move to gain more room. If you are getting your purse, man-purse, snatched then it will not be as effective. It is a defensive move in reality, when the perp puts himself in range. No way in hell would I see it being done as shown in the actual ninja manual.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 4:58pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see why some are saying clinch work is important but the way I see it if you are in a self defense situation, the other guy or one of them probably has a blade, if he gets in clinch range you are fucked!

Wouldnt it be more effective and perhaps easier to train just to keep your distance, create openings and get the **** out ? Francis Obikwelu style.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 5:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Seven
    I see why some are saying clinch work is important but the way I see it if you are in a self defense situation, the other guy or one of them probably has a blade, if he gets in clinch range you are fucked!

Wouldnt it be more effective and perhaps easier to train just to keep your distance, create openings and get the **** out ? Francis Obikwelu style.
    If you're going to fight a guy with a knife, one of the first requirments is that you become really, really good at clinchwork. Because you sure as hell aren't going to box the fucker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 6:50pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. how to keep your chin in
    2. how to slip a punch
    3. how to clinch
    4. how to knee and elbow from the clinch (attached striking)
    5. how to do a basic hipthrow from the clinch
    6. armbar
    7. rnc
    8. what gaurd is
    9. basic sweep from gaurd 1
    10. basic sweep from gaurd 2
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast