Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    wait... what? where does this kind of **** come from?

Style: Kempo
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:17pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So wait you guys never used a leg pump to stop a side kick or evasions to not get get hit by a side kick.
    I said I agree catching there foot doesn't happen often, has it never happened to you?

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Style: Kempo
    :(

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Guardian
    So wait you guys never used a leg pump to stop a side kick or evasions to not get get hit by a side kick.
    I said I agree catching there foot doesn't happen often, has it never happened to you?
    A rising knee check is one thing, but usually used against round kicks preferably as side kicks and front/push kicks send you backwards off-balance if they are strong enough.

Trying to catch ANY kick between your elbow and knee is an asinine thing to do.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The evasion part I already suggested in my first post, the leg pump is kind of bleh. If someone had a really slow/weak side kick then maybe I'd try something like that. Otherwise, it seems like you'd mostly just end up eating the kick (and if it's exactly what I'm thinking) likely end up getting knocked on your ass if the kick is strong.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 5:25pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People who like to establish range with 'pushy' side kicks tend throw more then one in a match - if the guy gets into a 'side kick rut' of you making a rush, him pushing you out, he'll probably neglect to come all the way out of a TKD style side stance. Once way to deal with this is with a quick kicking combo - Throw a front-leg leg/cut kick to the back of his thigh, preferably right when he puts his foot down, then a back leg leg-kick to the front of his thigh - you'll either hit him one or more times or he'll change feet, since he can't thai sheild the back of his thigh against the first one. He might also do a down block, in which case your shin should numb his arm, and your jab should find his face in place of his second kick. This is a good spot to double up a jab.

Now he's back in your world for a little bit.

You can also jam them, either with your front foot to the knee/thigh or by closing.

See, you really start having trouble with the kick when you start giving him the distance he's trying to establish, making it easier for him to throw another side kick. A side kick has power at a pretty specific part of it's extension, and inside or outside that window you've got a lot of options, so press the guy HARDER when he asks you for space, if that makes sense.

YMMV, I take no legal responsibility for you getting KTFO, etc etc
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 2/11/2007 5:28pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:41am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Guardian
    i was referring to the idea of catching someones foot in between your elbow and knee, and breaking it. that is pretty ridiculous. yes my foot has been caught, no its never been snapped like a twig.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 2:56am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most kempo styles I've seen have a technique called "snapping twig"...

In choy li fut and silat, one counter used is shifting back out of range and slapping the kick downwards with a slight sticking/pulling quality to off balance the person and make them plant their foot. As this is happening you shift forward and use the lead hand to attack the eyes. This also serves to shield you from hand strikes. With gloves you just stuff your lead hand into their face and follow up. I tend to follow things like this by stepping into a leg kick. One of the problems with this method is that if it happens to be a head level kick it becomes difficult.

Generally in sparring we train to scoop the leg to the outside, and that's what I do the most against side kicks to the body.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 9:49am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickeroon1987
    Has anyone seen a match finish with a side kick that wasn't in a TKD/kicks only contest?
    One of Cung Le's fights he KOs the guy with a jump reverse sidekick. Catches him right under the ribs it looks like, dude is on his way down and Cung tags him in the face with a punch, but he is CLEARLY already out of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 7:40pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Thanks for the tips. Just so I understand you correctly, you're advocating doing the same counter to a teep right? I don't understand why yet, but it didn't seem to work as well.
    Yes, there are several things to do against a teep that apply to the side kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfrkFCPLLmc

Watch how Le Banner scoops the leg from underneath with the same side arm as the kick is coming from(his right arm, opponents left foot). There's no one way to deal with it, all should work, scoop or parry it away, then move in either holding his leg, or after throwing his leg to the inside to off balance him.

Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    The problem is in order to even get to box him, I have to first get past his side kick. Without a safe strategy to do that I'm just eating kick after kick.

My natural reflex was to just move back and wait for his leg to land, then low kick his leg, but it's quite dangerous as I'm just moving back in a straight line.
    Learn to deal with it and use the angles like other people said. Learn to recognize the sidekick and move to his outside, then drill him with a nice hook or cross. Don't advance backwards in a straight line, move back at an angle.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 9:02pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all game theory: When he falls into that side kick game, he's saying "Keep away, I want some space to set up techniques, some room to wind them up, some time to rest"

When someone sends you a message like that, all you have to do is decide what they're REALLY trying to do, and do the opposite.

Another thing you can do is circle the guy faster, so little shuffling steps can't keep you in front of him - if you make him pick up his feet, you'll have more chances to pop him without him throwing a side kick.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast