Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 11:55am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vieux, I get what you're saying and it's a completely valid tactic. But I would question how confident you might be in the technique it if the guy throwing the kick was a 260 lb. kickboxer. It obviously worked great for you guys for the situation, but to be honest, you can get away with a lot of **** just by being bigger than someone and by being used to contact. (230 lb. ex footballer myself). But if the guy that you're going against is just as big, strong and tough as yourself, and knows how to kick properly, it could be a different situation.

Incidentally, a good portion of the sidekick happy martial artists that I've met seem to be of the point sparring variety, where they keep their weight too far back. Sometimes they'll knock themselves backward just by making contact which they're not used to. But I've played with some kickboxers who will get a hell of a lot of forward momentum, and will throw their weight into the kick. It's tough to bull through (especially if they're big), and it sucks when they catch you on the ribs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 12:07pm

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    That's something worth trying if you keep tight and they go for your body, but it might get dangerous if they aim for the head.
    Yeah, well, considering how much larger Vieux Normand was compared to the guys that tried that, they'd need to be gymnasts to do it.

It's a nice story to hear, but I wouldn't say it's exactly a good idea without at least 50 lbs on the sidekicker.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 12:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    Tell the truth, you have never fought a grappler before have you ?

Your in Austin. Go to your local University or College. Sit in on a training session with College level Wrestlers. Now step on to the mat with those guys and start whipping out some side kicks. Happy landing.......
    You're a blithering idiot.

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 3:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right, of course, Ryno:

For some reason, the KBers we dealt with (not like it was a common occurrence, but there were times) were mostly slim-and-hard long-limbed max-200-pounders, only a few above that. Since those of us working the doors were more in the wrestling or American-football vein, shoot-and-slam was just second nature. The only skill involved, obviously, was timing: explosively shooting in as soon as the idiot's kicking foot left the ground and being conditioned enough to absorb whatever came our way, as best we could, if necessary.

At the time, I was just over 6' and 258lb. (mid-twenties, age-wise), so slipping a head kick while charging a tall-and-skinny kicker wasn't too challenging...particularly if he was only on one foot when I slammed into him. I remember feeling more impact when absorbing lower kicks, but that shouldn't come as any surprise.

Shooting in on the kickers never failed, regardless of their size--but that could just as easily be a reflection of the idiots trying the kicks. I imagine a good KBer, at the peak of training, would have had better things to do with his time than spending evenings at nightclubs. Anyway, those were different times. With the popularity of MMA these days, shooting-in as a general tactic might present a host of other possible problems...

Cheers.

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 4:52pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No surprise attack works forever, you know. Some day, maybe, we'll see guys knocking each other out with jump spin kicks in the MMA ring, because no one would expect that....now, it might be 50 years from now, of course.

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 8:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No surprise attack works forever?!! Weally and twuly?!!?! I had no idea.

Sarcastron off: I was under the impression that (unless one is dealing with an imbecile) a surprise attack, by definition, would work a grand total of one time. One thing my time at that nightclub door proved beyond a doubt, though--there are a lot of imbeciles out there.

Might be a bit more than fifty years for jump-spins to work in MMA but, hey, I guess anything's possible...

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 9:26pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As with many other tactics, especially high kicks of any sort, someone throwing a side kick straight off deserves getting dropped.

Some techniques are made to be openers, a jab, etc.

Others require tactical set-up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 9:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Side stepping would work pretty good. I'd say just be light on your feet and watch for your opponent telegraphing it.

Genius

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't get past the sidekick, how do you expect to defeat the hero?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 9:57pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With my wits and cunning.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast