Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:06am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good Eats

Was surfing last night and Good Eats was on with an interesting episode called "Power Trip". He showed some home concoctions for Granola, Protein Bars, and Healthy Rice Crispies. Excellent stuff that I am too darned lazy to make.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._38665,00.html

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish he had nutrition info for those recipes.

Speaking of lazy meals, I've taken to adding peanutbutter, oatmeal, and protein powder to regular pancake mix. Makes a healthy filling meal and they freeze well so I can mix up a big batch and have them all week hot from the toaster.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:55am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I made them 2 years ago...

We were just talking yesterday about making them, but substituting some of the fat with Z-Trim..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 11:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice PirateJon. During the show he gave nutritional information for the recipes but the website doesn't list that information. I can't remember any of it off the top of my head.

Nice recipe isol8d, tell me something - how do you get your dried fruit? Aren't the supermarket versions of dried fruit, like Craisins from Ocean Spray, high in sugar?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 12:17pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dried fruits are high in sugar, but I just read the labels. Whole Foods sells bulk dried fruits without added sugars, and we there is a local fruit and nut guy at the farmers markets. Of the fruits that are sweetened, I'll look for stuff thats sweetened with fruit juice rather than HFCS.

Craisins are sweetened dried cranberries, so I stay away from them. The local vendor guy has unsweetened ones in one of his trail mixes, and they are really tart.

Also, try Bulk Foods sells some too. Our local 7th Day Adventist church also runs a food store, and they sell some good products too.

Moderation would be the key. I can't say I eat much dried fruit in general, but it did help that recipe.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to derail, but I've been a big fan of cucumber salads. Easy to make, somewhat good source of water, and more importantly, good for digestion when you are taking lots of protein. Right now I'm taking 100g of protein from shakes alone, not counting at least half a pound of animal remains...err meat and/or poultry.

Without this type of salad (and my morning bowl of oatmeal and yogurt), it gets really difficult to take so much protein (at least for me). Read "really difficult" as an euphemism for serious physiological dysfunctions, massive organ failure and internal necrosis. :tongue6:

So this is how I make a quick salad (specially for a few folks that have asked in other threads about how to eat healthy with simplicity.)

Main Ingredients: (about 2g of fiber, 3g if you use one tbspoon of ground flaxseed)

-- half a cucumber (medium size)
    -- one small tomatoe
    -- two small radishes
    -- some pickled ginger (the type used for sushi), the more the better.

Additional Spicing Stuff:

-- feta cheese
    -- half a teaspoon of olive oil
    -- cilantro (the more, the better)
    -- dried oregano, parsley, basil
    -- some salt and lemon juice
    -- one tbspoon of ground flaxseed (or toasted wheat germ)

Animal Remains/Stuff for protein: (about 42+/- g of protein)

-- one boiled egg ( 6.3g of protein )
    -- 4 shrimps (about 6g of protein ) -- skip it if you are allergic to seafood
    -- 6 oz of chicken ( 32g of protein ) -- I usually quick fry it with honey mustard

Note: If you are veg, just replace all that with tofu or something.

These are the ingredients after you dice the **** out of them (high resolution pic thingie here).

Preparation-Fu: (about 5 mins, 15 if you are a tard.)

-- dice the **** out of the vegetables (see above pic)
    -- dump the diced cucumbers, radishes and cilantro into a bowl or container thingie, and mix them
    -- dump one tbsp of ground flaxseed (or toasted wheat germ), and mix the crap out of it
    -- dump the feta cheese, and stir like a man, or a strong lady... you get the point
    -- dump some oregano, parsley, basil, salt and lemon into the mix. Stir again.
    -- dump some diced pickle ginger and olive oil. Stir
    -- put the diced animal remains/stuff (chicken, shrimp and egg), or toffu if you are a veg into the mix. Stir the crap out of it (or put them nicely if you want to impress a lady)

And voila, some greens with protein and fiber. And to top it off, the salad is a good one, not one of those lettuce salads that makes you feel like a cow munching grass.

This is what it looks like at the end (high resolution pic thingie here.)

NOTE: if you really hate cucumbers, and I can't think why on Baal's name you would, you can use raw or microwave-nuked cauliflower and/or brocolli.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/13/2007 3:23pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff, not a derail at all.

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 12:13am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate tomatoes. And cucumbers. And onions. And brussel sprouts. I hate nearly all veggies except broccoli and carrots, and spinach, and corn. And sweet potatoes. And potatoes. I think that's it. Unless you count mushrooms. I need more ways t hide this ****. I always cook the crap out of it and add it to stir fry, or do something else crazy to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 1:09am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My little bro doesn't eat alot of veg either. And though im only 17, im quite the cook when i need to be (i cook dinner half the time).

I dunno about you, but the little bloke eats carrot/mushroom/capsicum/whatever other vegetable i want to make him eat without a problem if i chop em up into little chunks or grate them, add to a mix of egg and breadcrumbs and a pinch of salt, fry them into patties and serve them up with a bit of salsa and a wholemeal bun as a burger, with a slab of cheese.

I reckon it tastes pretty good myself actually, but then i love vegetables.

You can also add a bit of parmesan (spelling?) cheese, or just regular shredded tasty/mozarella to the mix if fat content isnt an issue, and adding pan fried pine nuts goes pretty good as well.

**** im hungry now aye.

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 2:24am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's some good **** Jez. I forgot all about the old egg burger. I'll magic bullet myself to buffdom in no time!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast