Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    The 300 man kumite is possible, and it doesn't have to be tappy tap point sparring to be done. Remember the whole 'one punch-one kill' idea? Well, Ippon Kumite works just like that. If Oyama decided to fight a hundred guys, and he was only looking for one really good shot on each, then it's entirely possible. One full contact shot to the head, or selected parts of the chest would be all that he was looking for.
    'Ippon' in Kyokushin means you knocked the guy down and he couldn't get up. They call it Jissen Kumite. T'aint like Shotokan.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    'Ippon' in Kyokushin means you knocked the guy down and he couldn't get up. They call it Jissen Kumite. T'aint like Shotokan.
    Pardon my terminology error. I think the point is that it can be hard contact, and still be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 8:47am

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was probably both. Oyama knew his new style would need credibility. That is why he did many of the things he was credited with. And his organization grew exponentially because of them.
    I agree completely with this. See I was not saying that the 300 man sparring was not real, I was saying it "MAY" have been hyped up more that it was. I mean if you leave it as " I did a 300 man training program" and leave it, you sound like a god, if you say" I sparred in two minute matches 300 times in a two- three day period" you sound like you have skills, but not like a God. hell any guy in good shape could sparr with 300 guys over a two day period, granted they probably would not win as much as Oyama probably did! the rest of his claims seem to be mostly Hyped up publicity stunds, which by the way worked so more power to him, I just want to keep it real! the bull, the bench press work out and the crazy training were all great marketing ideas that payed off big time for him. I am just saying, after having seen the tape of him and the half dead bull....Maybe more hype than substance here folks, but not Fake!

See, I thought you were only relating a third hand story. Shotokan peers of Oyama were understandably upset with him for his break, and then to actually be SUCCESSFUL implementing a hard, contact ethic to their style, well, that was a slap in the face. It makes sense that they would not be fond of him, even several years later. If you are actually curious about his recognized rank, you could ask the JKA. They have records that date back that far.
    Now, for the record, I have heard this story of his "rank" twice from JKA seniors and read it once in a magazine. So, as I said before...It IS not my story I am passing it along....and like I said on one of those occasions were my Senior was telling the story, he was not expressing any anger or resentment towards Oyama, In fact he was actually saying how much he liked the Sabaki and how the Kyokushin guys were tough. Granted their is alwasy a "but" when seniors chat about other styles, this one was more about Kata and form. They said that Kyokushin was perfect for sport and sparring, but they lacked in Aesthetics when it came to Kata and proper form in techniques. But then he went back to how good they were at sparring.

Kensei

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 8:54am

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    I think that it must be pointed out that not all "shotokan" is created equal. In my dojo we used to do Kumite like Kyokushin does, first guy that hits the floor and does not get back up, or should not, is done. Send in the next guy. Since the 80's have been over for a bit we have had to change and we have lightened up a bit. But I have gone to other Dojos and had seniors out from other clubs that were just as brutal as the old days.

Also not all Kyokushin clubs are created equal. I trained with some Polish guys when they first came over to Canada and they were crazy about hitting, I had to stop them from "taking out" all the new students. Then I have a friend that trains in a Kyokushin club in North Winnipeg and they are very light on sparring and heavy into Kata and reps of basics. t hey put on great work outs, but the contact is scaled way back. I think it depends on the instructor and the students he is aiming at attracting.

We have two Kyokushin clubs in Winnipeg that are fair sized, one is lighter contact than our club and the other club is pretty crazy with the contact. We kind of fall in the middle. Everyone has to realize that in Kyokushin, Shotokan, Tae kwon do and what ever else you may think of that you can train in....The styles are not exactly Black and white, they are rainbows of differences in training practice. :toothy2:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345