Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:41pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Guardian
    There was only one governing body authorized by the Internationsl Judo Federation for each country. In the U.S., this was the USJI and ranks had to be approved by them. A couple of decades ago, there was a major law suit contesting this situation and resulting in the Sports Act of 1978. Basically, it was determined that no one group could hold a monopoly on such decisions. Monopolies are frowned upon in democratic societies like ours unless they are a public utility and can offfer serious financial incentives to our locally elected officials.

In any case, two other organizations were recognized as rank-granting groups in judo among other administrative functions. These were the USJA and the USJF. The former was run by Phil Porter and for many years was very effective in returning to grassroots support for judo. They did a lot of good things, like define and clarify specific rank promotion requirements.

Phil was a very charasmatic leader and outstanding fund raiser. Unfortunately, his accounting methodologies, as well as a tendency to pocket funds for private use, led to a serious financial dilemma for the USJA. He also began offering a lot of high yudansha rank, first to old friends, then to friends of old friends, then it seems to anyone with an open checkbook. He also started referring to himself as "O'Sensei" and claimed the 9th dan rank status. Eventually, Phil was forced out of the USJA and formed the USMA where I understand many of the same former policies are still in practice.
    Are you quoting from some document or are these your words?

Who would be able to provide first hand testimony as to his conduct regarding the offering/sale of high yudansha rank?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:46pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Porter's judo skills are legit, as far as I know, but he was on the "losing" side of a debate with the rest of the USJA about how money should be spent. I think it was a question more of replacing him with someone more money-savy then anything else, as I don't believe any sort of criminal charges were ever levied at him.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:52pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the best of my understanding, which is various judo gossip things, there is no doubt that Sensei Porter is an extremely talented judoka. As I recall (again, judo gossip), at some point it was felt that the main judo governing body was holding rank back from deserving Americans (arguably true), and this was remedied by the formation of another judo governing body, which then perhaps went a bit overboard, leading to charges of rank inflation. (I mean Yamashita is what, a fifth dan?)

While there is no doubt that Sensei Porter is a very talented Judoka, there is some argument over the propriety of his granting of the rank of 10th dan to himself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 5:28pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    Chris Guardian, what is it about him that you find to be worth a "good bullshido investigation"?

Or will this be a rehash and a bunch of posts copied and pasted from other forums that have gone over this all ready?
    He is selling rank.

I know people that went from judo ikkyu to judo rokudan with him within very few years. Something that would take decades or olympic wins using propper channels.

This is the state he left his judo org in before he started USMAA:

=====
    Jim Bregman
    A MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
    November 2001

To: All USJA Supporters:

...We are aware that you may have little confidence in us or our Organization at this moment, but the United States Judo Association is standing at the very edge of complete financial collapse.

We have perhaps two months of operating funds left. We have implemented staff reductions and are in the process of selling the USJA buildings. Until sold however, the mortgage payments are killing us, as is the debt load and the associated interest payments that we have incurred from legal entanglements.

Our revenues are flat or declining. This tells us that you, our members have voted with your pocketbooks and do not believe that we can provide the service that you want....
    =====

No investigation is necessary. Go to judoforum.com and read the threads.

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 6:15pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Paper Mill

Mr.Porter was at one time at the head of the table in martial arts circles. His credentials were outstanding and he was a dedicated master to masters. Something must have happened in the mid 1990's and he literaly turned to the dark side. He must have become cynical, perhaps he had given so much he now wanted monetary return. His current organization is considered a front for a diploma mill. You send the money they sent the rank. It's a pathetic way to be remembered for an individual that was once a role model to thousands.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 6:29pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He did a seminar at my school a long while back. He seems like a nice guy and is a good martial artist. It just seems like he sells diplomas. He offered my instructor a black belt in jui jitsu and a black belt in judo when only spending a few hours at my schools and rolling with my instructor a bit. nice gesture to my instructor, who turned it down, but a bit odd. i think his original intentions were well meant, but turned into something else.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The USMAA is a DISCRACE and Porter, despite his Judo knowledge, is a crazy old man. Associating with the USMAA only hurts a school's rep.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 8:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I don't know anything about this guy, remember that someone who is talented or downright awesome at MA can still be Bullshido. If Chuck Lidell sold BB in MMA we would all consider him Bullshido even though he could kick all our asses.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 8:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Guardian
    Anyone ever look into the United States Martial Arts Association and O'sensei Porter. Their site is www.mararts.org
    I'm a little wary of them.
    What do you all think.

Porter-sensei is fucking awesome. Great Judo-ka, been doing it for 60+ years. If you have a chance to take a seminar with him well worth it.

His org is McDojo-ish, but My JJJ instuctor who trained under him many years ago and still take seminars from him has nothing but good things to say.

Judo skill are very legit.

Edit: Despite that I wouldn't take USMA org rank as legit.
    Last edited by Plasma; 8/23/2008 1:54pm at .

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:29am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alot of the guys in this org are in the "Sokeship Council", thats a statement in itself. Looking at the ranks, a "5th degree " in boxing jumps out. How would you rank boxers? There is also one "Tae Kwon Dance Style" , that seems interesting. Also, the web page layout is a very similar to the Dr. Braff, Dr. Hufford (Dragon Fire Martial Arts) and Bantu org web pages. These guys just move around.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast