Sponsored Links Spacer Image

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 10:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How many of you train using olympic style/powerlifting exercises?

Just curious. I recently started with powerlifts (snatch, jerk, powerclean, etc), and I've noticed huge gains in my overall strength (as well as being sore like I've never been before). Only problem is that most gyms don't allow powerlifting exercises for safety reasons.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought powerlifting exercises were the big 3 (Bench, Squat Deadlift) and from there you could call maybe a couple of partials and some minor isolation work powerlifting, whereas what you mentioned was called "olympic".

But to get back on topic; I know the value of them, but without training I just stick to powerlifting in the sense that I mentioned along with some other heavy compounds (dips, overhead presses, pull-ups, etc).
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 3:07am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train your muscles to work together, and your muscles will work together. Hai, Grasshopper?

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 3:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Powerlifting I think is about speed and using your whole body in addition to muscle.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Olympic ifting is snatch and the clean and jerk. So training cleans, jerks, snatch are all part of Olympic lifting.

Most people use the "power" version of these like "powercleans" and even "power snatches" as they give the same benefit but are a little easier to learn. This type of lifting is about speedstrength, explosive and fast.

The mis-named power lifting is about absolute or limit strength(not power), you lift as much as you can in the squat, deadlift, and bench.

In answer to your question I use the power lifting mentality (compound exercises and heavy lifting mostly, but there is a bit more to it). I made my goals in the big 3 a 495 dead, 405 squat, and 315 bench. Thats a1215 total which is pretty decent ayt 170lbs.

Now that I am nearing those goals for my limit strength I am rotating in olympic work like powercleans and jerks. My goals are now to get a 275 and eventually a 315 powerclean and jerk. Again not bad stats in my weight class.

I limit my goals in these to what I think are very good(but not excellent) numbers as my ultimate goal is not powerlifting or weightlifting, but I can use them to develop my MA ability. After these goals are met I can focus on mantaining these lifts and concentrate more on cardio, bodyweight exercises, and grip strength. Reason being after you hit a certain strength level the law of diminshing returns kicks in.

A 1215 total will help a lot I believe in MA. Once I get that I could aim for a 1500 total, but that extra limit strength won't help me as much as working on my cardio or plyometrics can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 5:39am

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    Just curious. I recently started with powerlifts (snatch, jerk, powerclean, etc), and I've noticed huge gains in my overall strength (as well as being sore like I've never been before). Only problem is that most gyms don't allow powerlifting exercises for safety reasons.
    I always work the big three into all of my lifting programs, and have almost never worked any of the jerks, cleans or snatches because most gyms disallow it, as you said.

I don't know your living arrangements, but an option may be a 400lb. olympic weight set and mats ( ~ $200). I personally don't have the indoor space, so I'll save on the mat and take it outside soon after the spring thaw.

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:33pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    Only problem is that most gyms don't allow powerlifting exercises for safety reasons.
    Which is precisely why I bought a used Olympic set (w/ 500 lbs. of weight) and I now lift at home.

Friggin' pencil necked, chicken legged fratboys....grumble, grumble...
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could someone verse me on the difference between a clean and a powerclean/other power olympic movements? If it's possible to execute them without serious olympic training, I'd be very intersted.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It makse me grapple harrder cuz my body learns to work together.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 12:09am

Style: Boxing, Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Could someone verse me on the difference between a clean and a powerclean/other power olympic movements? If it's possible to execute them without serious olympic training, I'd be very intersted.
    As I understand it, in a clean you pull the weight up and go into a front squat. In a power clean you pull the bar straight up onto your shoulders with minimal bend in the legs.

Trying there lifts without training sounds like a bad idea to me, though if you're daring you might try learning this stuff from books.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast