223516 Bullies, 3860 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 56
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. SpringHeeledJack is offline
    SpringHeeledJack's Avatar

    Diabolical Physiognomy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Clapham Common
    Posts
    2,385

    Posted On:
    2/12/2007 12:35pm


     Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was a very good read. One of my old instructors told me that th "real" fighters in Brazil used Capoiera (something about razors between their toes), and the sport guys used BJJ. I thought this was bunk at the time, but from what I can tell you have provided validity to my doubts. Thanks for the info.


    Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide


    HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

  2. WingChun Lawyer is offline
    WingChun Lawyer's Avatar

    Modesty forbids more.

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    5,426

    Posted On:
    2/12/2007 12:43pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by debul937
    This was a very good read. One of my old instructors told me that th "real" fighters in Brazil used Capoiera (something about razors between their toes), and the sport guys used BJJ. I thought this was bunk at the time, but from what I can tell you have provided validity to my doubts. Thanks for the info.
    The story about razors between the toes is indeed true, some capoeiristas still train that (I asked that guy at the gym). But mind you, that sort of trick was used in the good old days when murders were still commited with razors - today you just grab a gun and get over it.



    ABOUT BJJ


    Thanks for reminding me, there is something to be said about that art.

    Some BJJ teachers, such as mine, place a huge emphasis on self defense techniques and tactics, and both policemen and bouncers do BJJ for that very reason. On the other hand, I did hear BJJ blackbelts complaining that nowadays people place too much emphasis on sport competition, and not enough on self defense and submissions (why submit the other guy when you can win by points/positioning?).

    The consensus among some BJJ people is that BJJ is going down the same road as judo, as it becomes more and more popular.

    Mind you, that is their opinion. I have started BJJ three weeks ago, and am in no position to pass judgement.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.


    - W.B. Yeats
  3. metarat is offline
    metarat's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    282

    Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:01pm


     Style: Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is wonderful info, and can give people elsewhere (like me) perspective on our problems. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it.

    Stuff like this is why I came to Bullshido.

    Liked the video too; just a little relaxed banging on each other, good training.
  4. DCS is offline
    DCS's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,036

    Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:08pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice read WCL

    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer
    ... Oh, I was once challenged to a deathmatch by an aikidoka, but he refused to meet me when I said it should happen in a public place with a camera, go figure.
    Priceless.....

    BTW, Have you ever heard about these people: Sociedade Brasileira de Bugei.

    They are infesting youtube with their videos, selling his style as the real deal and legit koryu. Howevewer their lineage claims are dubious and his techniques flawed from a koryu pov.

    Can you give more info about them, or point me to brazillian forums where these people are subject of debate so i can read about them by myself.
  5. TheBigSwede is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    172

    Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:14pm


     Style: Judo + sports ju-jutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info. I'm sad everytime I hear about how many aikido McDojos there are out there. I've practised it for over seven years, and although our club doesn't market aikido much as self-defense I've had many good hours of training and made some good friends. Sure, there's the odd ninja wannabe, but he (mostly a he) usually finds his way to the iaido club sharing the dojo with us...
  6. Epicurus is offline

    I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,492

    Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:20pm


     Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigSwede
    Thanks for the info. I'm sad everytime I hear about how many aikido McDojos there are out there. I've practised it for over seven years, and although our club doesn't market aikido much as self-defense I've had many good hours of training and made some good friends. Sure, there's the odd ninja wannabe, but he (mostly a he) usually finds his way to the iaido club sharing the dojo with us...
    Yeh - IMO there are two "good" kinds of aikido; the aikido that trains hard, with aliveness and without the high horse, and Aikido that trains however it wants but doesn't claim to be the be-all end-all of self defense. These categories apply to most other "questionable" arts as well, if you ask me.

    So Capoeiristas actually train with razors in between their toes in some places in Brazil? Crazy. How do they hold razors in between their toes, special running shoes or something?

    My impression of capoeira is that it's good for dancing and perhaps even good for fighting (with knives, machetes, razors, or clubs) but not much good for hand-to-hand.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.
  7. weechey is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    319

    Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:31pm


     Style: TKD BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    rats...too bad i didn't get to read your post last week...I just met with a graduate student at Stanford where I am applying, who is from Brazil, and I happened to mention I did BJJ and he gave me this look like I was a nut - now I suspect he thinks I'm one of those violent crazy dudes :-D
  8. WingChun Lawyer is offline
    WingChun Lawyer's Avatar

    Modesty forbids more.

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    5,426

    Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:32pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Nice read WCL



    Priceless.....

    BTW, Have you ever heard about these people: Sociedade Brasileira de Bugei.

    They are infesting youtube with their videos, selling his style as the real deal and legit koryu. Howevewer their lineage claims are dubious and his techniques flawed from a koryu pov.

    Can you give more info about them, or point me to brazillian forums where these people are subject of debate so i can read about them by myself.
    I am not familiar at all with aikido, I just talked to some aikidokas online and went to one class...

    This is a link to orkut´s largest aikido community. I didn´t dig deeply there, but even if you find nothing, you could just ask them about SBB (if your portuguese is OK) and duck when the political shitstorm hits the proverbial fan.

    http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=24120

    Incidentally, if you want to see brazilian bullshido, look no further than Taiyando. Among other pearls, they train striking by sticking drinking straws in potatoes.

    www.taiyando.com.br
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.


    - W.B. Yeats
  9. WingChun Lawyer is offline
    WingChun Lawyer's Avatar

    Modesty forbids more.

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    5,426

    Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Yeh - IMO there are two "good" kinds of aikido; the aikido that trains hard, with aliveness and without the high horse, and Aikido that trains however it wants but doesn't claim to be the be-all end-all of self defense. These categories apply to most other "questionable" arts as well, if you ask me.

    So Capoeiristas actually train with razors in between their toes in some places in Brazil? Crazy. How do they hold razors in between their toes, special running shoes or something?

    My impression of capoeira is that it's good for dancing and perhaps even good for fighting (with knives, machetes, razors, or clubs) but not much good for hand-to-hand.
    They train barefooted. Remember capoeiristas were originally poor, black and oppressed, so going barefoot (or wearing sandals) was more or less the norm. My MT coach told me he knew one capoeirista who trained that way.

    Quite frankly, I never saw a capoeira fight - AFAIK, that capoeirista who did MT with me could be bullshitting. But I did read historical records of fights between capoeira gangs and between such gangs and the police: apparently old school capoeira consisted mainly of sweeps, palm strikes, head butts, elbows, front kicks, razor blades, machetes, and a gun (whenever available).

    BUT, they also did those backflips and handstands, even then. That´s all in those records, from the early 1800s to the mid 1900s (I read it in historical magazines and in books written in that period).
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.


    - W.B. Yeats
  10. FictionPimp is offline

    Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,147

    Posted On:
    2/12/2007 2:04pm


     Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to know. I'm not sure of the details yet, but my instructor (who spent a good handful of years in Brazil when he started learning bjj) is starting to plan a trip for this summer for a bunch of guys to go down to Brazil and train, see the sights, party, etc. I personally hope hotel/airfare is cheap enough that I can go.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.