233179 Bullies, 3288 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 2:34pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    Well, go tell him then!

Anyway, who was it that said that?
    Some mod that quoted him/herself in his/its signature. Think the name started with "A".

I'm pretty sure I tried to register there once and never got an approval/confirmation message.

Well hell, is there any forum with "Kungfu" "Karate" or "WhateverDo" in its name that doesn't address things other than TMA anymore?
    Well it's one thing to have a subforum to discuss it. It's something completely different to prominently feature something out of the norm for what you describe your community as being about. So there's a motive behind it that interests me.

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 3:01pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Well it's one thing to have a subforum to discuss it. It's something completely different to prominently feature something out of the norm for what you describe your community as being about. So there's a motive behind it that interests me.

What motive do you suspect?

I would think you'd encourage taking a wider view. Isn't isolation and a narrow focus one of the things that contributes to LARPing?
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And that ****'s just inexcusable. Yes, that's LARPing if you are spending a significant portion of your time learning punches and kicks (which are for offense only) and then claim you're training just for defense as a way to avoid having to prove anything.
    Is a kick offensive if I use it to knock the uzi from your hand ? Is a hand-strike offensive if I just use it to chop the baseball bat you're menacing my bonsai collection with clean in half

No phrost-san. They are not.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

not offensive, not defensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Is a kick offensive if I use it to knock the uzi from your hand ?

LOL, I think that makes it suicidal.

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 3:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    What motive do you suspect?

I would think you'd encourage taking a wider view. Isn't isolation and a narrow focus one of the things that contributes to LARPing?
    Well I do. I guess, being perfectly honest, it irks me to see "people" who fought tooth and nail against an idea, finally come around to accept it only because it's beaten them over the head and they don't have any choice.

Kind of like how I'd resent Duane Gish if he finally came around and admitted dinosaurs and people didn't walk around together. Or how the Germans finally got the idea that it was pretty awful to try and wipe out a whole race of people after millions of soldiers died invading their country to depose their leaders.

It's not enough to embrace something after years of railing against it; if you've finally managed to pull your head out of your ass, it's still going to stink for a while.

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 3:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

some folks just can't take 'yes' for an answer

Well I do. I guess, being perfectly honest, it irks me to see "people" who fought tooth and nail against an idea, finally come around to accept it only because it's beaten them over the head and they don't have any choice.

It's not enough to embrace something after years of railing against it; if you've finally managed to pull your head out of your ass, it's still going to stink for a while.

LOL! That's a mighty high horse you've got there. So, even those who've 'seen the light' are due your disdain? For how long? Is there some time frame or schedule involved?

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. 4-6 months after everyone who considers themselves a Martial Artist and who has only recently started jocking MMA, actually tosses on some 4oz gloves and throws down under those rules themselves.

Give or take a few days.

If everyone on, let's say, AikidoParadise.frt started doing interviews with MMA fighters but still continued to restrict themselves to playing fancy-pants-grabass only in their training, they'd deserve perpetual disdain simply for being hypocrites.

MMA is not the NFL. Yes, 99% of people who train under the methodology will never see anything like the UFC other than on PayPerView, but just about everyone can test their skills under that ruleset. And if you don't want to test your skills, and still want to be considered a Martial Artist, then you need to stop trying to blur the line between being a fan of the sport, and the LARPing you do in between events.

Everyone who considers themselves a "Martial Artist" should spar under MMA rules occasionally (at worst). Otherwise, what you're doing is just an exercise in ego masturbation and illusion; you have no idea whether or not all that time spent learning punching/kicking/etc is worth a damn or if you could actually hit someone when the time came to do it.

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 11:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. 4-6 months after everyone who considers themselves a Martial Artist and who has only recently started jocking MMA, .

So, until you're satisfied they're just "jocking MMA"? And where did you come up with that number?

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 11:56am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't bothered to visit the site yet, but I'm going to agree that it's annoying when a group that is vehemently opposed to (and condescending toward) something suddenly turns around and embraces it once it becomes clear they are wrong, IF they act as though they never thought it was bad in the first place; i.e. they don't acknowledge their shift in attitude.

I hardly expect people to draw attention to their changing their minds, but if a site spouts the usual "MMA is for murdering babies, our style is not about that, even though our training is for the same moves just a lot worse. Our style, though it still includes punches and kicks and ****, is meant to be used only to stop the mafia from taking over space stations, and for preventing muggings using Chi blasts etc."

Still, we should at least celebrate the implicit admission that goes with featuring an interview from Matt Hughes in a positive light. Now it's just a matter of time...
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was being facetious about the timetable thing. I'm trying to take the piss out of myself here because I realize I'm coming off as a complete prick.

By "jocking" I mean that they're doing the equivalent of standing next to a cool car in the parking lot that's not theirs, trying to get attention for it. It'd be kind of like us running an article on the benefits of "chi" when we've spent a huge portion of our time debunking the notion of it being something para/super-natural, in order to bring more chi-believers in to the forum or at least have them start thinking of us as a player in the "chi" industry.

Hope that makes sense more. Again, I realize I'm being a prick here and I'm sure DL has several people with their heads screwed on correctly now. It's just my recollection that in the past, the bulk of them didn't and they were yet another forum on the net for people to come together in support group fashion in order to piss and moan about "MMA people" as if all MA people didn't have the opportunity to be "MMA people". Which is as asinine as people who train to play Soccer, dividing themselves into a group of people who run drills and practice their kicks, and those who actually play the game against other teams.

But yeah, I'm a prick.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast