Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 7:27am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Scoop them.
    What if it's a high one, about chest level and above?

I had one thought that I'd like to try out after thinking about it for awhile.

- pretend to step in to kick, baiting him to throw the side kick
    - step towards his back side
    - right cross to chin or chop his supporting leg

Haven't tried it on a live opponent yet, so don't know if it'll work.

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 7:34am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-conspiricy
    I spent 4 months in China, and luckily met a guy who enthusiastically trained Sanda. The best way to deal with a side kick is to parry them with a downward scooping motion. Scoop to their inside, and some sweet counter options present themselves.
    Thanks for the tips. Just so I understand you correctly, you're advocating doing the same counter to a teep right? I don't understand why yet, but it didn't seem to work as well.

BTW it was just a sparring session, not a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by chi-conspiricy
    Like Ashly said, work your footwork. Either get comfy fighting from a Clinch where he'll be trying to throw you, or keep your distance and out box him. Finally, throw some proper round kicks in there following a jab or cross, and show him why China had to make up a watered down version of Thailand's national sport.:evil4:
    The problem is in order to even get to box him, I have to first get past his side kick. Without a safe strategy to do that I'm just eating kick after kick.

My natural reflex was to just move back and wait for his leg to land, then low kick his leg, but it's quite dangerous as I'm just moving back in a straight line.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Wow, I was shocked to open this thread and not see, "LOL u sux ass. Side kicks are for pussies, just shoot under the leg and GnP his face noob!"

Then I remembered we were in Strikeistan...thank god for specialized forums.
    I pretty strictly clean all that nonsense out of this forum.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 1:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    What if it's a high one, about chest level and above?

I had one thought that I'd like to try out after thinking about it for awhile.

- pretend to step in to kick, baiting him to throw the side kick
    - step towards his back side
    - right cross to chin or chop his supporting leg

Haven't tried it on a live opponent yet, so don't know if it'll work.
    The high, fast ones can be troublesome. In my fight against Jennifer Han I was getting eaten up bad with push kicks to the chest (my right boob was sore as hell after that fight). I think one good way of dealing with those is to lean back in anticipation for them, taking away most of the impact (it's hard to get as much penetration on the higher straight kicks) and catch the foot as they try to bring it back. Maybe not the best way, but I see a lot of people using this method pretty successfully.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 3:04pm

Style: Shorin-Ryu/beginning Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would agree with kidspatula that getting offline is the best idea. There's not alot you can do with the higher kicks except get out of the way.

Let him start his sidekick and move to his outside and in (sort of a diagonal movement) so that you're out of the way but still getting closer to him. He should essentially have his back to you and you can grab his shoulders and sweep his supporting leg out from under him. You can also grab the kicking leg as you move, which will buy you a second more to sweep him and allow you to let him land a little more gently, if you're so inclined.

Another thing you can do is to slightly move one of your elbows so that the point of it catches the side of their foot or ankle. It isn't going to stop the kick, but it is going to hurt and might dampen some of their enthusiasm for kicking. Catching an elbow will give them something to think about the next time they want to kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:00pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it is to the body I either evade or use a leg pump - hopefully you catch there foot between your knee and elbow and break it, if it is up high best bet is to just evade, use your angles.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:07pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Making a big step forward and to the outside, leaning back a bit while kicking the supporting leg is also pretty solid though it requires mo betta timing then scooping or just maintaining circular movement all the time.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Guardian
    If it is to the body I either evade or use a leg pump - hopefully you catch there foot between your knee and elbow and break it, if it is up high best bet is to just evade, use your angles.

I don't really see this happening too often.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:11pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, it does not happen often. It is nice when it does though - wishful thinking

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Guardian

wait... what? where does this kind of **** come from?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast