Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 8:18am

Style: Wrestling & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The side kick can be a powerful kick no doubt about it. But you can normally see it coming. You have to chamber your kicking leg first and then thrust it out using your hips. The body motion of performing a side kick is alot more awkward then say a roundhouse kick.

If you launch a roundhouse kick out on it's own, yes you can see that comg too. Yes, you are open to a takedown. But you can mask it. Stand in an orthodox fighting stance with your hands up, left foot forward. Throw a straight left, straight righ punch THEN follow with a right turning kick. The turning kick flows on naturally from the one-two punch combination. As a result, the turning kick is harder to defend against.

You can't do that with a side kick. I have seen some people who use the side kick well, but not many. You can see the side kick coming too easily. You need more space and time to execute it. You are right in your last asertion. ANY kick has the possibility to lead to a takedown. Which is exactly why I think kicking is over rated. Especially for street slf defense situations. To tell the truth I'd be scared to attempt kicks agaisnt some of the grapplers I have met....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 11:25am

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting out of the way is nice, but also have to make sure you get the distance right. As JohnnyCache said, the sidekick's there because he wants distance, but do not give him too much of it, or he'll be able to setup another big kick and get the offensive. You want to get just enough distance that the time he takes stabilising again after his kick will be enough for you to be right back in his face. If you move back, move back so that his toes are almost able to tickle your belly or chest, no further.

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 11:34am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    The side kick ? Never trusted it. It's too easy to get take down.

I can't remember ever getting taken down directly from a side kick. I'm generally zoned pretty far outside their lead hand when I throw it, so the angle just isn't right to shoot. I've managed to work to take the back standing against guys that throw them from a more bladed stance, but that's all that really comes to mind.

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 11:35am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The side kick can be a powerful kick no doubt about it. But you can normally see it coming. You have to chamber your kicking leg first and then thrust it out using your hips. The body motion of performing a side kick is alot more awkward then say a roundhouse kick.

If you launch a roundhouse kick out on it's own, yes you can see that comg too. Yes, you are open to a takedown. But you can mask it. Stand in an orthodox fighting stance with your hands up, left foot forward. Throw a straight left, straight righ punch THEN follow with a right turning kick. The turning kick flows on naturally from the one-two punch combination. As a result, the turning kick is harder to defend against.

You can't do that with a side kick. I have seen some people who use the side kick well, but not many. You can see the side kick coming too easily. You need more space and time to execute it. You are right in your last asertion. ANY kick has the possibility to lead to a takedown. Which is exactly why I think kicking is over rated. Especially for street slf defense situations. To tell the truth I'd be scared to attempt kicks agaisnt some of the grapplers I have met....

If you throw the side kick after a failed round, it's much harder to see

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 9:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    If you throw the side kick after a failed round, it's much harder to see
    Tell the truth, you have never fought a grappler before have you ?

Your in Austin. Go to your local University or College. Sit in on a training session with College level Wrestlers. Now step on to the mat with those guys and start whipping out some side kicks. Happy landing.......

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell the truth, you have never fought a grappler before have you ?

Your in Austin. Go to your local University or College. Sit in on a training session with College level Wrestlers. Now step on to the mat with those guys and start whipping out some side kicks. Happy landing.......
    This retarded excuse for an argument is not appropriate for strikeistan. Cease and desist immediately.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 9:40pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here's an idea: if you practice you side kicks , it will normally get faster, which, makes it harder to take you down when you kick faster than they can shoot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 11:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tao
    here's an idea: if you practice you side kicks , it will normally get faster, which, makes it harder to take you down when you kick faster than they can shoot.
    Possibly......

Persoanlly I prefer the front thrust kick or the good ol' turning/roundhous/thai kick. You know what I mean.

Oh and I take my last post back. I forgot this is a striking forum about standup fighting. So I will re-state my point of view. Against a grappler, I would not use it. BUT if it's Kickboxing rules, only stand up fighting then yes I will admit it can work. I have seen a couple of people use it but not many.

Kidspatula, why are you covered in paint ?
    Last edited by Mr Bosco; 7/06/2007 11:28pm at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    watch some sanda/sanshou matches. Side kicks are used frequently and sanda fighters tend to have excellent takedowns.

...the paint is my traditional fairy body decoration. I come from a long line of magical flying warriors.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 12:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast