Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 7:27pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS

If anyone wants to develop or learn a more SD/fighting oriented TKD, go for it. Evolution in Martial Arts is a good thing, imo. But, in any case, at the moment one departs from "the way of punching and kicking" and starts "the way of punching, kicking and flying reverse omoplata" i think is the moment of changing the art's name.

Nope, no grappling in it. I am a firm advocate of crosstraining. If someone wants to learn to grapple EFFECTIVELY, then they need to take BJJ/Judo. Otherwise it would be crappling.

I would like to change it to give someone a stand up fighting style, that may actually work.

To me, TKD is an explosive standup style. It requires great felxibility, and balance.
    I enjoy TKD, however, it is lacking in the SD dept.

(Self Defense)

There is another thread in this forum called "TKD...changes?" Please feel free to stop by and drop some pennies (2 to be precise).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 7:39pm

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem with this is that there are other styles with long and for the most part unfabricated histories that work well already. Why not just give it up and JOIN USSS...? Or are you a Nationalistic Korean, Korean descendant that has something to prove, or something else of this vein? If you want to learn how to kick arse, is the name of your style really so important?

And I don't want to go into detail about what I "learned" and have seen. Let's just say that I'm finished with TKD and hold somewhat of a grudge against it for wasting my time when I could have taken anything else (Except Ninjutsu).

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS
    My problem with this is that there are other styles with long and for the most part unfabricated histories that work well already. Why not just give it up and JOIN USSS...? Or are you a Nationalistic Korean, Korean descendant that has something to prove, or something else of this vein? If you want to learn how to kick arse, is the name of your style really so important?

And I don't want to go into detail about what I "learned" and have seen. Let's just say that I'm finished with TKD and hold somewhat of a grudge against it for wasting my time when I could have taken anything else (Except Ninjutsu).

So you're just here to bitch and complain? Wonderful, that's EXACTLY what this forum was made for.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 12:48am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

People have their reasons, and if they want to take their chosen art and work to get it back to it's former respectability then they should be applauded for it. In fact the point of this forum IS to discuss issues in the "TMA's" and what needs to be done to make said "TMA's" more respectable. If you don't have anything to contribute to such a discussion other than to say quit doing TKD you should probably just visit another forum.

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 1:29am

Style: unknown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool for sport though.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 2:31am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD is mostly crap but I have my guys learn it anyway to learn different ways of throwing a kick. Now the TKD that I learned was both ITF and WTF but I only respected the ITF stuff as they went hard every once in awhile. I always got some complacent WTF guy coming into my gym and they would force me to punch them in the face when they got to cocky. They would get complacent by not putting up their hand just because I was matching their foot work. My gym my rules I kept telling them. If they wanted to do pure WTF that was fine but they would always tell me that they could match me even if I wanted to do international rules kickboxing. God I'm glad I don't advertise that **** anymore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 4:30am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    People have their reasons, and if they want to take their chosen art and work to get it back to it's former respectability then they should be applauded for it. In fact the point of this forum IS to discuss issues in the "TMA's" and what needs to be done to make said "TMA's" more respectable. If you don't have anything to contribute to such a discussion other than to say quit doing TKD you should probably just visit another forum.
    My problem with it is here ^. And my point is that it was never respectable. So many things in Korea are fake. They bought Dragon Boat Festival from China, copied Karate and added useless flashy kicks and said it was a thousand year olde KMA, and let's not even talk about their noses and other body parts. Not that China is any better, but this fake **** is all but respectable. And don't forget that I was there at one point. But I saw a tunnel of light to a better place and went there.

P.S. I think that THE WORST TKD is right here in China. I have never seen it sink lower. Most of the teachers are 18-20 year olde and have 1 Dan. In the Sandaguan where I train we quietly [and politely] snicker when they practise. It's too pathetic.
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 2/13/2007 4:35am at .

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 5:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...and let's not even talk about their noses and other body parts.
    About korean people "body parts" i hope DerAuslander come soon and starts posting korean chicks pics.

This could be the only way to save this thread.

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 6:12am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem with it is here ^. And my point is that it was never respectable. So many things in Korea are fake. They bought Dragon Boat Festival from China, copied Karate and added useless flashy kicks and said it was a thousand year olde KMA, and let's not even talk about their noses and other body parts.

Not real fond of Korea, are ya?
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem with it is here ^. And my point is that it was never respectable. So many things in Korea are fake. They bought Dragon Boat Festival from China, copied Karate and added useless flashy kicks and said it was a thousand year olde KMA, and let's not even talk about their noses and other body parts.
    What the hell is this? What sort of chauvinistic **** is this?

Anyways, putting that aside, my understanding of these threads was that people were to discuss how to improve X or Y art. Now, if someone dissagrees, he can do so in technical, objective terms. Flaming and **** were supposed to be somewhere else, YMAS per instance.

Anything resembling the highlited parts above are better suited in YMAS... or in websites such as http://aryan-nations.org. This was supposed to be a technical discussion on TKD. I fail to see what such a topic has anything to do with a race's noses and body parts, or about the supposedly lack of originality in an entire culture.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/13/2007 9:13am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast