• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 3:51am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Sit Through Variation

Right now, I love Judo sit throughs. I have been working on trapping the head and arm very tightly and making sure keep the head and arm very secure. Still, sometimes I find them able to pop out in a scramble and go for the back, which is when I instantly go back to a more conventional side mount (underhooking both arms).

I found a sit through variation but dont know what it is called and it is amazingly stable. I go into side mount. From side mount, I pass the near arm (the one normally used in the headlock/sit through) and go into 69/ north-south. I underhook what was his far arm from the side mount, and go into a judo sit through from here. My leg goes under his head and I trap the head and arm from a north/south, with my legs very wide and into a split. He can't bridge because his neck is trapped too tight, he cant roll because of my split legs and all around cant move.

Ive done this with a few guys at the school and none can get out, but I have trouble going for anything other then a Kimura/Keylock.

Does anyone use this position, know what its called and any good uses for it besides waiting for a Kimura?

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 5:50am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 11:58am

TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My description is and yes it the second one. Thanks. I didnt know the name.

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 12:59pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I use it all of the time. The second variation is what most people will just refer to as kesa, the first is reverse kesa. From kesa you can either grab under their far side arm, or do the headlock. I prefer the headlock usually, unless someone is really slick in taking the back.

From the headlock variation, you can secure it a bit better by reaching over their close side arm that your leg is under, and grabbing your own pant leg, or cupping your thigh. If they are less experienced, you then might be able to get them in a close side arm bar, just by stretching out that arm, then stepping over it with your free leg.

If they pull their arm back you can sometimes push it across them , tuck your head down, and get them with an arm triangle. With noobs, it can become a torturous game of alternation between arm bars and arm triangles.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't you get me with a wrist lock from there once?

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 2:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, from the first one though, not the second. Ive been using the first sit through as my go to side mount and the wrist lock/armlock there.

Now Im trying the other variation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 6:37pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    personally i dont like normal kesa gatame or the variation you mentioned

http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/...esa_gatame.gif is the version i prefer, the underhook prevents them taking your back by simply by shrugging you off

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    personally i dont like normal kesa gatame or the variation you mentioned

http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/...esa_gatame.gif is the version i prefer, the underhook prevents them taking your back by simply by shrugging you off
    Kuzure kesa gatame is, in my opinion, far superior as well. Regular kesa is okay if you can keep them flatened out (e.g. by driving into them) but once they're no longer flat it tends to suck.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just so you guys are clear, this is the one I just started to use. http://www.judoinfo.com/images/osaek...esa_gatame.gif

I also like using this, http://www.judoinfo.com/images/osaek...esa_gatame.gif , I realize the guy can take my back, but if you drive in and keep the head and arm tight, its hard. Ill pull the arm up by the tricep and squeeze the head. If I feel Im in danger I just let it go and go for a diferent hold.

I like the sit throughes so much because it makes armlocks very easy. I dont see any image or name for it on the Judo site, but I use it in BJJ. From the makura or hon kesa gatame, one arm is in and one is out. I attack the traped arm with a Kimura, using my hands. If that fails because he straightens his arm, I trap the straight arm in my leg and bend the elbow on my thigh, for the armlock. If he bends his arm while trapped in my leg, I have a nice Kimura but using my leg instead of my hands.

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 4:37pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The armlock with legs variations are called kesa garami. http://www.sportschule-tokio.gerwins...sa-garami.html

There's also gyaku (reverse) kesa garami. http://www.sportschule-tokio.gerwins...sa-garami.html
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 2/16/2007 4:40pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast