Posted On:
    10/26/2007 2:53pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcell
    Back online at last.

Hi Dale,
    I appreciate the time your taking to answer my questions, any vids of how you work your stuff will be welcome.

That's an entry to a throw, it is not a repeated crossing of the feet.

The Dog Bros only seen some of their stuff and the only weapons I've played around with were Sabre & Epee the guys in the vid didn't have weapons, is it footwork for a weapon based attack/defence?

The whole point of my post was I don't understand, please explain, maybe I didn't make that clear?

Because I don't understand how this system applies it's stuff, I don't understand how the techniques in the videos apply to the training or fighting use of this art.

To me putting your feet close to each other means, lack of balance,lack of mobility no solid platform to attack defend from, vulnerable to takedowns. That's because the bulk of my training has been with boxing style footwork or moving in base.

Do you use this footwork structure when you spar?
    If so can you post a vid? I think seeing how you apply it would help me understand?

Or am I missing the point is it just a development tool such as shrimping?

I found this other link Bagua vs Xing Yi Sparring # 1 You can't always see the feet but is this a fair representation of the footwork being applied?
    Dog Brothers footwork is FMA footwork. Triangular stepping.

a different category from "Circular" or "Linear" footwork which as is typically categorized in CMA.

Simplified explanations of the basics of FMA footwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jse6aKkehC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgqG4Vs_K44

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 2:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Xingyi, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Triangular footwork is in almost all culture's arts though. I wouldn't claim them to be particularly CMA, FMA, Indonesian, whatever. Also, the debate is over cross-stepping, which is like almost anything else in a fight; good if you know how to use it. I think the Dog Brothers were brought up because they're pretty well respected fighters, and usually are willing to test their skills against a wide variety of people. Also, I think the discussion is over, so you might want to start a new thread if you want to talk about this in particular.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 10:29pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Iron Palm training...Real?

Is there ANY benefit to hitting an Iron Palm Bag? Does it really condition your hands or is that all nonsense? If it is a benefit can you explain the best way to use and list benefits?

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 10:33pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you should waste your time finding out, bro. While palms are spoken of very highly by some and can be put to great use, proper technique and equipment with regular fist-punching will largely protect your hands enough so you can still use them for non-fighting pursuits whilst still making you an effective fighter. I lost interest in Kung Fu style conditioning when I quit kung fu, so maybe I'm jaded, but I wouldn't bother.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 10:45pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's worth it in my opinion, if you have the time and the guts to do it. As long as you have some tiger balm, or some iron palm medicine it's a good thing to have. If you wonder what Iron palms about here's the science behind it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff's_law

Iron palm/ Iron hand is extreamly useful for fighting, because your turning your hand into a brick wrapped in steak. The biggest thing in any iron bone training is it makes it harder to break bones that have been conditioned.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/24/2008 11:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is NO SCIENCE behind Iron Palm. There is no proof that Iron Palm works.

There is anecdotal evidence produced by people who believe it works. Many people say they have forged hands yet, they never produce the before and after X-rays.

That said I did IP for quite awhile it works. Although, hitting a heavy bag also works. Wiki is full of **** when it comes to most Martial art articles, please site another source.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 12:06am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 2:15am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously certain unorthodox conditioning can be used to great 'self improvement' effect. I'd imagine you need to do a lot of practice with breaks to build up strong enough bones to pull them off.

Whether or not this makes you inherently stronger, tougher, or a better fighter, or even less susceptible to damage to your soft tissue (which I imagine you would be risking by hitting things with your palms), is questionable.

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 7:02am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, but do you lose sensitivity in the nervous system that informs the hands and the sense of touch? Not much point in doing Iron Palm is you lose the ability to tie your shoelaces etc.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 9:30am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    Hmm, but do you lose sensitivity in the nervous system that informs the hands and the sense of touch? Not much point in doing Iron Palm is you lose the ability to tie your shoelaces etc.
    Only if you do it improperly, but there's always the chance something will go wrong.
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 17181920 ... LastLast