Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 2:49pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can get cloth by the yard for like 1.99 if you buy cheap stuff at walmart. Spend 20$, buy 10 yards of cloth and rip it into strips and stuff the bag with that. If you want to be hardcore you can cut the legs off of a few pairs of old bluejeans (2-3$ at goodwill) and roll those up and put them in the middle to make a more solid core. Just make sure you have plenty of cloth around the jeans since denim makes a pretty solid wad when you roll it up tight. Oh, once it's rolled up put some heavy rubber bands around it to keep it that way. But really, cloth strips will probably do you fine.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lower end commercial bags are frequently filled with a core of sand surrounded by shredded cloth (about 1:2 by weight); however, over time this invariably results in broken sandbags and sand collecting in the bottom of the bag. you DO NOT want this. a good bag should be pretty consistent top to bottom; variation will lead to bad habits.

packed sawdust is HEAVY and HARD. be aware of this. most sawdust/sand filled bags i've seen have a foam liner so you don't break your damn leg on them.

my plan for my next heavy bag is rubber mulch; i believe it'll be fairly suitable in terms of weight and hardness without a liner. the downside is that it's about $.80/lb. i'm going to investigate it a bit more in the spring.

the bag we use most at my dojo, by the way, is a 42" ringside canvas bag filled with the cloth shreds (but not the sand) from an expired everlast of the same size. this results in a bag weighing 54lbs that is suitable (in terms of hardness) for bareknuckle work. as the cloth settles, i'm going to add more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 3:17pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While you guys were posting all this useful information, I was filling my bag with alternating layers of wood chips (actual chips of wood, not saw dust) and old jeans. The finished product (until next week when I add more cloth) can be found here: www.greeleykyokushin.com/bag.jpg

Thanks again for all the advice, and hopefully I didn't ruin the bag. I can always remove the filling and try again right?

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 3:30pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's going to be a hard and possibly painful bag to kick... Hope it works out for you. I would have ditched the wood chips and put at least a layer of pillow cases or something around the jeans.... But I'm a wuss.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wood chips are much larger then saw dust, and it seems to me that there shape and size would prevent them from settling as hard as saw dust. Only time and my shins will tell I suppose.

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 4:13pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm invisioning a 2"x2" piece of wood as a "wood chip" are they smaller than that? I'm wondering what will happen if one of those makes its way near the surface of the bag and you catch a corner with your shin or something....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 5:56pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fill it with rice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 6:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wood chips are pretty small, not big enough to do damage to the user or bag, but bigger then saw dust. Haven't you guys seen wood chips before?? Its the stuff you put on the floor of a horse stall or something.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last time I saw a horse was on TV.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 7:16pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bleh, i used to have to shovel the poopy wood chips out of the horse stalls when I was young. That job sucked.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast