Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:16am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS
    My problem with it is here ^. And my point is that it was never respectable. So many things in Korea are fake. They bought Dragon Boat Festival from China, copied Karate and added useless flashy kicks and said it was a thousand year olde KMA, and let's not even talk about their noses and other body parts. Not that China is any better, but this fake **** is all but respectable. And don't forget that I was there at one point. But I saw a tunnel of light to a better place and went there.

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

P.S. I think that THE WORST TKD is right here in China. I have never seen it sink lower. Most of the teachers are 18-20 year olde and have 1 Dan. In the Sandaguan where I train we quietly [and politely] snicker when they practise. It's too pathetic.
    Seriously, can we get this cockmonkey fuckhole out of here.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as what IS Tae Kwon Do? I never saw the point in trying to deliniate it from anything. I see the need for that as a way for people to find a school for it. But for myself as a fighter, what I know is what I know and the name for it is largely irrelevant. When I'm sparring I don't have to shift gears and say to myself "Ok, now I'm going to use Tae Kwon Do." I just do what I know.

Addtionally, I've read plenty of other people's view on what is TKD and what is not. What defines TKD and what does. And they are all lacking.

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, can we get this cockmonkey fuckhole out of here.
    Hey, he's only a English teacher in his early 20's with a some taste about picking chicks.

From http://www.asianavenue.com/gateway/d...ser_id=1108102 to http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/MaartenSFS/1.jpg i think he has advanced a lot.

Seriously Mr. Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker, if you don't have more to contribute to this thread than your understandable sinophilia (and that doesn't authorize you to post racist comments about korean, or any other, people) you should refrain from posting.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh good lord....

Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS's Profile
    "How would you describe your personality?

Funny (At least I think so), traditional, polite, crazy, intelectual, emotional, et cetera."
    The irony is not lost here.
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 2/13/2007 9:49am at .

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 10:02am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    What the hell is this? What sort of chauvinistic **** is this?
    I think the term you're looking for is racist (chauvenistic has to do with gender issues).

As for our MSFS, you have no idea about pretty much anything do you. YES TKD did have some respectability in the past. Ask DerAuslander about it. Of course you may not like what he has to say because it's knowledgeable and full of supporting evidence as opposed to skewed racist views.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 10:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    I understand what you're saying because fighting is ideally instinctual reactions. But I think once you've executed a technique, like a roundhouse kick say, you'll know in your mind whether you've thrown a karate, TKD, or muay thai roundhouse. The fact that you didn't actively flip through a mental file cabinet in your head prior to throwing it does not change what you've thrown.

I see very clear distinctions between them having trained in all three styles mentioned. Usually whichever one I've selected depends on what I plan on doing afterwards as a follow up.

Except mine of course. :icon_bigg
    On the contrary, once I've thrown a kick all I think about is whether it landed and how to make it better. See, I don't train to throw a "TKD roundhouse kick" or a "Muay Thai roundhouse kick". I train to throw a roundhouse kick that is effective, period. There IS in a fact the most effective way to throw a technique. And forcing a stylistic distinction on a subpar technique is useless. You should use techniques that achieve desired effects not ones that are from a style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 10:08am

Style: Krav Maga & MACS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my uneducated opinion TKD is a good stepping stone. I learned balance and how to throw a crap load of kicks. But we had light sparring only, I didn't know what it even felt like to use some of the kicks until my brother made me mad. Then, by the way, I broke my foot because I didn't know how hard was too hard to throw the kick for my foot (not being conditioned). It wasn't until I took some other MAs that I sparred hard and got used to the impacts. Then, however, my TKD kicks were awesome.

I have read what you are trying to do with TKD. I think you are on to something, I also think that you have a tough road ahead of you.

By the way, I don't really care where TKD comes from. It makes no difference to me. Korea, China, Australia, whatever.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 10:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    I'm not disagreeing with that. But when you say "effective" roundhouse kick though, what do you mean? A one-kick knockout? A setup for punches follow? A kick to the leg? A kick to set up kicks to follow?

Maybe its just me, but I see the different roundhouses having varying levels of effectiveness for the uses intended. In my case I also see it further complicated by the range I'm fighting at.
    There is most certainly different roundhouses, a few variables involved that can be changed. But I don't prescribe each different roundhouse to a different style.

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 1:46pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

you thought you were gonna sound so smart...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    (chauvenistic has to do with gender issues).

Actually, it really means zealous and beligerent national pride, or prejudiced devotion to any attitude or cause. (don't spend so much time reading feminist literature)
    Last edited by wakinonioi; 2/13/2007 2:40pm at .
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 2:25pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    Actually, it really means zealous and beligerent national pride, or prejudiced devotion to any attitude or cause. (don't spend so much time reading feminist literature)
    chau·vin·ism [shoh-vuh-niz-uhm]
    –noun
    1. zealous and aggressive patriotism or blind enthusiasm for military glory.
    2. biased devotion to any group, attitude, or cause

Damn, I guess I stand corrected. It must have been the summer I spent being brainwashed by a radical feminist militia.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast