Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 5:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm building up to reps on the CoC 2. I can do 3 sets of 5 with the right, and 1 set of 5 with the left with 2 more sets of 2-3.

I found repitition effort was a really helpful method, using that with the 1 to get more reps with the 2. You could most likely employ that with a trainer for the 1.

Static holds help as well though.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/02/2007 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

READ UPON PENALTY OF CASTRATION

Thread bump:

There is a thread specific to the CoC grippers here : http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49729

However, I would like you guys to keep using this thread and consolidate everything here until I figure out whether to create a new one, or to consolidate all three existing threads.

Thanks... bitches.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/03/2007 4:18pm at . Reason: linked to wrong URL
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 7:05am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could probably consolidate all the goodness from teh three threads into one sticky on grip training...
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 9:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You read my mind, dude. You read my mind :) That will be the most appropriate approach. Stand aside boys, I'm putting my construction hat on!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 2:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone tried that large, adjustable spring device? I think it's called a "super gripper" or something like that. It looks like the pull is more linear compared to traditional "V" shaped grippers

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 10:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread bump:

DieselCrew.com - Grip Strength - How to Set a Gripper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaG1G80v4k

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 5:56pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice video, el Macho. I've never been shown how to set a gripper - I've kinda just gone blindly at it.

I have a trainer and a number 1. I can close the trainer with relative confidence. The number 1 gives me trouble. I'm liking it, but I fall a little short of closing it satisfactorily. I'm pretty much even on left and right - no significant difference in overall grip strength.

I may be a complete ***** for admitting this, but the gripper shreds my hands. Does anyone else get that? The trainer is not so bad, but after a few reps on the #1, I feel like my palm and fingers are being ravaged by sandpaper. Judging from the video, I'm starting with my hand far to wide, so I can't wait to try it out when I get home.

I figure that conditioning will come with time, and I'll develop calluses or something. I'm also hoping that following the approach laid out in the video above may reduce the discomfort while closing the grippers.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 1/08/2008 5:58pm at .

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 6:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The discomfort will be less noticeable with time. Also, don't treat the CoC as a regular gripper where you can blast your way through reps. With a CoC, get one rep, reposition your hand and go for the next. This makes sure you get a good crush with each set and may reduce the friction on your hands.

You should also use chalk when using these grippers. The shreding and blistering can be caused by the gripper slipping through your hands and slowling rubbing the crap out of it. With chalk, you will minimize slippage with each set.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Closed the #1 with each hand out of the packaging.

Where the hell did I put that thing anyway?

When I purchased it I was about 195#'s and not doing any serious weight training or anything besides bjj.

If you buy a trainer, get at least a #1 too.
    Last edited by UpaLumpa; 1/08/2008 7:26pm at .

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 6:43pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good advice. Thanks mate. I'd considered maybe taping up the handles or something, but I'll definitely try chalk instead.

I tend to "hold out" on the CoC. I'll do a rep, and hold it, then resist on the negative. Three sets of fairly low reps (5-7 depending on what I can manage on the day) each hand after warming up on a crappy gripper. I moved up from the trainer to the #1 fairly quickly this way doing it monday-wednesday-friday.

Every few weeks I do forearm rolls instead on the wednesday, using one of these:

I swear to god that thing can make you want to kill yourself.

[slightly off topic] Is there a section where members like yourself review training gear - as per the setup of the dojo review section? or is it less formalized? I had a look around because I'm considering buying some new gear, but didn't see a specific review section for training equipment. I think a review sub-forum within the Physical Training, Diet, and Health Forum would be beneficial.
    [/slightly off topic]
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast