Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 8:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pi Quan on "Cops"....(vid)

Someone was making fun of the pi quan on that thread where we argued about the value of jabs. Here's a demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Uy59WK0bU

Notice the same stance in the slo-mo as that picture of the old dude she posted.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 8:35pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Uh, no.

Also, if that's the pi quan then I'd like to point out that the pi quan is part of 16th century german wrestling, wherin grabbing someone by the throat and tripping them is oft mentioned.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 8:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kane had a really good double pi quan

Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:07pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity

Uh, no.

Also, if that's the pi quan then I'd like to point out that the pi quan is part of 16th century german wrestling, wherin grabbing someone by the throat and tripping them is oft mentioned.
    Back on topic (there was one? lol) how do you not see the resemblence? His right hand is extended with his thumb and fingers separated and at throat level as if to grab someones throat and his right foot is placed forward, which could be placed behind his opponents legs.

And, as with anything with real value, it shows up in some form in other arts, such as 16th century german wrestling, according to you.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:10pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sidran
    Back on topic (there was one? lol) how do you not see the resemblence? His right hand is extended with his thumb and fingers separated and at throat level as if to grab someones throat and his right foot is placed forward, which could be placed behind his opponents legs.

And, as with anything with real value, it shows up in some form in other arts, such as 16th century german wrestling, according to you.
    Back on topic, that's a parrying, exploratory stance. When the cop's arm was extended like that, he'd already broken the guy's balance. Their hands are on totally different axis, as well. Anyone trying to say that cop used that kung-fu 'move' is reaching, I'm sorry.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Back on topic, that's a parrying, exploratory stance. When the cop's arm was extended like that, he'd already broken the guy's balance. Their hands are on totally different axis, as well. Anyone trying to say that cop used that kung-fu 'move' is reaching, I'm sorry.
    I'm no expert on Pi Quan so I'm just going with what I see. In the video, the cop pushed on the guys throat, reached his leg behind the kid's, and took him down. I'm just matching it with the picture. The cop may or may not have been using kung fu, but it was pretty dang close in my eyes.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The resemblence of the hand position is just great but I don't see the "same stance". The dude did not adopt or even transition through that stance, he just moved his hand into position and rushed forward with it and choke slammed the guy.

The reason i pointed that out is that Omar said something about the pi quan not being in WMA and, well, if the pi quan is grabbing someone by the throat and throwing them on the ground, there it is :)

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no expert on Pi Quan so I'm just going with what I see. In the video, the cop pushed on the guys throat, reached his leg behind the kid's, and took him down. I'm just matching it with the picture. The cop may or may not have been using kung fu, but it was pretty dang close in my eyes.
    Doesn't claiming this kind of thing trivialize the art you're trying to attach it to? I mean, you're basically saying it's possible to "wing it" and pull off recognizable kung fu techniques without training.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    The resemblence of the hand position is just great but I don't see the "same stance". The dude did not adopt or even transition through that stance, he just moved his hand into position and rushed forward with it and choke slammed the guy.

The reason i pointed that out is that Omar said something about the pi quan not being in WMA and, well, if the pi quan is grabbing someone by the throat and throwing them on the ground, there it is :)

I dunno, it looks pretty similar to me.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast