Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKD/Martial Arts Values?

It has become a bone of contention around here, with some of us that TKD has core values that as TKDoist we MUST adhere too.

Courtesy
    Integrity
    Perseverance
    Self Control
    Indominable Spirit.

I find that most TKD schools are hypocrites when it comes to their tenets.

I find it hypocritical that many TKD schools spout that they live by these tenets, yet they gouge the hell out of their students at every turn.

Many BB's feel that because they have a BB or a higher rank than you the they AUTOMATICALLY deserve your adoration and respect.

I believe the opposite of this. I feel that respect is EARNED by the belt wearer and not just given out because they are wearing a Black piece of cloth around their waist.

The tenets of TKD, as I have experienced them with MANY TKD schools.

Courtesy- Be nice to the customers until they sign a Black Belt Club Contract

Integrity- Make sure that you pay your Benz payements promptly

Perseverance- Never stop looking for ways to add costs to your schools curriculum

Self Control- refraining from just reaching into their pocket and taking their money. Make them hand it to you.

Indominable Spirit- No matter how many times someone tells you, "Why is testing fees going up?" continue to raise them anyway.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 3:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TaeKwonDo, ITF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with that. Getting respect seems to be more important to other BB's than just earning it. Beacause in that matter you don't just earn their respect but their trust as well and once that's gone it's hard to get back, i think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 2:25am

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see it and have never associated any core value other than beating on people with TKD. I figured this was pretty much limited to the kids classes where they advertise to parents all that baloney about discipline, respect, and so forth. Any attempt to add some sort of value system to adult classes to me would seem like filler bullshit to hide inadequacies in training or to attract those not interested in fighting and looking to LARP.

Why do martial arts have to have values? Why can't they just be about fighting? If I want deeper meaning I frankly would rather go find a philosophy class.

I suppose these codes or tenets or whatever are as much marketing as anything else.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 6:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman
    I don't see it and have never associated any core value other than beating on people with TKD. I figured this was pretty much limited to the kids classes where they advertise to parents all that baloney about discipline, respect, and so forth. Any attempt to add some sort of value system to adult classes to me would seem like filler bullshit to hide inadequacies in training or to attract those not interested in fighting and looking to LARP.
    It isnt emphasised as much in the adult classes, but it is still there. Whenever I take a TKD guy to task, then they try to appeal to my TKD values. It saddens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman
    Why do martial arts have to have values? Why can't they just be about fighting? If I want deeper meaning I frankly would rather go find a philosophy class.

I suppose these codes or tenets or whatever are as much marketing as anything else.
    Agreed and Agreed.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't need martial arts to tell me to be a good person. Leave the pseudo-philosophy at the door. And they aren't TKD values, they are Confucian values that were peddled to Westerners because they wanted the "Asian flavor".

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I joined the school I'm in now, I was told that everyone that came in was treated with a measure of respect.

Weather or not it lasted beyond the fist visit was a function of the way you conduct yourself.

Fucktards will always be fucktards, once they show their colors, show them your back!
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 5:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    I don't need martial arts to tell me to be a good person. Leave the pseudo-philosophy at the door. And they aren't TKD values, they are Confucian values that were peddled to Westerners because they wanted the "Asian flavor".

I started this thread, because someone was trying to appeal to my MA values in another thread.

I hate that ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 6:09pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tenants are tenants and I always take them with a grain of salt, and I didn't have to do TKD to learn them. I agree that having someone try to appeal to your good sense using the tenants are basically fucktwats.

My MA values are punch or get punched. My life values were taught to me by my parents. Appeal to that.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tenets, it's TENETS. Ok?! Tenants are people who pay you rent.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Whenever I take a TKD guy to task, then they try to appeal to my TKD values. It saddens me.
    That's the only time I've ever people talk about the Martial values, is when you call them on their BS. Well that and belt tests.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast