Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 4:30pm

Style: JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hong Kong - Institute of Martial Arts

Don's "Institute of Martial Arts" in Hong Kong:
    People who come to our dojo are welcome and respected. We help each other to learn in a friendly and safe manner. The students are not just learning an effective self-defence system, but also a way of self-improvment.

About the JuJitsu & MMA Classes:
    The JuJitsu & MMA system we teach is based on traditional Japanese styles of Martial Arts that the historically famous Samurai Warriors used, as well as including some Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) techniques.

With a large variety of techniques such as Punching, Kicking, Knee and Elbow techniques (similar to what would be found in Karate), Joint-Locking, Pressure-Points, Circular-Redirection and Balance-Control Techniques (similar to what would be found in Aikido), Break-falling, Rolling, Throwing and Grappling & Ground-Fighting techniques (similar to what would be found in Judo), Weapons and Weapons-Defence (Kobudo), this system of JuJitsu is a well-rounded, powerful and effective form of Self-Defence.

About the Head Instructor:
    “Sensei” Don McPherson, from Canada, has trained since his youth in a variety of Martial-Art systems and continues to be a dedicated practitioner. He is a member of the World Kobudo Federation, a member of the Hong Kong Martial Arts Association, a member of the BushidoKai Academy, completed Level 1 Shoot-Wrestling Instructor training and is a Certified Instructor of JuJitsu.

Extra MA Training:
    Also, as respect to my good friend and Tai Chi Sifu, on the website is also offered information of how to contact "Sifu" Cheng if anyone is interested in learning Tai Chi Chuan - Yang Style, in Hong Kong. Sifu Cheng, who is a long-time practitioner and Certified Tai Chi Instructor, teaches Tai Chi most mornings outside in Kowloon Park. Arrangements for classes in Tai Chi would have to be made by contacting Sifu Cheng via the contact information provided on our website.

Any inquires are always welcome.
    www.hkjujitsu.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	7309  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	057.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	7310  

Attached Images    
    Last edited by BigDon; 2/14/2007 4:50pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 1:08am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to visit your school while in staying in HK this year. It appears from your website that while your class size is small, it covers a broad range of MA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HungryJoe:
    Thanks for your interest in our dojo. I got your email and sent you a reply.
    Just to add some info here on a couple of things; Yes, the next time you're in Hong Kong (or anyone else interested for that matter) you are quite welcome as my guest to visit our little dojo and participate in any of the group classes. First time students can have a free trial lesson to give them a chance to see if they enjoy it and if it's something they're interested in.

Also, you are observant and correct in mentioning that the class size seems small. True. One reason being is that our "Dojo" is actually a smallish sized dance-studio in which I rent that room for a few hours through the week for some group and private lessons. So practice space is a bit limited.
    And aside from that, I prefer to keep the number of students per class small too. Usually there are less than 8 students per class participating in the group classes, though I may be able to accommodate up to around 10 students per class. Once more students start coming regularly to the dojo then I would most likely make a separate group class to avoid the number of students per class from getting too big. So, another reason I also prefer having a smaller group per class is that, in my experience, it tends to make for a more friendly and personal training atmosphere, plus I am better able to keep watch on the students as they practice the various techniques therefore more able to give them more attention to each of them in helping them to learn.

I do have experience in teaching larger groups, but I find the approach of teaching a larger group tends to be less personal (almost like having to take on more of a "Drill Sergeant" type of approach in that case to try and keep control of a larger group) as well I'm not as able to give each students as much individual attention to help them learn and improve. Of course if teaching a larger group it always helps if someone is able to help assist, but for my current location and situation I don't have an assistant - though I will sometimes pair up a new-student with a more experienced-student so the more experienced-student can also help the new-student in learning some of the techniques we may be currently practicing.

I'm not running my school as a "McDojo" to try and "get lots of students and make lots of money". And there are no contracts or hidden-fees. In fact, most all of the money the students pay me for the lessons goes right back into paying for the rent of the room. But that's okay. I practice and teach the Martial Arts because it's something I love to do and something I enjoy to share with others.

And yes, there is a broad range of Martial Art techniques offered in our classes, so just attending one class would not be enough to fully see what is taught and practice there. For example, one class we might focus of ground-fighting techniques, another class we may focus on striking techniques, or joint locking, or throws, or knife-defence, etc. So each class is a bit different. But that being said, there is a still a structure and curriculum as to what is taught and it may be common to see some of the same techniques practiced from one class to the next in order to help build a foundation.

I hope this information is helpful. Of course, feel welcome to contact me with any more questions. I look forwards to meeting you.

Best regards,
    --- Don.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 4:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry for double post. it seemed there was trouble posting and I thought it never worked.
    Last edited by BigDon; 2/16/2007 2:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please accept apologies again from me (a nOOb here on these forums.)
    When I originally posted the last couple of messages, it never seemed to work on my end and the message never appeared. So I thought something wrong and my messages went into the 8th dimension or something, so I tried re-posting my messages a couple of times. So, if a MOD sees this post and my above post (#3 and #4), they could remove for me. Thanks for understanding.
    Last edited by BigDon; 2/16/2007 3:55pm at .