228131 Bullies, 4786 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed. The Strong Christian beliefs thing would steer me away from the Shootfighting pretty quickly.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 12:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    asriel, i hold my head a little higher.

ithe religion thing doesn't bother me. i think the instructor feels like he is saving kids from the streets with his school. nothing wrong with that. unless he doesn't get through to them. then he's got a brood of combat trained criminals on his hands.

the shootfighting freaks me out a bit though, it is a bart vale certified instructor school and from what i have learned, the instructor had to view some dvds, attend some conference, take a test... all sounds a bit bizarre to me. but he has amateur boxing there, and the instructor has fought competitively in the past and i do know that his students do well in comps - one of them won a tourney recently (he shared that with me when i was talking to him)

i'll give both schools a try and start a new thread. it might be a while though, i am training for a marathon and dont have a ton of time or energy right now.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 12:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd go with tshootfighting from a stylistic standpoint. More to learn/covers more ranges.
    But BJJ will probably give you much better grappling, and I hear that shootfighting is not large enough to have a real standard. So quality control could be anywhere. I would do BJJ for a while and then look at the Shootfighting sometime later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 12:30pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craphonso
    Trying to find a new gym. Right now deciding between the two following places...

http://www.nfbjj.com/

or

http://www.deadgamefightschool.com/

I am 32, with a a family and full time job, so I wont be able to train more than once or twice a week. I trained for around 2 years in the Chun, but I am pretty sure I wasted most of those years.

From what I have gathered on this site so far, Shootfighting is really MMA, but will be very general in nature, and I will work towards being a jack of all trades, master of none. I met the instructor and he was a pretty good guy, seemed like he had some success in competitive fighting. The BJJ school doesn't do much training in takedowns though, and does nothing for striking. From my end that is fine, because I despise getting punched in the face, however, from a self defense standpoint, it would probably make sense to learn a bit of striking.

They are both relatively cheap ($60 per month for shootfighting, $20 per class for BJJ - no contracts necessary) - beats the hell out of the $150 on a 2 year contract I paid for WC.

I am looking for self defense, excercise, and recreation. I would consider entering into a grappling tournament for sure, but competition is not the goal of my training.

Any thoughts?

Crap
    Deffinatley do BJJ, and if you wanna learn strikes take up Muay Thai, shootfighting is kinda like that old saying, jack of all trades master of none, you know. I would study the seperate disciplines it seems more effective that way, just my oppinion though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 12:40pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well BJJ is just that unto itself. Which is already an ever evolving grappling system as we know it and is PURELY focused in ground submissions. But the only downsides are their lack of throws and strikes, really.

Shootfighting on the other hand is more of a mixture of Muay Thai, Judo (in some circles), Boxing and Catch Wrestling right out of the box. They’re constantly evolving also, but it’s not as regulated as BJJ may be. Shootfighting/Shooto DOES concentrate more on the grappling side though, but not as concentrated as BJJ.

But then again, it all depends on the practitioner. Some Shooto schools are more concentrated on grappling, while others are more on all around conditioning.

Personally, I think that BJJ is a bit more focused on fighting from your back/guard and technical in clever submissions, like the Gogo or Omo Plata (sp?). While Catch is more focused on going for ANY submission available regardless of positioning and biased toward slams and shoots.

Anyhow, if you practice BJJ and incorporate Judo/Shuai Chiao, Boxing and Muay Thai, you’re TECHNICALLY doing Shootfighting just as well. Makes no real difference any way you go, if you ask me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well there is a time and dedication factor at work here. i am certainly not going to be taking two different styles at once. try that with two young kids and tell me how that works out for you.

the shootfighting instructor told me he gets a few students from bjj who leave because they like to be more aggressive, and use their strength more than bjj allows - he has mandatory strength and conditioning classes each week. does bjj not use a lot of athleticism, or was he blowing smoke?

the only thing that has me thinking is just being limited to only grappling... i dont know if this sounds stupid though, but how many self defense (bar brawl) situations do you really need superior striking skills to work your way into a grappling situation in? i mean, does the average drunken tard really have a good sprawl? plus i could always just bong sau my way in! heh heh

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 12:59pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my experience as an LEO (and my life in the "real world" previously) I would take the BJJ in a heartbeat.

Take that opinion for what you will

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 1:07pm

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craphonso
    yeah asriel, they do. problem is, i dont know enough to be able to tell if what they are learning is any good. remember, i trained in wing chun for 2 years, and at one time almost bought a wooden dummy. what does that say about me?
    Lionel and Victor are both good instructors from what I could tell, though I was only able to get a month's worth of classes in before going out with an injury. My first class had a bit of takedowns and sprawls, but that was it. The rest of my classes consisted of lots of rolling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 1:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
    From my experience as an LEO (and my life in the "real world" previously) I would take the BJJ in a heartbeat.

Take that opinion for what you will
    I have utmost respect for your opinion as a Law Enforcement Officer. Who the hell else could speak more as a subject matter expert in useful, efficient hand to hand combat that can be learned within the confines of a normal life (not training 4 hours a day)?

I think the decision has been made.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Crap

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by amichaell
    Lionel and Victor are both good instructors from what I could tell, though I was only able to get a month's worth of classes in before going out with an injury. My first class had a bit of takedowns and sprawls, but that was it. The rest of my classes consisted of lots of rolling.

hey there mike. guess i will be joining you at your school. get your arm healed fast so i can kick your ass.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast