Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 9:24am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krood1
    So, from what I am getting here from those that use is Iron Palm does condition hands and the question is does its effect have significant value in a fight.
    If the hand is conditioned, one can infer that it does have significant value in a fight.

The hand will be tougher.

The question is, is iron palm any better than hitting a heavy bag? Having done both,

I think there might be a difference, but I have no way to describe it. The best I can describe it is this: I feel the conditioning penetrating deeper during iron palm, leaving less unconditioned. Of course, this is just more introspection, but I think others may have experienced the same thing.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/04/2008 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krood1
    So, from what I am getting here from those that use is Iron Palm does condition hands and the question is does its effect have significant value in a fight.
    That depends on how you fight. If you fight with gloves, or sticks, or guns, or pure grappling, then not that much.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know if this would make sense but there it goes...

During Civil War in Spain you could find, among the communists, two ways of rising "fists in high" (traditional red salutation). Those students, writers and intellectuals who could close their fist completely, and those others that could not. The second group was of those workers that had developed such callosities in their hands that could not fist them.

In my personal experience, out of Martial Arts, I worked in construction during College and saw guys with such developed hands that, let me say, looked like weapons to me, (especially on those who mixed concrete powder and water).

So, finally, my opinion is that Iron Palm can be developed at a cost, like said above, of sensitivity and agility... and i needed my fingers to type all this so i will not start my Iron Palm training today

blotter art.

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 10:57pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like most of the people in this thread, I didn't really understand what I was looking at. So I googled Iron shirt and found this:

"Practitioners believe that directing energy to parts of the body can reinforce these parts of the body to take blows against them."

So is this like that systema stuf where they like "turn with" the punch?

IFF, was the video with the spears meant to show bullshit? Because it looked pretty impressive to me. Am I missing something?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 11:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Practitioners believe that directing energy to parts of the body can reinforce these parts of the body to take blows against them."
    Some people do I don't. It is a form of conditioning IMO. It is an ancient way of conditioning your body to take blows.

So is this like that systema stuf where they like "turn with" the punch?
    No.

IFF, was the video with the spears meant to show bullshit? Because it looked pretty impressive to me. Am I missing something?
    Yes. Think really hard. If that so called Iron Body was legit, why does he spend so much time lining up the points?

It shouldn't matter. All three of those videos IMO represent the BS that has been associated with Iron Body/Iron Palm and Qigong training.

Spear ticks:

Just like illusions it does take skill and you can get hurt. Then again the implication, use in fighting, is not a transferable.

Here:
    YouTube - Mind Body & Kick Ass Moves Vagabond Stunts Sharp Swords

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 1:28am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The spear pressure thing works on the same principle as the Bed of Nails. Properly distributed weight across the points prevents penetration.

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 1:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    The spear pressure thing works on the same principle as the Bed of Nails. Properly distributed weight across the points prevents penetration.
    It is also a matter of where exactly the spear-points are facing. If you have one of those small, thin-bladed, sharp-ended saws campers sometimes pack for cutting kindling, just but it between your palms, handle in one palm and point in the other. Press in and bend your hands down, curving the blade. The sharp end is now pointing at an oblique angle instead of a perpendicular 90 degrees inwards toward your palm. The harder you press and the more you bend the blade, the farther away from that 90 degrees into your hand the point will be, and the less the potential penetration straight into your hand by that point.

When you get the blade bent to a half-circle, the sharp end is now pointing alongside your skin and not into it at all. The potential penetrating force has been redirected by the bending of the blade. Don't bend that blade too far: a parlour trick--based on simple physics and nothing more--is a poor reason to snap a perfectly-good blade.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 3:00pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So anone could do that with thier neck? There is no conditioning involved?

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 3:20pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    Depends on which spear trick you're talking about - for the one where the demonstrator rests on several spear points, yes. For the one where they bend/break the spear on the suprasternal fossa, no.

The important thing there is to make sure you're not pressing straight down the length of the shaft, because it won't compress at all. In the first viddy, where he's looking down at the floor, that's to bend the spears and make them arch.

The transaction isn't entirely risk free - accidents, when they happen, involve a pointy-thing under pressure, pointing directly at your windpipe. Back when I did CMA, my job during demos was to press on my sifu's back so that he wouldn't be pushed back by the spear (he being a little guy, and the white wax wood the spear is made of is very springy). One time he was using a spear that just would not break. By the time he realized it wasn't going to go, he was past the point of no return - he couldn't push forward any farther, and backing off would mean the spear would fire off unpredictably.

In the end, it shot out sideways, giving him a scar from the base of his neck to the edge of his shoulder.

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 3:36pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to give you some perspective regarding the spear technique;

My mom loves to go to motivational seminars. She's like obsessed with them. At the most recent one she went to they had them perform a 'breakthough' excercise at the end, which consisted of them all lining up and breaking an arrow with their neck, similiar to what's showin in the spear video.

If old ladies can do it, it can't be too tough.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.