Posted On:
    7/11/2007 12:41am

Style: Wrestling & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    You're a blithering idiot.
    No. YOU'RE the idioit.

You do Chines Kung Fu. Great. Do what I suggested. Go to your local University to train with some college level Wrestlers. Start using kicks and see how far it gets you. In fact, try using Kung Fu and see how far it gets you. You'll be pinned to the floor in under 30 seconds flat. Your time would have been better spent training in a combat art.

Again I say, if it's striking rules only, yes the side kick can be effective if quick enough. Against a grappler - no chance.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 1:09am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    No. YOU'RE the idioit.

You do Chines Kung Fu. Great. Do what I suggested. Go to your local University to train with some college level Wrestlers. Start using kicks and see how far it gets you. In fact, try using Kung Fu and see how far it gets you. You'll be pinned to the floor in under 30 seconds flat. Your time would have been better spent training in a combat art.

Again I say, if it's striking rules only, yes the side kick can be effective if quick enough. Against a grappler - no chance.
    Nope.

You're definitely a blithering idiot.

This is why n00bs need to sit down and shut up for the first six months of posting here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 1:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Show me where I was wrong.

All Out of Bubblegum

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 2:04am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you said "no chance"

instead of "some chance"
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 3:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please, don't give me that rubbish. I think everyone here has been around long enough to realise using kicks against grapplers equals landing on the floor. Hard. Kickboxing rules - different story. If grappling is allowed, you would be foolish to use it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 7:41am

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, now grappling negates all kicking technique, sure.

Please, do us a favor and forget the "Submit Reply" button even exist. Just do a preview post, masturbate furiously to how intelligent you think you are and log off. This would save everyone's time.

:)

Achievements:
    1 year registeredThree FriendsTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesOverdrive
    Awards:
    Calendar Czar

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 10:18am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    As with many other tactics, especially high kicks of any sort, someone throwing a side kick straight off deserves getting dropped.

Some techniques are made to be openers, a jab, etc.

Others require tactical set-up.
    right,I only ever really land sidekicks under punches, as a counter if someone is rushing me punching and leaning in with both elbows out trying to land that one good shot. that's only if their sloppy, or distracted..outdoors....shoes protect the opponent from the sidekick, I'd rather use the heelbone...but can't, if I"m not in class and in shoes, so they're out for me...too easy to get it caught and twist an ankle or pulled into a crotch ripping split, or punched...or tipped over onto my head. When I'm in public, I always have my instrument. Even tough idiots don't want a guitar wrapped around their head/legs so it's not an issue for me anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 11:03am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    Please, don't give me that rubbish. I think everyone here has been around long enough to realise using kicks against grapplers equals landing on the floor. Hard. Kickboxing rules - different story. If grappling is allowed, you would be foolish to use it.
    If all you do is kick sure. If you set that kick up with other attacks it will be fine. The problem is with the dumbass who throw single kicks. The side kick is not so easy to do in combo with punches because of the SIDE stance required when throwing it.

Kicks ar fine against grappleing. Again I remid you this is the STRIKING board. There is a board dedicated to you talking about how much better grappleing is than striking.

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 11:37am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bosco, you're right for the majority of situations. But I seem to have remembered Mirko Filopevic knocking out quite a few wrestlers with kicks. And some of them were even (gasp) high kicks. Could anyone pull off stuff like this? Hell no. But here's something to think about.

Your average collegiate level wrestler has probably been competing in wrestling for 4 years of high school, perhaps a few in middle school/elementary, then whatever amount of time that they've been in college. This could easily be 8 years of training against resistant opponents. Now, if you pit these guys against your average McDojo karate student, of course they're going to mop up. But what if they went against someone who'd been training and competing in kickboxing, Muay Thai and mma for eight years? Might a kick from an opponent like this be a bit more formidable? Hell yes it would.

I'd still give a pretty heavy edge to the grappler, but I wouldn't say that kicks are something that you can just ignore. And I'd include sidekicks as one of the stronger offensive weapons for some strikers.

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 11:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, that bit about grappling getting into this board may be my fault, as I mentioned shooting-in as a counter (but in a different context than the ring). I should have clarified that, where I worked, we didn't shoot-in-and-grab--it was just a timed-slam to send kickers out the door (if they'd gotten into the club in the first place). The arms and fists were in stonewall, never reaching out for a grab. I'd call that a kind of strike--using the whole body-mass as the impact weapon--but many on this board would likely disagree.

Although shooting-in, in a sport-fighting context, is done as a setup for a clinch or takedown, we didn't do any grabbing, as that would have defeated the purpose of sending the kickers on their flight. My wife, who is Japanese, laughingly calls it my "oshi-dashi"--a Sumo term. I didn't care, as long as I did the "dash" part fast enough not to get clocked. Luckily, it worked.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast