Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 1:22pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi-Boy
    Can anybody tell me who Oyama fought for his 300 man kumite?

Or perhaps when?

I remember an interview with Steve Arneil in Fighting Arts International (Old UK TMA mag) where Steve does not know if it ever happened but said it MAY have been true.
    you want someone to list 300 hundred Japanese names?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This page is where I found out about the 300 man kumite.
    http://www.masutatsuoyama.com/100mankumite.htm

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most likely however many students he ha at the time and he fought,

Which means if he had 50 students at the time.They each fought Oyama 6 times.

"....And he would go one day better! He chose the strongest students in his dojo, who were to fight him one at a time until they'd all had a turn, and then they'd start from the beginning again, until the three hundred rounds were up. He defeated them all, never wavering in his resolve, despite the fact that he himself suffered severe ....."

Rince and repeat

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 9:27am

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oyama was a show man and alot of the stories about him are BS or blown out of th realm of reality by a yard. for instance his bull killing, I saw the video, that thing was half dead when it staggered out of the barn! and his weight training, he said that he would do something like 1000 bench press reps a day. Now, I know of a modern guy that tried to repeat this "work out" and he did it one day, it took him the whole day, he did not use full weight ( IE his personal best weight) he went lighter and he still could not move his arm for a week, and he does weights as a regular part of his training, he is in great shape and he said if Oyama could do that EVERYDAY, then he was born on Krypton or something. Most of Oyamas stories are great marketing, but that is about all. the 300 man sparring, was probably more like 30 man tip tap sparring. If you went full contact with 300 guys or even semi by about 100 you would feel like a tenderized T-Bone....lets use our brains and think about it for a second here gang. Probably not the way it went down.

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 12:56pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kensei
    Oyama was a show man and alot of the stories about him are BS or blown out of th realm of reality by a yard. for instance his bull killing, I saw the video, that thing was half dead when it staggered out of the barn! and his weight training, he said that he would do something like 1000 bench press reps a day. Now, I know of a modern guy that tried to repeat this "work out" and he did it one day, it took him the whole day, he did not use full weight ( IE his personal best weight) he went lighter and he still could not move his arm for a week, and he does weights as a regular part of his training, he is in great shape and he said if Oyama could do that EVERYDAY, then he was born on Krypton or something. Most of Oyamas stories are great marketing, but that is about all. the 300 man sparring, was probably more like 30 man tip tap sparring. If you went full contact with 300 guys or even semi by about 100 you would feel like a tenderized T-Bone....lets use our brains and think about it for a second here gang. Probably not the way it went down.
    Well, first off I've never seen the bull videos so I can't comment on that (maybe another Kyokushin guy will know) and I've never heard of the workout routine (though I hear it was greuling and he says the only man who equalled/bettered him was the Judo God Kimura.).

Also, if there's one thing I like about Kyokushin is that compared to a lot of other karate schools out there it doesn't tippy tap. I don't even think my sensei knows what point sparring is. And watch Kancho Matsui's and Filho's 100 man kumite's, they are by far not tippy tap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is great. I love hard training and contact sparring. i just dont like BS claims when the truth is just as good. when people talk about how hard Kyokushin is I do not disagree, those guys are great fighters.....but Oyama is pure BS when it comes to alot of his claims. Not only that but he claimed to be a Judo sandan and a Sandan in Shotokan....he had a brown belt in both. Now, I have nothing against his style, it is pure blood and guts, but alot of the fairy tails that the students are told are bullshido at the best of times.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 2:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kensei
    That is great. I love hard training and contact sparring. i just dont like BS claims when the truth is just as good. when people talk about how hard Kyokushin is I do not disagree, those guys are great fighters.....but Oyama is pure BS when it comes to alot of his claims. Not only that but he claimed to be a Judo sandan and a Sandan in Shotokan....he had a brown belt in both. Now, I have nothing against his style, it is pure blood and guts, but alot of the fairy tails that the students are told are bullshido at the best of times.
    Quite a few guys have undoubtedly done the 100, and Oyama did his 300 over a couple of days, so I see no reason to think it particularly unlikely. Bear in mind that, certainly as it's done now, the fights are limited in length to two minutes, and you only have to win half of them.

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 2:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kansei: Well, Oyama's orginal art WAS Shotokan and he DID train with Kimura for Judo. I'm not exactly saying you're fibbin' here but could I get some sources for your claims? I knew he made it to at least a Dan rank in Shotokan, unsure of his Judo rank and you claim he was a brown belt in both?

PSB: Good point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 2:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese
    Kansei: Well, Oyama's orginal art WAS Shotokan and he DID train with Kimura for Judo. I'm not exactly saying you're fibbin' here but could I get some sources for your claims? I knew he made it to at least a Dan rank in Shotokan, unsure of his Judo rank and you claim he was a brown belt in both?

PSB: Good point.
    My source is Kase Sensei, if you know anything about the JKA you know that he was a pretty big name in that group before he went to france. He told a great story about Oyama and his Judo training. Pardon my length but I will paraphrase it here:
    Kase was training in Judo, had a sandan in Judo as well as his BB in JKA karate. he went to the Judo dojo to train and went against a big Korean who kept trying to do some illegal move on the mat so Kase dropped him with a throw and a shot to the chest. after the work out Oyama brought Kase out for a beer, not knowing who Kase was he began bragging about his "Karate" training. Kase seemed interested till Oyama said he was a senior in the JKA.....Kase said "really, so am I" when Oyama realized the jig was up he admitted he was not quite a brown belt at the time. he quit after he got his brown belt and Kase had kept a eye on him in the training after that, traveleing to the club that Oyama was training at.

Kase basically dispells the story that Oyama got his shodan from the JKA, he is not listed in any Yudansha listings that JKA ever had and Kase says he left to go train at a different style, presumably Goju, then left their when he was a Ikkyu to train on his own.

Again, I am not saying Oyama did not end up knowing his stuff in the end. But he was NOT a JKA black belt.

Kensei

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm... JKA is a Shotokan organization I assume? I'm sorry but it sounds like just some Sensei badmouthing the creator of a different art. Unless I get something more substantial that "Oh, this Big Mucky Muck from Some Shotokan Group" I do not feel inclined to believe it. And this isn't your KK Fanboyism either (I'm Judo first and foremost and Love Kimura with a very un-gay manlove)

Your story seems shaky. Very shaky. You have one story from one guy who fought a "Korean Guy" etc, etc.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast