Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    What long term insulation does the iron palm provide to prevent injury? Or are you talking short term?
    tapping the bag of metal shot over a period of years helps to thicken the fascial covering of the hand. The bones also will thicken in density as well. This is a SLOW process that takes 3-5 years to set the foundation that can last your lifetime.

Most people rush through it and cause damage to themselves.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 12:16pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been doing it to do those breaks?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 12:34pm

Style: Retard Poster Jitsu (BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas
    What in gods name do you mean by the crossing the feet?

My Kung Fu Brothers Bob Maio(in black) and Mike Brobowski(in white) are walking in a circle and then using what is called a single palm change to not lose momentum as they turn around.

Its a baguazhang method of turning. They are not crossing the feet, and wonder where you are seeing this. They are bringing one foot up close to the other foot and then changing directions. This is taught to change your angle when someone is coming at you and you want to enter in to throw, strike or hit them.

And what is your background? How long have you been studying and have you ever had use it for real?

I will try and get some more vids up this week with a big friend of mine. Ill try not to tuck my shirt in less I upset that little mouthboxer who thinks he has a clue.

be well, train hard
    Took a while to get back to you my computer went pear shaped.

By crossing the feet i don't mean a cross step, I mean the whole walking thing, I allways thought that having your feet near each other was a bad thing.
    I think part of the problem is I don't understand how you incorporate such training into your combat. The structure your friends have in the circle walking looks to my eyes to not be able to deliver any power or be able to defend that well. Like I said what am I missing?

Background, not a lot of experience some FS KF about 20 odd years ago, kickboxing, boxing (no comps not good enough), more FS KF, RBSD, smidgen of MMA & Judo am currently a Blue in BJJ.
    Haven't had a proper fight in years, wouldn't really say I used my 'training' in any of those.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 12:58pm

Style: Retard Poster Jitsu (BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dale

Just tried to PM you my comp crashed again.

I wont be on the net until at least the weekend, so wont be able to view or reply to any of your posts.
    I am interested in your explanations, it may take me a while to get my head around them,small words only!

Cheers
    Jez

(If you can read this my comp didn't crash)

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 2:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcell
    Took a while to get back to you my computer went pear shaped.

By crossing the feet i don't mean a cross step, I mean the whole walking thing, I allways thought that having your feet near each other was a bad thing.
    I think part of the problem is I don't understand how you incorporate such training into your combat. The structure your friends have in the circle walking looks to my eyes to not be able to deliver any power or be able to defend that well. Like I said what am I missing?
    Near as in what?

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 3:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bagua training likes to have the feet close to together. From what I understand and use I like having my feet close together as if you push me I can recover faster. I do not like long stances where you are bounding around or having too much lag time in the air. i.e. you take a long step and it takes twice as long to get that leg on the ground versus a shorter step.

Now of course this is strange to most people.

Ill try and get some more vids up soon to illustrate why I like it.

Be well, train hard

P.S. be careful of having your legs to far apart as someone then can kick em out or use it to their adavantage....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 3:59pm

Style: ex-KF, now Judoka + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIkiseBCH_4

Tcell, watch this BJJ/Kosen Judo video. At 00:36 there's a whole lotta feet close together and crossing. Does that make it bad, wrong, or ineffective? I don't know Mr. Dugas from Adam, but making a snap judgement from a position of ignorance is a great way to look stupid. I know its hard for some people to understand, but it there are other ways to effectively use footwork than what is seen in the average McMMA gym.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 4:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LowwerWay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIkiseBCH_4

Tcell, watch this BJJ/Kosen Judo video. At 00:36 there's a whole lotta feet close together and crossing. Does that make it bad, wrong, or ineffective? I don't know Mr. Dugas from Adam, but making a snap judgement from a position of ignorance is a great way to look stupid. I know its hard for some people to understand, but it there are other ways to effectively use footwork than what is seen in the average McMMA gym.
    That's what I want him to explain. I'm looking at the footwork and trying to figure out what video he is complaining about.

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 4:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    How long have you been doing it to do those breaks?
    These are granit chip aggregate bricks. They are harder than normal concrete. I will get some normal concrete sometime soon and break em to show the difference.

I have been training my hands for over 15 years. I have no calluses or trembling or any problems other than my right hand is slightly larger than my left.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short stances and "cross steps" are seen in Dog Brothers fights as well. With weapons you need mobility and the ability to move your front leg out of harms way if attacked.
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast