232772 Bullies, 3520 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 71 to 80 of 118
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. MaartenSFS is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Guilin, China
    Posts
    276

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:39pm


     Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to admit.. You got me pretty good there, buckaroo. Well, let's tackle this monster, then:

    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    You're not getting off on the right foot here.

    Mostly what I see is ethnocentrism.

    Explain this comment because it can be taken as a blanket racist statement. I'd like to think that's not what you're saying.

    Do you have a point aside from your hatred of Korea here?
    You're right, I got off on the left.

    I am not a racist and I don't hate Korea... BUT... I hate TKD. And I highly dislike all of the fake things going around in KMA circles. I'll say it like this: I disagree with TKDs existance. But it exists, nonetheless, so I am disgruntled.

    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    So, you are against cultures influencing each other over the course of history?
    Not at all, as long as they admit it and label it as such (Especially when it wasn't all that long ago).

    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    You're welcome to come to my dojang and see if what I practice sucks.
    I'll have to take a rainchecque on that, but from your reputation around here I'll just take your word on it. If you can use it and you know what it is I haven't a problem with that.

    The reason that I got onto this thread is because I think that Oldman is desperate and it's unhealthy. He probably feels that he got into the wrong MA and wasted all of his time, like I did... OR... He can use it to fight and wants to spread "t3h good TKD". Either way, it's delusional. In my humble, non-ethnocentric opinion: If it's good, it's not TKD.

    When I said that I had been there I meant that I had studied TKD (And wasted five years). I think that Oldman's energy would be better used pursuing a new course of study - which is also what I have been doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    The founders were all Korean.
    As I said in a sarcastic way..

    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    I hope you're not trying to impress me.
    The point of that would be what, exactly..? Are you saying that I should care to?

    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    A good and valid criticism of a cultural issue that is actually being addressed especially after Hines Ward won the last Superbowl, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the point of this thread or this forum.

    Learn to stay on topic.

    Also, I know many half-Chinese who have suffered from the same issues.
    I disagree. It is right on topic. If the "breeding grounds" of TKD were polluted to begin with, nothing good could have come out of there. ;)

    And, at least on the Mainland of China, mixed-blood people are thought of as beautiful (Perhaps because they see them as rich?).

    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    How many Korean girls did you poll to come to this conclusion that they want to look hapa?
    Exactly zero. But you can't disagree with the fact that facial reconstruction is more common in Korea. Here in China Korea is actually admired for that (=S) and they have Korean man-made beauty shoppes everywhere. A friend of my wife had a Korean girlfriend and if they kissed too hard her nose would slide off to the side (Or something like that). =P But, of course, this isnot 100% of the lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    You've contributed nothing to this discussion.

    If you have a desire to actually engage in intelligent, intellectual discourse, please do.
    Thank you, I hope you are as pleased with this post as you were the last.

    - Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 2/21/2007 10:44pm at .
  2. glad2bhere is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    288

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:25pm


     Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure where this fits in, but I throw it out for what it is worth.

    Fact is that I have more problems with people here in the States. I was developing a pretty nasty attitude towards Korean emigres as well as a goodly portion of my American countrymen. A huge life-changing experience occurred when I made my first trip to Korea and experienced the people of that country in their own culture. It was the "differnce between night and day" for me. In fact I would go so far to say that the only downside to my trip was bumping into the occasional American ex-pat who would invariably bitch-up a storm about how everything in Korea sucked!

    Now, I won't pretend these folks are perfect, and I bet they have their share of a$$holes just like we do. But the fact is that if they do, I never met them. Everyone I met was gracious, patient with the way I murdered their language and quite often were more accomodating than many Americans I have met.

    As I say, I don't know where and how this fits into the discussion. Just my 2 cents tossed into the kitty.

    Best Wishes,

    Bruce
  3. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:48pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS
    I am not a racist and I don't hate Korea... BUT... I hate TKD.
    Then this is not the forum for you.

    If you want to start a discussion on your issues with Korea, do it in YMAS.

    You must not have read the rules posted. Rather than delete your posts, I allowed you to continue because A) I am not the asshole I pretend to be, and 2) your posts in other threads has been of a relatively decent nature.

    Read the rules, and then decide if you'd like to continue posting in this sub-forum.
  4. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:49pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glad2bhere
    As I say, I don't know where and how this fits into the discussion. Just my 2 cents tossed into the kitty.
    While I love kittens as much as the next person, it doesn't fit into the discussion.
  5. Wolf is offline
    Wolf's Avatar

    T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,540

    Posted On:
    2/22/2007 12:05am

    staff
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS
    If you feel threatened by my blunt suspicions then you are no Bullshidoka. If you disagree, smite me with your awesome knowledge, PLEASE.
    I would hope he's no Bullshidoka. A "Bullshidoka" is someone who propagates bullshido in the martial arts. We, as members of this community, are "Bullies" (used facetiously of course). And if you don't believe me, ask Phrost.
  6. MaartenSFS is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Guilin, China
    Posts
    276

    Posted On:
    2/22/2007 2:46am


     Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Then this is not the forum for you.

    If you want to start a discussion on your issues with Korea, do it in YMAS.

    You must not have read the rules posted. Rather than delete your posts, I allowed you to continue because A) I am not the asshole I pretend to be, and 2) your posts in other threads has been of a relatively decent nature.

    Read the rules, and then decide if you'd like to continue posting in this sub-forum.
    Fair enough. That was my bad. I normally join discussions by finding them using the New Posts search function. I was ignorant of the new sub-forums. About the Korea thing, you'll be hearing about that soon enough..

    - Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker
  7. MaartenSFS is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Guilin, China
    Posts
    276

    Posted On:
    2/22/2007 2:49am


     Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I would hope he's no Bullshidoka. A "Bullshidoka" is someone who propagates bullshido in the martial arts. We, as members of this community, are "Bullies" (used facetiously of course). And if you don't believe me, ask Phrost.
    Errr.. Yes... Didn't think that through very far. And I do believe you. Let's just substitute the erroneous term I used with the correct, althoughbeit politically incorrect term that you just stated.

    - Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker
  8. panthersix is offline
    panthersix's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Click
    Posts
    221

    Posted On:
    2/22/2007 7:34am


     Style: Brawling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=oldman34]It has come up in another thread, what TKD is, or isnt.

    We all have differing views on this, which is why I advocate starting a new style of TKD. Let the traditionalists have there TKD, and those of us who wish to learn more SD oriented TKD have ours.

    Please feel free to define what TKD is to you.

    quote]

    To me its: Poomsae (forms and a shitl0@d of them), ho sun sols (self defense moves), kyorugi (sparring either singles or two on one) and board breaks for belt tests and tournaments. Because this is what's taught at our school (Lee Brothers Franchise) in North Carolina.

    I hate Poomsae and now that I'm a brown belt, I have to know all my Poomsae (10 forms), all the Ho Sun Sols (50 SD moves to be used in two on one sparring), a physical endurance test (lots of PT) and break a masonary tile. Those are our requirements for BB (I can't rember which Dan, but it's not really a BB because you don't get registered at the Kukiwon until you're a 2nd degree BB).

    My wife and kids (16, 14, 10) are all in it with me or I'd have quit a long time ago because of the freakin forms. They all know their BB requirements because they live at the Dojang and teach the lower belts. I'm a slacker and just show and fart around with the forms and go thru the motions a couple of times a week.

    It is what it is and I could be making much more if it if I was motivated and dedicated. The opportunity is there, I just don't practice like I should (at least 6 days a week).



  9. glad2bhere is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    288

    Posted On:
    2/22/2007 8:40am


     Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a small side note:

    It would be a real help if folks would cite their sources instead of relying on generalizations. I understand this isn't a presidential debate, but making sweeping statements about the nature of, say, TKD isn't helping us with the dicussion. For instance, there actually is not any documented evidence that TKD was about self-defense from its inception. My understanding was that the late General CHOI Hong Hi advocated for more study of Hapkido and Judo among the practitioners of the art he established in order to bolster the self-defense side of the art.

    As far as the comment about buying into the "hatred" among Pacific Rim countries I can report that there continue to be huge segments of the populations of China, Korea and Japan as well as other nations farther south who have unresolved conflicts with their neighbors over injuries both real and imagined. In addition, many of the major martial arts communities of these countries have close ties with conservative and or military elements within the culture. I would submit that these groups are predisposed towards maintaining and promoting antagonism between cultures and ought not be used as a measuring stick for the entire culture. Thoughts?

    Best Wishes,

    Bruce
  10. MaartenSFS is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Guilin, China
    Posts
    276

    Posted On:
    2/22/2007 8:43am


     Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    Maarten suffers from the common affliction of believing that history began when he first set foot on the world stage. Somewhere between Japanese karate and the "useless flashy 1000 year old kicks" was a critical stage where the Koreans developed more powerful techniques based upon superior body mechanics.

    Ironically, you now see those theories of power being applied in other martial arts more than in what is now currently perceived to be Tae Kwon Do.

    Maarten, I also had a Mainland wife and spent a great deal of time there as well. It is easy to be seduced by their culture, but don't fall for their hatred. Their hatred is based upon a very low national self-esteem. They have a dismal history considering they have the most populous nation in the world and sat by in confusion as much smaller places like South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, et al., zipped past them.

    They always believed that if they had one powerful central government, instead of conflicting warlords and armies, they could become a world power. They finally got that in the late 1940s after hundreds of years of efforts. And when they finally got what they always wanted it turned out to be the greatest human catostrophe in the history of mankind.

    Yes, they are finally turning it all around now, but the Mainland Chinese know their own history. They are a jealous and bitter people. Don't let their ignorance infect you.
    Whoah there... You are confusing me with someone that loves China. China has 1.3 billion problems... er people.. I can't reply very long here, but wait until tomorrow... Just wait... And about the first paragraph; I'll just ignore that.

    - Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.