Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 8:42am

Style: Tae Kwon Do(GTF now)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why don't u just block it with outer section/upper section blocks. i done it and it works(but if u fight with a guy with machine gun-like kicks, that is another story)

(oh yea, blocking jumping side kick should be mentioned too,i do have saw a guy who execute it with devastating result)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 8:49am

Style: Tae Kwon Do(GTF now)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh yea, and 2 more thing, please don't abuse my post( i can't stand it anymore)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 9:33am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_1412
    oh yea, and 2 more thing, please don't abuse my post( i can't stand it anymore)
    This is not the place to come if you do not want a post abused. When I signed up here I took it as a fact that some one would disagree with me in the most assholeish (I am not sure that is a word) way possible, but I think it is fun so I will take the good with the bad.

One of the first fights I ever cornered for the guy in the opposite corner opened with a flying sidekick. He was from a TMA school and we were a Thai Boxing school. My fighter just moved to the side. It was a pretty nasty fight and the other guy’s face looked like raw hamburger after wards. Also it was the other guys first fight in the ring, and we all do dumb nervous stuff the first time in a ring.

So my suggestion to the flying/ump sidekick is to simply make a lateral move and counter with your choice of attacks.

Depending on the style the sidekick will vary in application. In most Japanese styles I have seen the kick is a crossover style kick. This involves the back foot crossing slightly in front of the lead foot, then the hips and leg realigning to create power. This is how it is taught any ways. In use it tends to be like a Teep, but in a side stance.

In TKD it tends to be used with a hop step (think that is the right term). Which is done with what looks like a skip, the leg is chambered and forced out. It also tends to be realistically used like a Teep in a side stance.

In MT we were taught to only use the sidekick as a defensive tool if we missed a RHK in a bad way.

Again as I stated before, lateral food work is the way to deal with a sidekick in most situations.
    Later,
    Zyph

:)

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by forgetit
    Cung what division does he fight in? i think he will get his ass handed to him in MMA fight .
    i actually like Cung Le don't get me wrong there is some serous ly deep talent in UFC, Pride, World Extreme Cage (WEC). Sound to me like you want Cung to get hurt cause a lot of the setup thing he does would not work in an environment that would fight mainly on the ground. Now if they go an fight Cung Le in his enviroment were he is used to the rules he would win.
    The last fight I saw him in was mma. It was against an ex san shou guy....the opponent knew...cung's defence against takedowns is famous in san shou....againt other less reverent fighters?...I don't think they can take him down.....I've never seen him thrown...I saw him go down once (I think a caught kick, counter kick thing), and he ended the fight soon after with his own throw. I think he fights in san shou at 180...don't know about mma. I think you'll be suprised as he makes his way through some other guys.

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 1:52am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now one thing I constantly got dinged with as a counter to a high-ish kick is a sort of aggressive knee shield. The other guy would drive in and forward, a bit off line, and bring his knee up into my leg while keeping his hands high to counter and smother any punches. I think this was probably because I was a bit too close, but somebody able to close fast would be able to do it too. After his knee comes up and forward it drops into a falling step. The kick gets knocked a bit off and the guy countering gets too close for it to really deliver any power.

That counter does require a bit off oomph forward while you're on one leg though, so I can't say how it would work against anybody with good takedowns.

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 5:28pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy
    I would agree with kidspatula that getting offline is the best idea. There's not alot you can do with the higher kicks except get out of the way.

Let him start his sidekick and move to his outside and in (sort of a diagonal movement) so that you're out of the way but still getting closer to him. He should essentially have his back to you and you can grab his shoulders and sweep his supporting leg out from under him. You can also grab the kicking leg as you move, which will buy you a second more to sweep him and allow you to let him land a little more gently, if you're so inclined.

Another thing you can do is to slightly move one of your elbows so that the point of it catches the side of their foot or ankle. It isn't going to stop the kick, but it is going to hurt and might dampen some of their enthusiasm for kicking. Catching an elbow will give them something to think about the next time they want to kick.
    If you have tight timing, you can sandwich it with your knee and elbow like a lethwei pinch(also real common in sikran). I'm not fond of doing this to guys I spar with regularly, because eventually they just decide to up the brutality a few days after their ankle stops hurting.

Posted On:
    6/26/2007 5:34pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    The evasion part I already suggested in my first post, the leg pump is kind of bleh. If someone had a really slow/weak side kick then maybe I'd try something like that. Otherwise, it seems like you'd mostly just end up eating the kick (and if it's exactly what I'm thinking) likely end up getting knocked on your ass if the kick is strong.
    I've usually done it agaisnt guy's with slower legs. I definately wouldn't aim directly for the ankle unless through some insane circumstance there were a self-defense reason to use a defense against a sidekick(I pray to get mugged by a TKD'r everyday). My kali instructer generally angles out a little, raises up the knee, and pops down his off hand to guide the leg into it before he drops the elbow. Prior to contact the elbow that's going to be dropped is covering his face. This seems to work fairly regularly.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 1:34am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Founder of College Park Mixed Martial Arts Style: BJJ, San Shou, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends if it is with the rear or front leg and at what point you start to deal with the kick.
    If you can tell it is coming at you early, you want to quickly close moving towards the fighters back/rear. This can jam the kick before it really begins and leaves you in a pretty dominate situation. If it is late, you can swivel with your hips and try to slip the kick. I try to use my forearm to take the kick and then snatch the leg up if I am doing something that allows grabbing.
    If it is with the rear leg, lean to the outside and throw a hard roundhouse to their thigh. If your slick, you can also attack their shin with your elbow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 7:16am

Style: Wrestling & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The side kick ? Never trusted it. It's too easy to get take down.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 7:34am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never had that problem with the sidekick. TKD style roundkicks, and to a lesser extent MT style roundkicks lead to take downs much more often than my sidekick attempts in my experience. What about the dynamic of the sidekick makes it more susceptible to takedowns in your opinion?
    And to head off a few common answers:
    Any kick will involve you standing on one leg and hence being less stable than standing on both legs.
    Any kick has the possiblity of being caught and used to take you down.
    Any kick has the potention to miss and result in an off balance situation.

I eagerly await your reply.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast