:)

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 8:02am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Kicks don't work against grapplers? Someone should tell the guys fighting in the MMA this, they don't seem to cooperate with this rule.

As far as the side-kick, I like to bash my elbow on top of the foot as I use foot work to evade. It's a dick move to do when sparring though.

yeah, more of a full contact move...but very nice indeed.

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 8:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zyph, Thai boxers have trouble in San Da....because they don't train to be thrown. And the smart ones stay to Muay Thai and Kickboxing. If you see the vid, the thai boxer can't get those roundkicks off and keep his leg. Our teacher trains us to catch the roundkick, if possible, and charge in, falling on them. It works...and it makes people not want to roundkick....like his opponent. Once that was established it was over, Will's got too many tools.

Buakow is amazing...but if his opponents could pick him up, and throw him to the ground...it would be harder for him, and he'd have to train for it. I've only seen him in Muay Thai and K1...not the same.
    It's not our fault if Muay Thai schools are generally fighting in San Da here in the Northeast..we don't control that. Takedown defense isn't treated with the same urgency in some fighting sports as it is in San Da. Will lost a descision in a Muay Thai bout a few months ago, and he's amazing...but it's the rules of the sport relative to the training that counts. Throws are how to score the most in San Da, unless you can end it all at once.

To get back on topic, Will usually backs of and circles around if I throw sidekicks, or catches them and I go down shortly thereafter, or he'll kick my supporting leg, or throw an overhand right counter from the catch.

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:23am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    Zyph, Thai boxers have trouble in San Da....because they don't train to be thrown. And the smart ones stay to Muay Thai and Kickboxing.
    There's nothing smart in that. If you fight just to win, and won't take part because you have a bigger chance of losing, you'll never learn anything, and your art just stagnates.

Like Kyokushin.

Over here, it's the same. Muay thai guys will fight in Sanda matches and kickboxing matches, but you won't see Sanda guys fighting in muay thai matches. Some do crossover and do muay thai, but the purists don't take part in muay thai comps.

I actually admire this aspect of muay thai. You never learn anything if you keep to your own all the time.

Buakow is amazing...but if his opponents could pick him up, and throw him to the ground...it would be harder for him, and he'd have to train for it. I've only seen him in Muay Thai and K1...not the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf1tYh2LIVY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:50am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zyph, Thai boxers have trouble in San Da....because they don't train to be thrown. And the smart ones stay to Muay Thai and Kickboxing. If you see the vid, the thai boxer can't get those roundkicks off and keep his leg. Our teacher trains us to catch the roundkick, if possible, and charge in, falling on them. It works...and it makes people not want to roundkick....like his opponent. Once that was established it was over, Will's got too many tools.
    I don't think this is true. As far as I know, Muay Thai does allow grabbing your opponent's leg and also throwing him from the clinch.
    Last edited by jeansberg; 7/16/2007 5:52am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 7:36am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks PPlate, I couldn't find that fight. I have also seen, taught, and done throws from the clinch and the double underhook in clinch defence. Guess those rules sets depend on where you are.

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 4:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeansberg
    I don't think this is true. As far as I know, Muay Thai does allow grabbing your opponent's leg and also throwing him from the clinch.
    I meant the training. You can catch, and kick legs out...but thai boxing doesn't allow judo or wrestling throws...and they don't train for it enough to breeze through san da fighters who do...that's all I'm saying. Like a kickboxer, trying to outpunch a boxer of similar skill and size....not very likely, even though it's fine to punch in kickboxing and it is in the training.

San da to mma, could be tough, because in san da, if nothing happens in the clinch after a few seconds, we're broken apart by ref, and start over. It's hard to go from any fighting sport to another without some really good old fashioned hard work and training.

:evil4: That said, I'm in awe of the conditioning of Thai boxers....unreal, or at least hard earned.

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    There's nothing smart in that. If you fight just to win, and won't take part because you have a bigger chance of losing, you'll never learn anything, and your art just stagnates.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf1tYh2LIVY
    I agree with what you said, but it can be smart to stick to a specialty in sports.
    It doesn't mean not raising your own bar....but if you've seen boxers fight kickboxers, you know what usually happens with that matchup, it's a good indicator of how one fighting sport can be so different from another, and without well earned muscle memory and sport specific reflexes, it can be dangerous.

Knees to the head in Muay thai is a big departure from san da, where they aren't allowed.
    San da, no attacking the joints, no elbows(in us rules), limited clinch time...these are parts of the sport. San shou fighters play to the sport...there's no shame in trying to be great at one fighting sport.

If you do BJJ, do you want to do Judo, or Sambo automatically? I doubt it unless super talented and cross trained. wrestlers go to vale tudo? Do all tag karate or TKD men go to kickboxing tournaments? from no head punches to lots of them? it's all difficult, and the guys who do it well....are tough enough and well trained enough to have done it in any fighting sport just about.
    Sorry to drive the point into the ground...I'm a lead guitarist, doesn't mean I can play a mean bass (though I can)....different, but similar needs. Some people want to specialize, I don't get hired to play drums in the studio.

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and for the record Buakow is the ****....seriously tough that young man is. He could take apart just about anyone his weight...and is the exception to many rules about style. He's a natural fighter....could have done anything.
    RESPECT

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh Christ, I ignore my duties as a mod for a week and look at the **** that gets posted...

Mr Brosco, cease and desist this line of bullshit immediately or your strikeistan posting privileges will be taken away. If you want to argue striking vs grappling, take it to YMAS.

I'll leave this **** here for now because I'm too lazy to weed out all the bullshit at the moment.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 5:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyph
    Thanks PPlate, I couldn't find that fight. I have also seen, taught, and done throws from the clinch and the double underhook in clinch defence. Guess those rules sets depend on where you are.
    For san da, I only know of what the USKBA rules are. I'd read in China they've experimented with knees to head, and once or twice with elbow strikes...and my understanding is, :ninjadancthose were attempts to bring the rules closer for Thai Boxing vs san da matches....don't know how it turned out though.

:ninjadanc :ninjadanc :ninjadanc:ninjadanc:ninjadanc:ninjadanc
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast