Administrator

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 1:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by budokake View Post
    I never said I was investigating Phil. He's not worth the effort. Just sharing a testimonial to his character. By your vernacular I sense alot of hostility. Maybe you should study some martial arts to learn how to deal with your anger.
    Oh do be quiet.

This thread was in the MABS subforum yesterday and was an embarrassment because, it didn't follow the strict rules of the INVESTIGATIVE FORUM.

You just bumped a nearly two year thread to tell someone to calm down.
    The fact you took this as a personal affront, when there are probably 20 other posters in the thread, is interesting.

This thread is a fucking shame.
    Now, where exactly are you specifically named as the investigator.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, phase one.

Phil Porter was outstanding and VERY critical to US Judo. Mr. Porter understood one core truth, IF the US was to become a world power at Judo, they were going to have to do it as Americans, not as Japanese. This was a radical view, and it many cases is the same today.

Judo at the time was ran through the AAU and USJF. To the USJF the ONLY people qualified to teach judo, to tell us about Judo, were the Japanese. Mr. Porter's views that we should not even use the Japanese terms for Judo, let alone their training methods, was not going to sit well.

This difference of opinion was to lead to many qualified people being denied rank and positions in US Judo because they believed Porter was correct. Eventually Phil Porter decided enough was enough and took the AAU and USJF to court to break their grip on US Judo. Mr. Porter won that case, and opened US Judo for everyone.

Now that is the short version. But the simple truth is, Phil was right. The ONLY Countries that have done well at Judo, save Japan, are those who did Judo their way. Russia for example does not do Judo the Japanese way, they do it the Russian way.

Likely we will never know what would have happened if people in the US Judo embraced that simple truth. But that takes us to part two.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 10:45am

Style: judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

You seem angry?

Maybe anti-depressants would help.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 10:56am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe anti-depressants would help.
    You need to shut the **** up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 11:19am

Style: judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sniff... Sniff.. Smell that? Smells like someone is really angry? What or who are you really angry at. Your daddy didnt tell you he loved you?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 11:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sniff... Sniff.. Smell that? Smells like someone is really angry? What or who are you really angry at. Your daddy didnt tell you he loved you?
    Funny, the only anger I saw caused someone to misread a post.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 1:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phase Two:

While Phil "won" it did not mean people liked it. The next problem came along when Judo became an Olympic sport. To avoid yet another lawsuit, USJI was created. Now, most people do not remember this, but USJI was to have EQUAL representation from BOTH JA & JF and ONLY concern itself with the Olympics and the Olympic team.

Over the years that changed as the same people who were running things during the AAU days ended up being elected to USJI. Eventually battle lines were drawn again and the war was on again.

Phil decided he wanted to eliminate all the other groups, but to do that he needed more people and more money. He began by promoting everyone in sight to black belt in Judo. He created a special "karate school" judo program and promoted people to black belt there. Many of these promotions were valid, far too many were not. Eventually, he saw the kind of money groups like Juko-kai were making and he shifted USJA from a Judo group to a martial art group awarding ranks in almost anything, for a fee. It was here he got his 9th dan promotion from USJA in Judo and began calling himself "O sensei."

How money much did he raise? Well, in ONE clinic where he came to my club for ONE day, he got $17,500 in promotion fees out of the members... and damn near ended the club. People were promoted WAY over their skill, and some promotions created competitors to my business that would drag on me to this day.

Finally my Uncle and I sat down with Phil at an Ohio Judo camp and put it on the line. We pointed out that Michigan had a good promotion board in place and it was unacceptable for Phil to be promoting people who went around the board. Phil said he would no longer promote people in Michigan without a board recommendation. Then he went right back to doing it.

Myself, and several other people, finally had enough. We filed formal complaints with the BOD of USJA and with USJI. USJA was given a directive from USJI, either remove Phil or have all USJA ranks invalidated. The board of directors voted to remove Phil Porter from all positions at USJA, and that was the end of the second part.

Note: I have no anger at all, and if someone hadn't ran their mouth I wouldn't be posting this. However, I was there and it is the truth.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    1/10/2012 4:59pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I knew Phil on and off for 50 years. I suppose that most of the time we were friends, but now and then we had words and our conversations were less often. Having grown up in Judo since 1952, as did many friends in those days, we had a lot to relate to and Porter was one of us. He used to visit with mein Miami backin the 1970’s so we would have a clinic or what-not for the troops. That was in the days after we all, the AFJA guys, broke away from the USJF (JBBF) and formed the USJA. Needless to say most of the big time competitors were in our camp, but some of us gave up doing shiai years before and not much kin to getting beat up for fun. Some of us actually worked for a living and could not afford to compete. Anyway, Phil was always hyper and got into trouble with many, including his friends, so we tolerated him to a point.

At the end if 1989 I just got tired of Judo politics, and getting beat up by my students, so walked of the mat and just stopped doing it. Phil came along occasionally to bug me about getting back into Judo, but I refused. After all the years I had just had it with it all. He then promoted me absentia from my old Yodan rank up though Rokudan but I still refused to accept it and never paid him norresponded in kind. You see, rank never did impress me much; those who beat me up did. At least I learned to teach and students learned to beat me up. Some other old friend came along and promoted me again, but I just placate him and that is that. Rank never meant much to me, even though I had worn a black obi since 1961, it just was an ornament that held my Judogi jacket in place. Even old Phil knew my old friends were either some kind of state champs or maybe at times international champs; he never could reconcile my attitude towards Judo ranks.

We spoke on the phone just afew months ago, before he assumed room temperature, and it was a nice pleasant talk. Maybe he was trying to say he was not the only one on the big mat. Phil was a good person. He went astray at times, but one of those who stuck with Judo – even after I did not. So, I have nothing bad to say about old Phil. Those who do mouth off just never knew him very well. That is the way of life, huh?

Old Judo Guy
    Last edited by dustymars; 1/10/2012 5:07pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 12:31am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dustymars View Post
    I knew Phil on and off for 50 years. I suppose that most of the time we were friends, but now and then we had words and our conversations were less often. Having grown up in Judo since 1952, as did many friends in those days, we had a lot to relate to and Porter was one of us. He used to visit with mein Miami backin the 1970’s so we would have a clinic or what-not for the troops. That was in the days after we all, the AFJA guys, broke away from the USJF (JBBF) and formed the USJA. Needless to say most of the big time competitors were in our camp, but some of us gave up doing shiai years before and not much kin to getting beat up for fun. Some of us actually worked for a living and could not afford to compete. Anyway, Phil was always hyper and got into trouble with many, including his friends, so we tolerated him to a point.

At the end if 1989 I just got tired of Judo politics, and getting beat up by my students, so walked of the mat and just stopped doing it. Phil came along occasionally to bug me about getting back into Judo, but I refused. After all the years I had just had it with it all. He then promoted me absentia from my old Yodan rank up though Rokudan but I still refused to accept it and never paid him norresponded in kind. You see, rank never did impress me much; those who beat me up did. At least I learned to teach and students learned to beat me up. Some other old friend came along and promoted me again, but I just placate him and that is that. Rank never meant much to me, even though I had worn a black obi since 1961, it just was an ornament that held my Judogi jacket in place. Even old Phil knew my old friends were either some kind of state champs or maybe at times international champs; he never could reconcile my attitude towards Judo ranks.

We spoke on the phone just afew months ago, before he assumed room temperature, and it was a nice pleasant talk. Maybe he was trying to say he was not the only one on the big mat. Phil was a good person. He went astray at times, but one of those who stuck with Judo – even after I did not. So, I have nothing bad to say about old Phil. Those who do mouth off just never knew him very well. That is the way of life, huh?

Old Judo Guy
    Ain't that the truth.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910